1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Edey=Yao Ming?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by VanityHalfBlack, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Rockets need a 7'+ player bad, hopefully their not all gone by #9 or wherever they end up drafting. Edey seems to be low on mock drafts but I have a hard time believing teams would let him slip that far.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

We already have Sengun as our center. Unless you think Edey will be better than Sengun I don't see how we "need" him.

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sengun is still undersized compared to a lot of the bigs out there. Having another behemoth out there would help to anchor the defense. They need someone who won't get tossed around and will scare opposing guards from entering the paint.

JamesC likes this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Dude is SO SLOW when you project him at NBA level.

No surprise he is low.

I mean, it MIGHT work out for him, but the college player of the year doesn't always translate to the extreme athleticism required for the NBA

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

This is true. I saw Yao at the very first practice which the Rockets decided to open to the public. He got the ball at about 3/4 away from the goal and he was dribbling pretty decent for a big guy and actually pulled off a spin move on a fast break. I was blown away. He could move very good for his size.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yao was a skinny-as-a-rail outside shooter and a very good passer when he entered the NBA. The "everyone is equal" mentality of Chinese basketball (at that time) was his programming and he felt obligated to pass the ball on every possession. It was very frustrating for Rockets fans and JVG made it his mission to totally change Yao's mindset about his role on the court. He forced Yao to finally accept he was the best option on offense and his obligation was to act accordingly.

It took 2+ years of JVG flogging him before Yao became a dominant low-post player in the NBA. To put it lightly, he also gained a few necessary pounds along the way.

Edey is thicker, slower and more mechanical than Yao was. He seems like a near-finished product already and his NBA ceiling is low IMO.

#46 A_3PO, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    leroy and MadMax like this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What a great post. Nailed it on all counts.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wonder if Yao’s training today in the current nba would allow him to have the body mechanics to be a valuable player?

I wonder what his 3pt % would be in his prime.

Roomba likes this.
  9. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I know wingspan wasn’t Yao’s strong suit, but I think if he stayed lighter, retained mobility, and actually practiced threes he could be a supercharged Splash Mountain Brook Lopez type of player. That’s an all-star for sure, and a valuable defensive player on any team. I think his basketball IQ is high enough to find ways to slow down perimeter players to some extent

peleincubus likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I believe Yao Ming should be slightly insulted because I think Yao Ming is much better........

That is admitting Purdue made Edey a monster itself.

JVG made Yao a temporary monster and then got him injured majorly.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not really Splash Mountain, I still believe Yao would take the middie midrange more than the 3.....but that is just me.

You cannot switch him onto guards but he can guard PFs and bigger SFs to an extent.

Roomba likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao would be a monster in any era.

You play drop with him and you are going to have an elite defense. Lebron can attest...

Roomba and Madmanmetz like this.
  13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I agree 100% his health was the only thing that kept him from being a legend. His shooting was elite. No doubt he'd be nailing 3 pointers in this era.

Roomba likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Do you sip your morning coffee (or afternoon beer, or everyday wine) with the pinky finger sticking out?

15. Buck Turgidson

Greek T-Mac?

WTF are you talking about?

16. Buck Turgidson

He's a rotation bench matchup guy...how does anyone not see this?

17. VanityHalfBlack

It's a joke buck. Don't you know how the internet works? Took you long enough to respond to that post. You aiight?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wemby is not even jumping that high.....:D:eek: