1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

War in The Middle East: Iran Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Or ever.

These are clearly calculated exchanges of messages through limited, constrained attacks between them, aimed at their respective citizens as well as the global community. What I take out of this is there are back-channel communications, wherein parties convey an acceptance of retaliation within limits, akin to a negotiated, mutually agreed-upon strike. The US played a heavy role, I believe, in constraining both sides from going too far to prevent an out-of-control escalation. I take that as a positive outcome from this bad situation.

P.S. War mongers were excited and now are sad.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope there is some sort of secret gentleman’s agreement between Israel and Iran about how far they will go. At the same time we’ve seen moves towards peace and regional stability frequently derailed by extremists. Whether Likud and the Mullahs have some gentleman’s agreement they are literally playing with fire.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doubt it. Both governments are existential threats to one another.

A militia base in Iraq was heavily damaged. I am not sure how you can field a 21st century military without a functional air force. Israel was able to destroy Iran's S300 radar dishes from a missile launched in Iraq. Neither Iraq nor Syria can defend their own skies from either Iranian missiles or Israel F35s.

5. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are likely no direct agreements between them, but there are others (US, others) that play a role in restraining them and facilitating communication.

Undoubtedly, there are extremist on all sides pushing for aggressive military action, including in the US. As we have already seen, some right-wing groups wanted the US to immediately retaliate directly against Iran, and some right-wing Israelis viewed yesterday's Israeli attack as too "weak". While the Iranian press is state-controlled, so we don't hear dissent, it's reasonable to assume there are factions within Iran that want a strong retaliatory response.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Renamed this thread because this conflict appears to be confined to Israel vs Iran

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 7.34.50 PM.png

8. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

What we know so far about Israel's strike on Iran — and what could happen next
    April 19, 202411:40 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/19/1245838551/israel-iran-attack

"This is a very dangerous moment, but I think Israel has done about as intelligent a thing as they can do under this circumstance," Gen. Frank McKenzie, retired commander of U.S. Central Command, told Morning Edition. "No one knows exactly what happened and maybe, just maybe, we'll avoid any possibility of significant escalation as a result of it."

McKenzie believes Israel threaded the needle with its response, simultaneously signaling to Iran that "we're not going to try to over-escalate here" but "we can do this again at a much larger scale."

Plowman likes this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Use this thread @K9Texan

I think the tit for tat is done, but I am saddened to see the Iranian government is stronger as a consequence. Russia is sending a fleet of its version of the F35s to Iran which will make the whole conflict even more dangerous in the long run.

11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I am Team Freedom

[​IMG]

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd prefer the real f35s, but I'm sure the iranians got a discount.

If Iran grew stronger, it does push for that mid eastern alliance to grow stronger.

Iran has always been a second order problem for the US rather thsn a direct one. If Ukraine is EUs responsibility, then Iran is for Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc to a lesser extent.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Perfect. Thank you.

14. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The word is that those aircraft are garbage.

15. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Obama wasn't called "The Amateur" for nothing!

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

More like the Russian F-15.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

But Top Gun will stop being accurate.

18. Ubiquitin