1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

I think chandler just likes to stir the pot for clicks.
    Whatever is a hot button issue at the moment he will press on and promote.

InTheGroove, jim1961 and IBTL like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Chandler is largely a sack of ****.

Wulaw Horn, InTheGroove and Radricky like this.
  3. Screaming Fist

He's clearly not a fan of the team and that pisses fans off but I don't think he makes stuff up whole cloth either. Half of his tweets are calling fans idiots for calling for the firing of coaches, benching of players, and the like instead of fanning the flames of fan discontent.

Radricky and Stephen66 like this.
  4. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Hey hey if not for him. The Duster would still be here

Screaming Fist, lnchan and IBTL like this.
  5. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Now if we could get Chandler to criticize the committee....

6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Problem is Houston does not have borderline players. We have great players and we have completely useless players. There is usefulness impaired Abreu and his even less useful backup Singleton. Same goes for center fielder Meyers and designated center fielder Dubon. With Dubon so busy in center field we have no versatile bench bat, literally no bench outfielder, and an imaginary bench infielder. The solutions are easily identifiable.
    1. Buy out or trade the Abreu contract in the cheapest and most expeditious manner possible.
    2. Trade Dubon to the highest bidder.
    3. DFA Singleton,

Wulaw Horn and astros123 like this.
  7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree with all of this except trading Dubon

If we had an average CF and an average 1B and Dubon could truly be a utility guy, he would be one of the best utility guys in baseball

AznH-TownFan and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Problem is he does not play the positions we need a versatile bench player to cover.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Is it a good time to mention Jake Meyers has a positive WAR and a 115 OPS+? Meanwhile... Bregs is at 96... Chas at 82... and Abreu at NEGATIVE 22.

10. lnchan

We have seven pitchers with negative WAR on the active roster... another 4 on the 40-man. The 3 worst include the #3 starter, set up man, and closer...

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have been looking at the schedule and I am now very enthused for the rest of the season.

142 g remaining. 76 until ASB. 66 after.

29 g left vs teams w/ less than 5% chance of making playoffs (Wash, Col, Oak, ChW, Mia)

28 g left vs teams 5.0-24.9% playoff chances (LAA, Det, Pit, Bos)

56 g left vs teams 25-49.9% playoff chances (Cle, Sea, Det, Mil, Min, St.L, SF, NYM, Tex, KC, Ari, SD)

16 g left vs teams 50-74.9% playoff chances (ChC, TOR, TB, Phi)

13 g left vs teams 75+% playoff chances (NYY, Bal, LAD)

So 113 of 142 remaining games are vs teams w/ less than 50% chance of making postseason.

*I used Fangraphs playoff odds. I usually use an average of FG and Baseball Reference but BRs odds look very off to me. Example: they have Arizona w/ only 3.9% chance to make playoffs but SD 79.1%?

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good work. 90-95 wins still seems pretty likely. Next 20 games are big.

13. lnchan

Except we seem to play down to the competition since 2020...

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think you would agree this team is nothing ( yet) like those teams.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

"Seems pretty likely?" They won 90 last year and never had a 4-16 20 game stretch.

IBTL likes this.
  16. lnchan

I remember Tampa's opening streak last year... thought they would win 115...

IBTL and BMoney like this.
  17. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Bilbo McTaggins > Romulus Cha(n)d

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Q: What, in your view, has led to the team’s start?

A: I think a big part of our start is we’re leading the majors in IL days, so we’ve had a ton of injuries. I don’t know if any team really could sustain the injuries that we’ve had. And I think we’re going to be fine, because we have depth. But when you look at the five starters that we had out — I mean, we’re getting JV back (Friday), thank God. But we still have (José) Urquidy out, Framber (Valdez) out, (Luis) Garcia out, (Lance) McCullers (Jr.) out. That’s a lot of IL days. Then you combine that with slow starts from our bullpen and some slow starts from some of our hitters. That puts you in a tough spot.

On top of that, all six of the series that we played before this one, the teams are either in first place or second place, or at least over .500. I think the Blue Jays are probably doing the worst out of all of them, and they’re a really good team. So we played (five) really good teams. … We’ll have our time when our guys are all back. We’re not going to suffer the whole season with all these injuries, let’s hope. And then some of the teams that we’re going to play are maybe not as good as some of the teams that we’ve been playing. So at some point, this thing will turn around.

Q: In spring training, you were bullish on the pitching depth and the rotation depth. Hindsight being what it is, do you feel like that was misguided?

A: Not really. If you think about it, no one could predict the start by our bullpen. Our top three bullpen arms have all got off to slow starts. I mean, that’s unheard of for that to happen. So I’m still bullish about how good those guys are. We’ve actually gotten decent pitching from our middle (relievers). And then I didn’t predict that Framber would go down, I didn’t predict that Urquidy would go down. We knew that there was a chance that JV could start on the IL. So there’s some things that led to where we are today. But when you’re 20 games in and 142 left to go, I don’t think there’s any need to panic. I think it’s a long season. It’s a marathon and not a sprint. And at some point, we’ll get on all cylinders and this thing will turn around.

Q: Is there any concern with the back-end relievers? (Entering Friday, closer Josh Hader, signed to a five-year, $95 million deal in January, had an 8.31 ERA in 10 appearances. Ryan Pressly had a 9.45 ERA over eight outings. Bryan Abreu had a 6.00 ERA in nine appearances).

A: No, I just think they got off to slow starts. They’re all throwing the ball well. It’s a matter of executing the pitches, and if we execute the pitch that we need to execute, they’re going to be fine. It’s just so ironic that the guys got off to a slow start. There was no way to predict that. I think if you ask any major-league general manager, he would take Abreu, Pressly, Hader at the back of his bullpen. Any manager, any general manager, would take those three at the back end of their bullpen. It just so happened that they’ve gotten off to a slow start.

Q: You’ve received the least amount of offensive production from your first basemen among MLB teams. How sustainable is that? Do you feel like there is a point where you have to explore potentially making a change there? (Entering Friday, Astros first basemen had combined for an MLB-low .382 OPS. José Abreu owned an .078/.158/.098 slash line in 16 games. Jon Singleton had a .250/.333/.313 slash line in 36 plate appearances).

A: Right now, we’ll continue to figure that out as we talk it through with the guys downstairs. But we’re going to continue to figure out how to get (Abreu) some playing time to see if he can get hot. And if he gets hot, we’ll be happy. And if he doesn’t get hot, we’ll have to circle back and make some decisions.

I think what we’ll do is we’ll have those guys share some playing time with the hopes of Abreu getting hot. ... We would like to have more production. But often times, guys don’t get off to good starts. It’s just the way it is. Now, of course we can’t continue to go with no production. At some point, we’ll have to make a decision, and we’re talking through that now.

Q: How would you gauge the team’s mental state?

A: The group of guys are a little disappointed at their start. But I think they all understand and realize it’s a marathon and it’s not a sprint, and they know how good we really are. So I think they’ll be fine.

No Worries likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Is Myers hurt? I thought this was the year he got his chance. He looked promising to me. Dubon needs a few starts here and there, but he shouldn’t be our starting CF.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You mean 6-14..... but there are so many factors to why it happened.

One being, last year's team never had a 20-game stretch facing 95-win opponents every game. It's doubtful any team did or will this season.

Astros will get healthier, perform better, then win 95 games.

Tampa didn't even win 100 or a playoff series.

Baseball is wild.