1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1gb, 2gb, 5gb, 8gb - which to choose?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Feb 23, 2024.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds dope. I'm not a huge ATT schill or anything but they've been fantastic for me overall. I can sayh that too because they didn't skimp on parts of my neighborhood which is sounds like they did for you. Only knock is they are kind of stupid in not laying out better than 1 gig fiber in the area. Can't get any higher at the moment. It's been like for the the last 4 years since I got 1 gig. Can't say I've heard of EZEE much but if they get you fiber, cool. Wonder if they will come to Cypress, where I'm at. Could be interesting.

#61 IBTL, Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's usually what happens when people get new equipment. Around here people have wireless issues that magically "go away" when they get a new network set up. Well, they had to buy mostly new equipment and get everything "reset" and set up again as a result. They probably could've been fixed as-is. It's an industry unto itself. Think of it as buying a new car fixing a fuel injector problem on your old car. Well, ok - that's one way to do it. :D

IBTL likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lmao. Well played sir. Well played.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My whole house is wired. 5GBit up and down.

IBTL likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I'm doing to mine slowly but surely.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True, and the nest system that came with the router replaced my Archer system with 3 access points...it worked ok, just not as good as this one.

Either way having a bigger pipe is a good thing for my work from home self.

DD

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What's the fastest a top-specced Macbook or iPhone can even do over wifi?

And how fast could Wifi 7 be in theory if the devices supported it?

IBTL likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wifi 6e can do around 9.6gb. Wifi 7 could maybe do 40GB. The further away you get from the router, the slower the speed will get.

The router I bought to use with Fiber has a 10GB port for wired and 4.8gb in Wireless with better range than going wifi 6E. The speed over wifi for 6E and 7 has range limitations with current technologies.

AroundTheWorld and IBTL like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, I looked it up, gonna upgrade my network from U6 Pro to U7 Pro.

For some reason, the U7 Pro AP only does up to 2.5 Gig, but currently, all the Apple devices cannot even get close to that. Apparently, iphone 16 will be the first one with Wifi 7, and then I assume the other devices will follow. I guess 2.5 Gig on a single device is good enough for now.

AT&T doesn't offer faster speeds than 5 Gig here yet, but I guess eventually, they will, and then the hardware will follow.

Just told my network guy to upgrade all the access points to the U7.

Current situation at my desk, with a bunch of devices connected:

upload_2024-4-22_12-41-13.png

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

How come network guy didn't inform you of this?!! I have been leaving subtle hints here, but wifi 7 is crazy fast, typically in right settings single device, probably 2 to 5 gig. The total throughput though with right equipment 30-40 gig (already answered), but single device like an ultra s24 can easily hit 2+ gbit over wireless and fully use 2.5 of U7 in right conditions.

Anyway, U7 is really good start but I expect them to release more APs with 10 gbit as wifi 7 matures more.

Obviously really depends on use case, but if you want latest/greatest/get near what you pay for over wireless then wifi 7 is it.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Network guy is a freelancer, not employed by me. My network guys in Germany are too far away.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I was just messing with you, haha. I think with this next jump 5gig to 20gig connections over fiber you'll see more options with wifi 7 maturing same time, and an update to u7 etc, I don't think a lot of people have wireless configured right/look at variables for why it's not working max and some don't even know difference between bit/byte channel config/spectrum etc. etc. They just want it to work.

I think since you're utilizing it correctly you'll be happy with U7s, especially if you transfer a lot of data over wireless.

At my house I'm currently stuck with cable, waiting for docsis 4.0 rollout.. , so no point in new equipment here because I already max out connection over wireless with multiple APs (paying for 500 but get about 580 woooo). I want docsis 4 or hopefully fiber soon so I can actually do more things, but it's pointless when my upload is like 25 mbit.

AT&T / Google are miles away with fiber but they're probably fighting on rollout with spectrum, they need to just dereg all this so consumers get more options without all the hoops to jump through, but that's a dif topic.

IBTL and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

In my neighborhood, most people still have cable internet via Comcast/xfinity because the neighborhood did a bulk deal with them years ago. Obviously terrible speeds, especially upload. I see a lot of whining about outages and slow speed in the community's Facebook group. Glad ATT Fiber is available here. I had 5x faster speed in our house than our office in the center of Berlin for 200 people. Germany is so far behind and they still don't get it.

IBTL and CCity Zero like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh man that's wild, especially on Germany. So on my cable since I'm into networks etc I cut all splits and put the run direct to box and then modem. My power/SNR is like textbook perfect, unfortunately neighbors on fb all complain about theirs not working/always down etc etc. I tried explaining how to look at modem/troubleshoot/help and how channel bonding works etc but I think turned into too much info.

I'm seriously considering side hustle. Like my uptime with cable is 99%+ unless spectrum is actually working on something/major outage. I also tried explaining they should get their own router/build one even, hopefully someone took the advice.

When I look at modem and router logs I frequently see last device reset was 3-6+ months and I only have to take router down for updates or it'd be up 247.

While my neighbors on fb sadly are having to reset something/swap modems etc etc. Seems like weekly... I've seen similar for other fiber providers (I'm in Austin) but I think a lot of it is config issues/devices/network in their house, sure the provider might be at fault/should help more but they're also not going to set up multiple hardwired APs

Definitely agree upload sucks though on cable, docsis 4 will certainly change things but I haven't seen a recent eta, so probably higher chance Google / ATT run fiber.

#75 CCity Zero, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    IBTL likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m paying 116 plus tax per month for the Gigabit Extra plan with Comcast. Is that good bad whatever? Please send help.