1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Robert Land on YouTube mentioned that Tyus Jones and Malik Monk are UFA 's. I like Tyus, but he won't get minutes with FVV. Amen is not ready for the role of a reliable backup PG. Stone might have to bring back Aaron Holiday on the vet minimum.

Malik Monk would be terrific. The NT-MLE is around 12 M if I'm not mistaken. That won't be enough for him. I'm not willing to depart with Cam Whitmore at all for him.

Malik Beasley might be obtainable since he's a UFA. He should replace the highly disappointing Reggie Bullock.

#301 saleem, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Don't tell @mightybosstone he objected to all the players mentioned when I said it

Malik Monk
    Tyus Jones
    Jalen Smith
    even Paul George

only one not mentioned was Malik Beasley.....but he was mentioned in another podcast

I didn't mention McDermott because his defense is suspect and not sure Ime will play him.

and

Joe Harris shot like 32% from 3 this year.

don grahamleone, cheke64 and saleem like this.
  3. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Tyus Jones and Jalen Smith are both really interesting ideas. Tyus may not want to come off the bench, but I'd love to have someone who can run the offense and limit Fred's nights where he played so many minutes. I also like Amen not having to come in and run the offense just yet. He can do it in bursts or if there's an injury, but I like that he was able to focus on finishing at the rim and playing defense. I want him to focus much more on developing his shot than reading NBA defenses, at least for one more year.

Jalen Smith does a lot of what Jabari does, so I think he'd be a good person to battle with in practice and compete for minutes with.

jch1911 and ilias like this.
  4. ilias

ilias Member

Like both Tyus and Jalen Smith. We would need to get rid of Jeff Green, Boban, and one of Landale/Adams to give Jalen Smith enough minutes. Tyus would take some burden off FVV, and would allow Amen to continue playing as a forward. I don’t think we need another scoring guard off the bench like Beasley or Monk - Cam should take these minutes/shots. Would be open to upgrading our starting guards if we find true long-term upgrades, eg Mitchell, Bridges.

highpost1388 likes this.
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Jalen Smith and Jones are interesting I agree, Jones as FVV backup and Smith looks like a decent option with good spacing. They might be redundant though as FVV and Jabari are, or likely will become better over time or Jones may have a higher price tag to get.

Really for versatility a player who is totally different with different strengths to change the game for playoff matchups would be someone I would like.

I agree with others who've posted, that an athletic, strong defensive backup big with a wingspan who can move his feet like Robert Williams did for Ime in Boston is a great complement to Sengun. A high motor, vertical threat, and if he can space the floor that is an ideal scenario. Might be tough to find but the draft and moves that don't hinder our core might yield some potential.

6. mightybosstone

lol. Definitely not at all what I said. Go back to my prior posts. I'm not opposed to the Rockets adding pieces, particularly shooters. In fact I've suggested in other threads that they need to add shooting through the draft and/or free agency. What I'm opposed to is the idea that they should dump Fred's contract as a means to do it. If you dump your second best player and your primary playmaker and you only add a role player or two to replace them, that's a net loss in talent and value. Your logic made no sense.

roslolian likes this.
  7. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I like the idea of versatility, but honestly, I'm here for redundancy. I like what we have, but FVV and Jabari not really having a similar replacement kills the rhythm of the team I think. If we ran a second unit of Tyus/Cam/Amen/Jalen Smith/Adams that's not a huge drop off from the starting line ups. We could really wear teams down and plug and play lots of different guys who have the hot hand without changing schematically too much.

Moe likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jalen Smith looks like a more consistent Jabari with a bit more bounce.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I have a feeling Monk's gonna get the craziest contract of the off-season. Something like an insanely high number but short guaranteed years like the FVV contract. The Magic could give him something like 80M for two years with a team option on the second just so they have someone that can shoot.

BaselineFade and saleem like this.
  11. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I get the idea, and they're solid players to pick up true. But if you're predictable you can be game-planned for easier in a seven-game playoff series, which is how I ask myself how a player would fare, but to each their own. You can win in different ways though.

Many times good second units can shock the opposing team with a different style as well as a similar one. If the players are good it can work out either way though. But a good backup defensive big for large centers or bigs like Jokic, Gobert, who can move his feet to guard/do a solid job defensively with Chet, Zion, etc., and vertical threat/space the floor would benefit us in our conference. We'll see what happens.

#311 OkayAyeReloaded, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    highpost1388 likes this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Any interest in Brandon Ingram if he becomes available?

Mr.Scary, saleem and Corrosion like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

If Jalen Smith was a consistent Jabari Pacers woulda locked him up.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

unfortunately he’s averaging like 57 games a season since his only healthy season back in 2016. He can’t stay healthy. I’d still roll the dice on him for the right deal because when he plays he’s very good, and he’s just now beginning his prime.

saleem and theDude like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You overcomplicate things in your head.

and you obviously way overrated Fred VanVleet. Tyus Jones is better than FVv at probably half
    the cost. Shot around 41% from 3 if I'm not mistaken. He would back up Amen. Amen at 6'7"
    and seeing over the top would play pitch-n-catch with guys that can actually make their
    shots while then having more space in the paint to make fine passes to those slashing.
    Amen numbers would take off.

multiple decent 3-point shooters spread the floor. Fred VanVleet $40M buys you 3 or 4 decent
    3-point shooters that can spread the floor. Again depending on their wages, $10M, $15M or $20M.

You clearly do not see how Amen can influence the game to a higher level than FVv......because
    you are too much about clearly overrating FVv from pedestrian to superstar levels.

Give Amen some spacing from multiple shooters and he will do just fine. You will see.

#316 ApacheWarrior, Apr 24, 2024
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rockets should try to get Durant if PHX implodes

We a rising power. Send them Jabari Smith and some picks and salary like Jocko - if they want more bros than picks give them Cam or Jalen since they hate each other.

Sengun
    Durant
    Eason/Brooks (unless 1 is traded)
    Green/Cam/whoever not traded
    FVV

Thompson for 6th man swiss army knife of the year

Bros that's 50 wins

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Durant is close to retirement age. What are you smoking?

19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Offseason plan:
    • Find a FA with the MLE that can steer the ship when FVV sits. Low turnovers, good defense and good 3pt shooting. Tyus Jones would be perfect but he will probably cost more than 12m per season MLE.
    • Draft a big. Clingan or trade back.
    • Bring back Jock, Tate, Jeff and Holiday.

FVV/Free Agent/Holiday
    Green/Whitmore
    Brooks/Amen/Tate
    Bari/Tari/Jeff
    Sengun/Adams/Landale/Rookie

FA Targets in no real particular order
    Tyus Jones
    Deanthony Melton
    Gary Trent Jr
    Jose Alvarado
    Kris Dunn
    Monte Morris
    Cam Payne
    Patrick Beverly
    Kyle Lowery
    Gary Payton II
    Dennis Smith Jr
    Spencer Dinwiddie
    Delon Wright
    Jordan McLaughlin

#319 DM'sVP, Apr 24, 2024
    jch1911 likes this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Breh let's get real - 35 yo Durant both

1) played more minutes than any of our young brehs last year and

2) was better in them than any of our brehs.

It's just true - old Durant > inkown commodities