1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

xaos likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

As I listen to folks talk about the Nike Hoop Summit, I grow more convinced that we should absolutely not trade the Nets 25’ & 26’ picks/swaps. It really sounds like those drafts are gonna be special. The 24’ pick for something or someone valuable…sure, but not those other picks.

roslolian and BaselineFade like this.
  3. sefril

sefril Member

Well Ja Morant only played 9 games this season (don’t know how much that games is with Bane playing), yet Bane has increase his PPG from 21.5 to 23.7, 2.2 point increase albeit with slightly reduced efficiency.. his APG is also increased from 4.4 to 5.5..

safe to say that Desmond Bane is something without Ja Morant..

Da Wink and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bane was injured for nearly half a season as well.

The Grizz were playing Vince Williams Jr......Roddy .....Aldama and such names.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Hypothetically what gets us below the cap and the ability to sign a Nic Claxton?

Spot trac says the most we can create is $15 mil. But we do have the $4.5 mil exception. If we can get Claxton for around $20 mil, is it possible to sign him outright? Assuming we don’t pick up the options on Jeff Green, Tate, Landale, renounce the $11 mil in cap holds, and utilize the trade exception?

And in this scenario we can also try to trade Adams into a trade exception or something? Grasping at straws here, but I’m curious if it’s possible ;)

6. sefril

sefril Member

Yeah, only 42 games played. From statmuse website:
    Desmond Bane averaged 23.5 points, 5.2 assists and 4.3 rebounds in 33 games without Ja Morant this season.
    I think 33 games this season is quite enough sample size.

Yep, so basically playing with such names and only slightly decrease in efficiency (EFG from .568 to .552, TS from .606 to .589) while increasing the PPG, APG and assist% (20.8% to 29.2%) is something, right? Certainly not nothing without Ja..

#226 sefril, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

19,295,110 declining Landale, Tate, Jeff Green, Boban, Bullock & Holiday.

They'd have 9 players under contract.

4 incomplete roster charges $1,160,544

$14,652,934 in cap space.

$8,006,000 Room Exception.

The #9 pick in the draft ($6,281,280) paid out of either the room exception (or cap space).

After that it's veteran minimum contracts to fill out the roster.

You might be better off operating above the cap with Green, Landale, Tate, paying the draft pick out of the half of the NT-MLE leaving you $6,577,720 & BAE $4,681,000.

Boils down to whether or not that ~$14m FA has a greater impact than Green, Landale & Tate.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If we get a late lotto pick we should consider drafting Bronny and get Lebron for 1 or 2 years then add one of CP3, Harden, Klay, Westbrook, Derozen (whoever that can fit our cap space) to a deal to come off the bench. All these former stars are in the back end of their careers, some of them will likely have to take cheap deals to stay in the league (like Cp3 or Klay).

Keep the core 6 and we'll have really good vets for our team plus a potential 6th seed push.

This is assuming Lebron actually wants to play with his son and will take a near vet min deal to do it.

9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

The more that I look at this free agent class and money that we may have available, how viable are Malik Beasley or Trent Jr in your opinion? I prefer a combo guard but Beasley or Trent would be my next best options. We won't be able to afford Monk.

NewAge likes this.
  10. cumutk

cumutk Member

Alpy is a borderline near future allstar and superstar, Who makes everyone around him better with his creativity, passing and all other things that Jalen's iq can not imagine, what are you talkin about?
    He is the only player that proved himself in this team with his consistency.
    Jalen right now as a player is below 3 or 4 tiers compared to Alpy, they are not in the same caliber..
    Funny comments from funny and basketball ignorant fans

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Good post. But I could see Klay being the next Pippen for the Rockets. lol

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Honestly, the only reason you could even talk me into giving Klay a contract is so that we could be responsible for the end of that trio that made our lives so miserable.

joshuaao likes this.
  13. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Everything will start to clarify after the draft lottery. The week after the lottery is the draft combine, then in person team workouts shortly thereafter. By mid-June, you can be sure the Rockets insiders will start leaking Stone’s offseason strategy.

I want the Rockets to mostly run it back - just adding 3 role players through the draft and free agency (non taxpayer MLE). They need 2 shooters, one of whom can be a backup PG. Then draft or sign a developmental rim protector. I think the Rockets can win 50 games next year and be top 4-6 in the West - passing up GS, LAC, LAL, SAC, PHO, and maybe DAL and NOP. OKC, MIN, and DEN are the only 3 teams that look to have much better rosters. I shouldn’t forget Memphis will be better as well.

Corpusfan likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Stone already said the gameplan just run it back unless a great deal comes up.

I agree with him. Rockets are a young team our players can only improve with time. There's no rush to make trades unless nobrainers come up.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This poll was exclusive to ESPN employees, right?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Green+#9+Eason for Bane?

19. TimDuncanDonaut

That's a lot for Bane, even if Bane is good (t-rex arms and all)

Green + #9 + expiring salary. Grizz has an expensive payroll, they've been trying to keep under. If such a deal goes down shedding some salary gives more flexibility.

Adding Tari would be significant overpay.

NewAge likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

But why?

Why trade Green?