1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Sengun need to work on this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 16, 2024.

?

What does Sengun need to work on this summer?

1. 3 pointer

87.1%
  2. Free throws

46.8%
  3. One handed shots/floaters

8.1%
  4. Lateral quickness/speed/agility

32.3%
  5. Defense, help defense, etc

32.3%
  6. Mid range/jump shot

29.0%
  7. Reacting quicker, passing quicker

20.2%
  8. Dunk more and layup less

5.6%
  9. Decrease pump faking

9.7%
  10. English

6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Being great hasn't stopped Lebron from complaining yet.

tycoonchip and Zen Tabak like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Luka is the worst. Literally every missed fg attempt is a complaint that follows.

AroundTheWorld and clos4life like this.
  3. clos4life

clos4life Member

You are absolutely right, another reason to hate the Mavs.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

man is always pump faking

5. maypk

maypk Member

Luka feeds on complaining. It helps him focus better, be more involved in the game and perform better. I'd absolutely have no issue with Alpi complaining non-stop if that was the case, but it is not.

Strawberry Gum and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

3 pointers followed by FTs, then strength, in that order of importance. Everything else is nice but not as impactful for his type of game and team needs.

Mathloom and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. pippsux

pippsux Member

if you watch old dream highlights, he didn’t really pump fake up as much and/or he just looked more decisive, Sengun just needs to get to his move early and finish

kspires999 likes this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'll just add the ones that I think are more easily achievable before next season starts. I agree that getting a 3 point shot would be great for the team but that may take a little while longer.

Fitness and Nutrition
    Sengun has to work on his body. He's not a lumbering big that uses size to score over people. Everything he does is about skill and counters. That works better when you're quicker and on balance. Being fitter will also continue to help him improve his defense. And, I think Ime sees him as a 4/5 and has the goal of playing him with another big at times like Horford. Being able to switch lineups around your best players is important for playoff success.

Mid range shooting
    It's not that we need him to take a bunch of midrange shots but we need him to be good enough at them that the defense rotates aggressively to prevent the shot. One of the issues we have is that our key players catch the ball outside of where they typically make plays. Sengun is mainly a low post player right now but he catches the ball a foot inside the 3 point line and has to work so hard to get to the post just to start his move and/or make plays for his teammates. If teams had to honor his shot fake from midrange it would be deadly, even without a 3pt shot.

Be more decisive
    He often catches the ball in the high post and just reads the defense for a while before making his move. He has to switch from reacting to how he's being defended to dictating how he is defended. If he makes quicker decisions it will force the defense to react to him. Often times catching the defense off guard will bait teams into abandoning their defensive game plan out of instinct to protect the paint. We never get to benefit from multiple defensive rotations because we let the defense re-set on the catch. I'd like to see more possessions where Sengun makes a quick move to the basket kicks it out after the double, another player penetrates on the rotation, and it comes back to Sengun for an easier bucket near the rim. Our offense focuses too much on one guy beating everyone on the first attempt.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Learning his new teammates names?

harold bingo likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Luka has that face that when he is biatchin he is still sort of smiling.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

[​IMG]

12. Entropy

Entropy Member

He needs the 3 to unlock beast mode. Since last year I've been thinking he should copy Bill Laimbeer's 3 pt shooting mechanics. Secondly he needs to become stronger so he won't get dicked around by thick centers like Valanciunas.

#52 Entropy, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Mathloom likes this.
  13. invocux

invocux Member

3 pter and free throws. Also needs to bulk up.

14. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I put working on his 3-point shot. Being better against double teams is a close second for me. Go quick or be stronger in passing out of the double team

Mathloom likes this.
  15. cdastros

cdastros Member

The same thing that made Jokic an All-Star, conditioning.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Alpi made great strides this year, but of the choices I picked 5...

#1: 3pt shooting (if he's able to shoot 4-6 shots a game and hit 2 that will open up our offense/floor spacing.
    #2: Free Throws (He'll get fouled more and more, and he's got to hit 70-75% of his attempts. If he can get to 80% and above that will be awesome.)
    #3: Quickness/Speed/Agility. I believe he does this already in Turkey, but continuing to improve as his body matures will only make him better player.
    #4: His Mid Range/Jump Shot game improved this year, but he still needs more work and a greater repertoire to call on.
    #5: Defense/Help Defense wasn't bad as the rest of the team improved, but he still needs to keep getting better.

Finally, if I had to add something it would be Defensive Rebounding. I've said this before, but he needs to position himself better based on the shot and work on blocking out consistently. He's not bad, but believe he should be a double digit rebounder.

17. Ancient Moabite

FTs

And continue to work with Dream on low post craft and mid-range

I could care less if he develops a reliable 3pt shot or not because he is too good on block and has VIP access to one of the GOAT low post hubs ever to mentor him

Plus I would imagine the collective shooters (also adding one offseason) can maintain a good enough % so Amen/Sengun can do what they do best

And if he has to take a 3 here and there, he already has showcased he can knock them down

18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Hopefully he can work on his 3 point shot because if he can bring people out, it will work wonders for Jalen to work towards the basket.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I mean it's basically a 3 pointer. Or at least more of a mid-ranger if he can't extend out to the 3 point line. Everything else about his game IMO can be improved with more experience. But him adding a mediocre 3 pointer (~35% range) would truly open up the offense for himself and others.

20. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I think he can absolutely shoot the 3 ball well if he just lets it fly. Same as what everyone else said about being more decisive, and all of these problems seem to stem from confidence. He was THE guy last year, so I think he'll continue to naturally develop there. So out of what I'd like him to intentionally work on, it would be agility and strength. Straight up weight room stuff because his skillset is already extremely nice. Being quicker will give us more options besides drop coverage on PnR, and strength will help him in isos against elite bigs.