1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Trae Young is instant offense and would make you forget FVV in a heartbeat. He’s basically the closest thing to Steph Curry and Dame that is available and would be just what we need.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Hell no to the rat! Instant most dislikeable team in the league with Brooks and him.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is the reason they pair him up with Wemby, Luka, another superstar type.

Lillard is too old, Trae is at least young enough to play alongside Antetokounmpo.

4. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

It's okay. It must not be east being a Gen Z wannabe thinking AI is the basketball god. We all get it

#304 Castian Crew, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

Embrace the hate

6. Radricky

Radricky Member

I’m not sure about his defense but Trae young is one of my favorite non rocket players to watch.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  7. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Hawks Season ticketholder. Trae Young is a great player. He is a much better defender than he gets credit for, he is just undersized. I would rather have him than someone like Curry or Lillard who just doesn't play D period.

Trae is a great shooter and passer who is not afraid of the moment, and he is pretty durable, which is amazing considering his size. This was probably the first year where he had an injury that kept him out for extended time, and it was to a finger/hand, not a knee, so there should be no long term impacts.

If I am the Spurs, Lakers or Bucks, I would try to put together a package for him. You don't think Lakers wished they had Trae last night? I bet Lebron does.

highpost1388, meh, Williamson and 2 others like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No thank you

cmoak1982 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

fun to watch, ole. Oops, ole? Ole D. Trey makes some former Rox Star look interested in D.

cultural fit with Ime? No way, ole…

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I expect DMurray to go because he is tradable.

I believe DjM would fit nicely in TheToyShop. Might be attainable for Bari, Jock, Nets ‘24 pick

I say yes, WHOSEZNO???

11. MystikArkitect

Jalen Green is a better defender today than Trae Young will ever be. He's too small. Rockets need a movement shooter with some size. Warming up to the idea of Dalton Knecht.

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I realize guys like Trae are not perfect. However, it was pretty clear last year that we desperately need consistent offense from the guard position. At the end of the day, we have six great, very young prospects. If we pick this year, we'll have 7. And I'm fine with this, BUT if you can trade one of our prospects (sans Amen or Sengun) and the #9 pick for a major offensive upgrade, you have to consider it since we'd still have five young prospects to develop. This isn't a situation where we'd be bereft of young talent if we make a trade.

Y2JT, meh and Strawberry Gum like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Trae Young plays heliocentric offense like Houston Harden, but his talent and impact isn’t even half of what prime Harden’s was

hell, I don’t even think Trae Young’s impact surpasses current aging James Harden

he’s also gotta be in the running for worst defensive guard in the league…Joe Biden could get buckets on Trae Young

xiki likes this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wasn't in favor of it until you put it that way. That sounds fun. Houston vs. Everybody!

15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

They’d want another Guard. Theyre deeper in The frontcourt.

If we could do Amen, nets pick and Tate, then you have to do it.

xiki likes this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

The thing about fandom is that despite the fact that they constantly complain about the national media hating on their team, and how outsiders don't watch enough about their team to know how their players really are... they don't actually bother to research into other teams' players and essentially just parrot national media talking heads when speaking of other players.

It's so clear from this thread that most comments about Young are how you can't win with him, despite the fact that he led his team to the ECFs, something none of the Rockets prospects has even come close to doing since entering the league. We aren't even talking about fans here not watching Young. They don't even have basic knowledge of him available on his BRef page.

17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just not comfortable with Young as a part of any Big 3 that we may max. We already have young guys who are talented but deficient in certain areas of their games. As good as Trae may be offensively, his lack of defense in terms of size and effort are seriously lacking. If we trade for a star please let him be a two way player with no obvious holes in their game.

Besides, he doesn't fit what the type of style or culture that Ime is putting in place. Atlanta made a desperate move and thought that Young and Murray would put them over the top. I fear that desperation would lead us down a similar path. Let Young go wherever , and stay focused on developing the core. If we trade for "star" it has to be the right player. And I don't want to pay Young and pay him max money. He works better with a lob threat at center anyway. He wouldn't fit here. Second round may be our ceiling with him.

18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of fans see that post season run as a fluke. Simmons choking ect. They have been in decline since then. I know how electric he can be offensively. I just think that we could do better.

BamBam likes this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It’s easy to write it off as a “fluke.” The fact is that it happened, and regardless, Trae has been pretty damn good in the playoffs.
    IMG_3619.jpeg

No Worries and BaselineFade like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Honestly, I don't think we have the defense to absorb Trae Young's inability to defend anyone ever. Are we really hoping Alpi, Jalen, and Jabari find a way to make up for the utter lack of defense Trae would introduce? Seems like a pipe dream to me.

harold bingo likes this.