1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car Transmission issues

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Apr 23, 2024.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

After getting my transmission flushed 1 month ago, a sudden onset of new problems started. Now, the mechanic is telling me the transmission is bad. Should I lawyer up?

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How old is the car?

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

2014, 140k miles

4. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Nissan?

Salvy and htownrox1 like this.
  5. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I mean it’s just as likely bad luck. Can you get a second opinion to ensure the flush was done correctly? If nothing was done wrong, then there was no real harm.

Xerobull and clos4life like this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What's the blue book value?

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

When our truck completely stalled, the tow truck driver said they never did the flush. The oil was too black to be recently changed

Ubiquitin likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I think the most logical approach would be to go to a different mechanic, have them fix the issue, and then sue the original mechanic in small claims court, using the documentation from the second mechanic as justification to recoup the cost and time. But I’m also not a lawyer, and I’m wrong about everything

10. Buck Turgidson

[insert Thunderbolt Transmission commercial here]

Xerobull, clos4life, Colt45 and 4 others like this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Pro life tip: don't flush transmission fluids if you haven't done regular changes (whatever the manual says).

Flushing often introduces new issues.

If you haven't done regular changes (drain/fill), then you need to just do drain and fill..it won't get all the fluid out the first time but go back and do another one in 250-500 miles.....doing this 3x is much safer than doing those flushes.

A transmission fluid flush can cause debris to circulate and clog parts of your transmission, which may lead to more harm than a simple drain and refill. The flushing procedure may cause some fluid to move in the opposite direction of normal flow due to eddy currents, which may increase the risk of dislodging debris and causing it to settle somewhere it shouldn't
    https://www.cars.com/articles/do-yo...n the other,clog up other passages downstream.

clos4life, A_3PO, ElPigto and 8 others like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Give me make/model depends on transmission type... Did you ever check the fluid color after they supposedly flushed it? Also, did you have transmission issues prior to flush?

Any check engine/transmission lights depending on car, might just be ses/ce etc.

Most likely it's burnt up, especially if it was changed... It can happen pretty fast after unnecessary flush, especially if it wasn't maintained properly prior. Like flushing 140k... Especially if it's working/no issues really asking for Trouble.

@Sajan advice is go to/correct. But I'll take risks since I can rebuild it myself, with that said if I worked on your car I wouldn't have flushed it/taken those risks. I'd have fixed the issue first then maybe take risks depending on what we're looking at/if I felt could save person money vs whole transmission/rebuild etc. I also would never flush persons car at 140k and would have done procedure similar to Sajan mentioned while also Discussing potential risks ahead of time.

Did they even mention how they flushed it?

On Mercedes silly/overengineered 722.9 transmission... They walked back statement that fluid never needs to be changed, and it's definitely for the better on those. Great when they're working smoothly, a real headache when you have issues.

#13 CCity Zero, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  14. droxford

droxford Member

ya lazy bum

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if they actually flushed the transmission. I wouldn't do it. Draining the fluid does the job and if it had never been drained, I would of just crossed my fingers at that point and not touched it. Good luck OP.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Blessing in disguise, now you can do a manual swap....

Bandwagoner and MexAmercnMoose like this.
  18. droxford

droxford Member

Seriously, though... This shop gets very good reviews. NOTE: I've never taken my car to this shop. I just got this from search results.

A-Plus Transmission
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/M5kY6Wi4Y3TCFEFL6

If you take your car there, let us know how it worked out.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Second opinion. What side of town are you on?

Also, thanks for the great nostalgia boost in this thread.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You’re looking at $3500 for a new transmission. So, new car time versus pumping that money into a 140k car.