1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree except not sure about the last part

If the current front office is the one making the deadline deals, I have no confidence they will do well

Tomstro and AznH-TownFan like this.
  2. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

3. Radricky

Radricky Member

4. astros123

astros123 Member

This is a contract year for bregman and he looks like ****. I hope nobody wants to resign him to a long contract

IBTL likes this.
  5. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Well we don’t want Crane to give him a short but high AAV contract if he can’t get the contract he wanted. If anything, we really need him to do well for trade value come July.

astros123 likes this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Bregman will get 5yr 130 mil

It will be the rangers. Maybe the rockies.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Giants maybe

Tomstro likes this.
  8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Rangers? Lol. They already have Josh Jung

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The cold hard truth began years ago when Crane fired the architect of what made his success.
    Instead, he should have convinced everyone that Luhnow knew nothing, whether actually true or not, and put it all on Hinch.
    Hinch was replaceable, Luhnow in retrospect wasn't.

Instead, Crane's ego convinced him that he himself would replace Luhnow and ditch Click shortly after.

10. Radricky

Radricky Member

The Astros are tied with the Rockies for the most runs allowed in the league

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

In other words, place that tombstone?

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's such a great 3rd basemen but his hitting has gone downhill the past year and a half. It's at the point now I want him moved further back in the lineup.

IBTL and astros123 like this.
  13. Jay713

Jay713 Member

especially us.

AznH-TownFan and astros123 like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s a good theory till you realize that nobody else has hired Luhnow either… or even given him an interview.

Luhnow was unofficially banned from MLB… and Crane basically did what MLB told him he had to do (or face even more scrutiny/punishment/etc.).

Now, wouldn’t take much for Luhnow to lawyer up and paint some sort of collusion picture… and MLB has already shown that they’ll negotiate/appease to stay out of a fight (probably why Angel Hernandez still gets to umpire games)… but I also think theres some information that hasn’t been totally unpackaged/shared (suprisingly enough, given 9-18 months worth of recycled stories on it in 2020-2021), and Jeff has signed the necessary documents/agreements to keep it so with stipulations that he’s not going to be a GM again.

Jake Tower likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not sure on this, but I don't think MLB could force Crane to fire him.
    In retrospect, another lost 1st round pick would have been worth keeping him IMO.
    But granted, what we know now wasn't all known then.
    And what we know now probably isnt all there is to know either, agreed.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

lunhow was a pos, but he was good at his job.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

There's nothing less interesting than a team of underachieving old veterans. If they don't turn it around soon, I think they will be sellers at the deadline. It might be a really ugly season if they don't kick it into gear fast.

IowaAstro and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Game plan and leadership is understandable. If his influence was so great, Astros are foolish for letting him go without an adequate plan.

Espada is a first time manager. I was only on board because majority of posters seemed to be on board. Didn't realize other teams were weary to hire him before the Astros did.

Wouldn't have minded Maldonado playing 60 games last season, and wouldn't have minded playing him backup this year, then perhaps managing.

Regardless, this season has mostly been about bad luck and Abreu's historical hideousness.

whiskeyred likes this.
  19. Radricky

Radricky Member

Could you imagine the lineup with this years version of abreu and Maldonado in it?

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

For the Astros, they need the Rockies to sweep them to make real changes, or kickstart a team that is about to flatline. The batting lineup should be tinkered until they find consistency, batting Yordan 2nd I think is a mistake from the start of the season. Yordan had 23 RBI last year compare to 13 RBI this year. Tucker should be 2nd because of his speed, or I would even move Altuve to 2nd and Pena bat 1st because eventually Tuve will lose base speed. Then bullpen should be by committee on closing until they find their groove. Big problem to me is we don't have youth, I look at Rangers with Jung, Carter or Langford. If Correa didn't go Big with money, Pena would never get a chance. I hate to believe we have to rebuild again.

whiskeyred and RustyHarden like this.