1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Edge has that in spades. Wilson is bigger and more athletic/explosive. I don’t think either is going to be taking on many lineman where arm length is a detriment

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

True but 32" arms seems to be a magic number in that department. "Game of inches" and all that jazz. Anything under that becomes an outlier. If we are going to try and distinguish each guy it will definitely come down to splitting atoms. I really like Wilson too just that he's got an injury history and is about to turn 24. Age isnt a HUGE thing for me, but its still a data point to look at if trying to seperate these guys from each other. Wilson was the Butkus winner and those guys translate well. Not sure there is a 'wrong' decision between these two.

Shark44, Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. raining threes

I would say talent wise there's a big difference between Wilson and the rest of the LB class. He's a top 15 guy without his injury history. I will give you another LB that can be had later that I like a lot, Nate Watson, Wallace and Coulson are a step below do coverage instincts not being as good.

Shark44 likes this.
  4. raining threes

Enough to trade a draft pick for, while knowing your team isn't going to be good next year?

If you like Mills then Caserio should keep him because you always need two capable QB.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d be good with either. I think Edge is better downhill where Wilson is better side to side and in coverage. Either one helps

Shark44 and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. raining threes

Look at tape to see if arm length causes issues in coverage. He's certainly got the speed of a CB and he says his specialty is covering the TE. That's something that's been missing from the Texans defense for the last decade.

If medicals checkout the thought of 3 fast LB's with Harris and Wilson running in the 4.4's is really appealing. Plus Al Shaair is a big upgrade over Perryman. That's an elite LB corps. I see Wilson as an upgrade over Cashman and I liked Cashman. 4.4 with great instincts is a real weapon at LB.

7. raining threes

Agreed, but it's not like Wilson is bad going down hill.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#2808 zeeshan2, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Shark44 and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wilson is enough of an athlete to overcome that. My point is that a 5 inch overall wingspan and 3.5" longer arms could be the deciding factor beyond the medicals. Cooper is only .08 slower in straight line speed from Wilson on top of being gifted with arms that impact a bigger radius of disruption in passing plays. If you take a peek at All Pro teams and check out that singular measurement you would see that not many of those guys have 30" arm lengths. Most clock in around 32 so a guy with 34 inch arms is kind of freaky.

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

Agreed and I would pick Cooper over Wilson and hope Ryans could help Cooper improve his instincts in pass coverage.

BTW, what do you think of Wallace as a LB? I like him a lot.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure if he was or not but I would say he was.

If you know the history of "7" at LSU, you'd label him a captain.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Using a quick search I see that they give that number to the best player/athlete on the team and that it seems to hold some sort of "curse" as of late. Look football captains are awesome. I've been around several really good teams and a good portion of the time the best players opt not to be captain. Not everyone is wired to be a leader. To use that as an indicator of professional success may be shortsighted because I'd bet there are a ton of great football players that were not captains on their teams before or after turning pro.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wallace is explosive if you dont have him think too much. I think his IQ is a little lacking, but if he can pin his ears back and get after it he will be a problem. Depends where you want him to line up and how much responsibility you want to give him.

raining threes likes this.
  15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying that's how I would draft. That's just how Nick seems to do. I thought there was an article on this awhile back that stated a criteria most of his draft picks met. I can't remember all of them but I know Power 5 Conference and Team Captain/Leader were a couple.

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont dislike the practice. Team captains are smart and typically of high morale character and players will gravitate and listen to them. DeMeco himself was a team captain at Alabama. I just wouldnt use that as a sole basis for trying to guess which way Caserio and Co. will go. Kenyon Green was also a team captain and he's sucked so far as a player. I would think that the Power 5 success rate would probably take precedent over a mid major schedule, but I wont be upset if Peyton Wilson is the pick. It might not even be a LB that they select at 42.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That scares me most about him. The upside is great, but he's already torn his ACL twice, and had a couple shoulder surgeries, and hasn't even played in the big league yet. I'd hate to see history repeat itself with our top pick, if there is a healthy more durable top athlete at any position. We have lots of needs.

Housport and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Housport

Housport Member

The Texans are visiting with a lot of box safeties. Pitre must of pissed off the coaching staff.

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Could also be a replacement for Jimmie Ward. I don't see him returning next year and he has yet to play a full season.

cmoak1982 likes this.