1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun Finalist for MIP Award 2023-2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 21, 2024.

?

Will Sengun win MIP for 2023-24?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Mr. Alperen wasn't on the Rockets I would trade 4 top four picks to get him (only 3 for Colby).

Mathloom and J.R. like this.
  2. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

3. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Is he on the 2 yard line?

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Alpi was a beast even before the draft. He was MVP in a legitimate mens league at 17. We had an egghead coach who wanted to bench him for Bruno Fernando and a massive ballhog who only ever played for himself and had a dribble addiction running point. A real coach and a real PG came in and Alpi was able to show who he always was. Yes, he's gotten better too but this guy was always in him.

Do you know why Coby White is making 11M a year on his rookie extension when his peers are already in the 40M range? Cause he was balls. He was a bust. He looked like Aaron Holiday when he was on his rookie contract. Now he's 19 5 5 almost out of nowhere. That should be the guy.

cumutk, Mr. Dominant and noppeper like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

Maxey stocks paying great dividends :cool:

Mr. Dominant likes this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

so the guy who failed badly only to improve to a point below his natural trajectory deserves the trophy? IMO he should hardly be in the convo.
    If Silas let him, or if udoka came in last year, Sengun could be mip last year. By your logic he never deserves the trophy because he had Silas as a coach.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

butthurt sengunians. butthurt sengunians everywhere

Reeko likes this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He may not have won MIP, but he did get more votes than Kawhi again. Love to see it.

harold bingo and Mr. Dominant like this.
  9. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Even if he didn’t win the award, no player made a bigger tangible/intangible jump for me this year. Am I biased? **** yes. But seeing Alpi anchor a very very stingy defense while learning a new offensive system was incredibly fun. I also think he was figuring something out with Jalen and the system—the last few games before his injury were just beautiful.

I have a feeling that we’ll be seeing another jump next season. I can’t wait for this offseason to be over (only 6 months left..)

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am all for skipping MIP directly jumping to All NBA 3rd Team or 2nd Team.;););)

11. cumutk

cumutk Member

Alperen Sengun is the future of NBA, not only Rockets.
    While some idiot fans hype about athletic, but basketball fundamental ignorant and lazy players, He is the new face of European dominance in NBA.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Always felt All NBA was the most achievable award for him, especially vs all star. Maxey was crowned pre season as long as he kept pace or improved.

clos4life likes this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly, the narrative was already in place. That being said, Maxey deserved it, it's not a travesty that he won it. I am glad Alpi was in the conversation though.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sengun was actually near even odds with Maxey for a little bit in the middle of the season. He definitely could've won if he kept that same pace. The problem is he was quite a bit worse in the back half of the season, and then he got injured. But if he maintained the same level of play from his first ~35 games throughout the whole season I think he would've won it. Or at least it would've been very close.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope he changes things in Turkey and Turkey becomes more like Serbia in terms of basketball talent output.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The team was pretty bottom tier bad around February and end January........and FVV, DB and Jabari got injured. Amen was not playing that much.

He taped large areas of his Lower back......and it seemed to bother him.

I think the Game in Chicago was the one where he just flat out failed to score in the 1st half.....0 or 2 points.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Maxey averaging 31, 5, and 7 in the playoffs so far…don’t even know why this thread is still open

18. sefril

sefril Member

I thought that MIP is based on regular season performance.
    "The NBA's Most Improved Player Award (MIP) is an annual National Basketball Association (NBA) award given to the player who has shown the most progress during the regular season compared to previous seasons."
    That's why they gave the award before first round even ended, right?
    :D

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

and Maxey is continuing to show in the postseason why he is indeed the legit MIP…

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just so y'all know where this is coming from.

lol

Actually - are you "Big-O" on Rocketswatch and Twitter?