1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. raining threes

You need to make that offer between now and the start of the season. Given Nico's injury history I bet he would take the deal. Good thing is Caserio is very good at negotiating.

Sooty likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its kind of crazy though that we would oust a known commodity for another prospect who may or may not reach the current production level of Nico. All for what - not to have to pay him? Would we pay the next WR that breaks out or does it turn into a carousel?

red5rocket likes this.
  3. showa13

showa13 Member

As soon as the Ridley contact came out, I would’ve called Nico’s agent and said I’d give him that contract right now and leave it on the table until the season starts

raining threes likes this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Normally I agree with this type of logic (2020-TRADE WHITLEY FOR THE GUY YOU ARE HOPING HE BECOMES) but I digress.

However, Nico was a 3rd round pick, behind 14 receivers in a heavy up top but not overly deep class. I have no idea why him being injured his first 2 years is an excuse while other players being injured (Kenyon green, stingley, etc) are called busts.. but aside from “showing flashes” he actually didn’t do anything until CJ got here. And if you wanna blame QB play, then what about DHop and Andre balling out with whoever?

Don’t get me wrong, I love Nico, I think he is a great X receiver that can be that big body redzone threat like Andre. I hope we keep him! But to say “cmon guys!” Like people crazy isn’t fair.. saying a 2nd round wide receiver in arguably the DEEPEST wr class in history can replace a 3rd round prototypical guy that has showed flashes but nothing on the stat sheet until elite qb play.. I’m not saying it will happen, but it’s not so far-fetched.

all that being said, I’d give him Ridley money. But I would also draft a guy in the 2nd/3rd. Either him or Diggs is gone for sure so we need to replace THAT. And even though we don’t need one this year, the draft class is too strong and too deep to pass up on a first round talent in the 2nd round.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Man .. I kinda wanted JK Dobbins.. dude a beast when healthy, which ain't sayin much I now... But a 1 year , incentive laced contract seems so Casserioish.. Him and Mixon could've did some damage..

houstonstime likes this.
  6. Agmaniacmike

Agmaniacmike Member

Same boat. I'm from Caldwell, so watched him multiple times in high school as he was in the same district as us. He's always been a good RB, just been snakebit by injuries as a pro. I think most teams were waiting until fall camp started to work him out but Chargers saw that void and took a chance with a staff familiar with him. I have little regard for this draft class at RB, don't really want to waste draft capital.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Who in this draft outside of MHJ gives you a package of 6'4 with 4.4 speed? MAYBE Brian Thomas Jr? Nico is far from just a possession target or redzone threat. QBs matter. Im not saying Nico is on his way to the HOF like DHop or Andre so that example becomes problematic for this discussion. Do you see DHop or Andre in this draft? It becomes a matter of game theory and why would we reduce a positional group that is suddenly one of the best in the NFL to entertain another prospect - so that we dont have to pay Nico? Eventually you're going to have to pay one of these guys. What type of season will it take to convince you a WR is worth keeping?

No Worries, cbass, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Nico is the most talented receiver on this team from a measurables standpoint. Height/weight/speed combo. Great after the catch and catches most balls.
    Wanting to move on from him is dumb imo

Rustyrig, macho GRANDE, cbass and 6 others like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its strange. I think as a fanbase we might be so damaged that we dont think we deserve good things to happen to us! Nico is a stud. He is the the type of receiver you create on a video game. I do agree with those guys who say CJ was a HUGE part of Nicos success, but there is typically a symbiotic relationship between great QBs and great WRs.

Rustyrig, sydmill, Shark44 and 2 others like this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

1. Who said anything about moving on from him or not liking him? If you read my post fully, I said multiple times I want to keep him and pay him.

2. I’m just also saying there are prospects this year that grade out better than he did coming into the NFL.

3. is height and weight all we need to look at now? Johnny Wilson gives you 4.5 at 6’6”.

4. yes, cj was a huge part. I think for everyone that is “damaged and doesn’t think we can have nice things” is the same type of people on the other side that have it being all Nico and only injuries as the reason..

5. He doesn’t need to do anything to convince me, but maybe doing it more than 1 season? I mean if we keep him we still replace Diggs right? This is the draft to do that no?

BamBam and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No one has said it was only injuries. Just that it was the main reason.
    Also, Nico is a low 4.4 you

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Take a look at how many prospects were drafted ahead of Nico in his draft based on grades. Thats the way thinks shake out. We KNOW what we have with Nico. Drafting is a fickle business. Its not a clear cut expectation process. Its quite literally a roll of the dice. I just dont think it wise to take another risk when you have a known commodity.

Diggs is a mercenary. I dont view him as part of the core and he would be the first guy to leave in a trade or looking for greener pastures. Im a firm believer in drafting wise and paying the guys who pan out.

Im not sure anyone has ever made an argument that Nico was a good receiver with Mills. He was the prototypical WR, but It takes two to tango.

Once the Diggs move was made the need to focus on WR in this draft was over. For us draftniks who spent alot of time there and were hoping the team would validate our hard work it sucks, but it is what it is. I think BPA out of LB, DT, CB, RB, OL should be the areas of focus.

I LOVE Johnny Wilson by the way.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did Steven Nelson ever sign anywhere? I kind of figured he would get a decent deal somewhere after the season he had last year. Maybe he priced himself out of the market? Or I just missed his signing. If his price drops enough I would love the Texans to bring him back on a 1 or 2 year deal.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Still a FA

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He will be signed either right before or shortly after the draft.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I honestly think we only disagree on the bolded part I think either one of Diggs or Nico (most likely and hopefully Diggs).. so we will need a 3rd receiver. Sure we could just draft one next year, but I just personally like this class A LOT. And those 2nd round guys look elite in the slot which fits so perfectly with Nico and tank. So I would rather snag one of them this year than force one next year with a weaker class.

I’m down to use 2.59 or later. Even a 4th. Only reason not to is if you think metchie is gonna finally figure it out.

17. raining threes

If they go BPA then Cooper or Wilson will most likely be BPA at 2-42.

houstonstime and red5rocket like this.
  18. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

We’ll need to draft a cost controlled WR at some point. We will very unlikely be paying both Nico and Diggs top dollar and will eventually need to pay Tank.

Yes, we don’t need a WR at this point in time but look for Nick to pick one up at some point in the draft.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

20. raining threes

You have to take advantage of Strouds rookie deal. After that money will become hard to come by

Sooty likes this.