1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Few hours in Houston - Rockets fan experience?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Apr 19, 2024.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Hi everyone,

I might go on a trip to Mexico where I will have a lay-over in Houston! Both on the way there, October 26th and my way back November 9th. Those are possibly game days / nights. I've only been to Toronto Raptor's stadium where you had access even outside of game days to this hallway where they had a few murals and the shop.

So I was wondering what that is like in Toyota Center? Are there also accessible areas like the shop that are open even on non-game days? I really would love to buy some things and have a look around since catching a game is likely out of the question.

Are there other areas in Houston where they have something Rockets related, a shop, mural, graffiti that I should try to visit as well? The 26th I could possible leave the airport around 15.00-15.30 and my flight to Mexico City would be 21.30 (2 hours before need to be back?). The 9th I have barely 5 hours so that's actually not an option.

Basically I am asking what can a Rockets fan do when he or she has a few hours between flights to see as much as possible. Any ideas and insights would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Streakshooter and IBTL like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, Toyota Center has a shop that is open during the day, but not every day. Hours may vary on game days??
    https://www.rocketsshop.com/

Also, the Galleria Mall (which is a huge tourist attraction/shopping center) has an official NBA store.

Also, and this might be the best thing to do, the Rockets have a new Practice Facility (close to the Galleria) which will be open by then.

JW86 likes this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Damn Saturdays only until 3PM, well that sucks...what about access to Toyota Center in general? Access to any areas where they have some murals to take pictures and what not?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who know, those hours may change.

I’m sure if you call the Rockets and explain your situation they will give you a brief tour, during office hours. The sales/marketing team works in the TC, so they probably do that that a lot.

IBTL and daywalker02 like this.
  5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

It's not a mural, but Dream's jersey monument outside of Toyota Center stands out. It's available 24/7 :D

Streakshooter likes this.
  6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be more concerned about getting back and forth from/to the airport to/from Toyota Center. Houston doesn't have great public transportation and Bush IAH is a long ways from downtown. You'll have to pay for an expensive uber or taxi to do it. It's honestly not worth it IMO.

AXG, dobro1229, daywalker02 and 2 others like this.
  7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree with this. You can buy the same souveniers inside the airport.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Might be cheaper to pay the team to come greet you at the airport.

kubli9 likes this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Thanks for the info, I'll not book that flight then. So as far as the shop at Toyota Center, it does have some great stuff I'd imagine right? Like jerseys from guys like a Tari Eason, Whitmore etc?

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

we have a nice museum district. that would be my suggestion

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am sure the minimum contract guys can provide him with services.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is exactly what I was going to say too. IAH is pretty damn far from downtown and the TC so unless you have a full day, I doubt you’ll have time to go downtown.

One thing you can do if you have a couple hours layover is Uber from the airport to a nearby Academy store. Every Academy will have an entire section of local sports apparel. It won’t be as good as the gear at the TC fan shop but you can stock up pretty well and a lot cheaper as well.

I recall there being an Academy pretty close to the airport off 1960. Maybe take an Uber to Academy, Uber to Gringos for some Tex Mex (or maybe the best BBQ in the Spring area), and make your way back etc. With a 3 to 5 hour layover that’s probably your best bet.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Would you like the Harden Deluxe Package Tour or Stromile Swift cup of coffee fly by ?

What are we talking about?