1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Braves @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 15, 2024.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

"Abreu is washed" Same Fans that wanted Abreu gone his Rookie Year. Ridiculous.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D

Sitting at 51% disapproval :oops:

H-Town Info likes this.
  3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

0-10 against the Yanks, Royals, and Braves.... hope they turn it around quickly. Almost nothing more demoralizing than watching a baseball team with pitching problems (hopefully will normalize/stabilize) and lacks situational awareness when it comes to doing the little things right.

IBTL likes this.
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Astros Front Office will not to add Declining Player like Kris Bryant. Kris Bryant contract is Scott Boras Super Max Bad.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

We are so cooked.

“Back of the baseball card” started with Bagwell.

•Ausmus’ ties with Bagwell, whose voice has grown more prominent within the organization this winter, can not be discounted. Bagwell vouched for Ausmus during Abreu’s introductory news conference in December — the same day Bagwell bemoaned baseball’s excessive reliance on analytics.

•“The main thing we want to do here is, I don’t want to hear windows,” Bagwell said. “I want to hear every single year we have a chance to win. That’s how we have to base our decisions: short-term, but the long-term in the back of our minds. Like how are we going to be in three years, five years, 7-10 (years).”

•“He’s a line drive hitter,” said Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell, who visited Abreu in Miami to help the Astros finish the deal. “He drives in a lot of big runs. There’s a lot of guys that can drive in 80-90 runs. This guy has driven in over 100. He drives in big runs. He knows how to do that. We can get him in our lineup, that can only do stuff to benefit us.”

•After acknowledging his growing role in the franchise's makeshift front office, Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell on Tuesday bemoaned the Astros' reliance on analytics and asserted that “this game is played by humans, man. It’s not played by computers.”

“The game has advanced so much,” Bagwell said. “But at the end of the day, it’s about driving runs in, scoring runs, getting 27 outs before the other team. That never changes. Trying to get a mix of both of those is what I’m trying to get some of up there because that’s what (owner Jim Crane) wants.”

Analytics built the Astros into a budding dynasty, but it’s worth wondering if Bagwell’s growing influence on Crane might shift the franchise back toward a blended approach.

“I talk to Jim a lot and the new assistant GMs and so forth just to give my opinion on some of the things I see and how I see it (from) a player’s perspective and, I guess, a front-office perspective and how that all mixes together,” Bagwell said. “You have to have a mix of both. You can’t just be one way.”

Asked whether the Astros had gone “too far one way,” Bagwell replied, “Personally, for me, yes.

“There are certain things that go on that the numbers can’t explain,” Bagwell said. “This game is played by humans, man. It’s not played by computers. There’s a lot of things that go on — stuff at home, a lot of things that can happen throughout the year that mean something, and it affects players in certain ways.”

It’s clear that since Click’s departure, Bagwell wields far more influence than his current job title of community outreach executive.

“I don’t know. I do the same thing,” Bagwell said. “I bother Jim nonstop. I think he’s tired of me. I’m just a voice of how I see baseball and how I see the other things in baseball that aren’t just numbers. Numbers are important — don’t get me wrong. But there are other things that matter.”

“I want to do whatever Jim needs me to do,” Bagwell said. “I’m not pushing myself to do anything. I know I’m involved. I know I enjoy talking the game of baseball, and I certainly enjoy talking about us and getting better.”

[​IMG]

#1325 J.R., Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  6. CinematicFusion

Framber never got an MRI… does that concern anyone?

especially since Astros had the huge announcement he had elbow soreness.

guess we will find out…

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I don't think he was hurt at all

8. CinematicFusion

So bizarre to me
    He didn’t want to face the Rangers and Braves?

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Maybe. Or he just had a mental breakdown

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

I too used to doubt Abreu, then I saw the back of the baseball card and I'm a believer. I also saw Hakeem's card and I don't see any reason why The Rockets shouldn't sign him. History says he is The Goat........

AznH-TownFan and J.R. like this.
  11. CinematicFusion

None of this gives me the warm and fuzzies on Framber

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate the Braves. I hate the extra innings rules. I think at this point I'll cheer for the individual glory of Álvarez. And hope that tides me over until the pitchers get back to a real rotation. If they can't right the ship then I'll just look for who can be entertaining.

13. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

How fast will this fanbase turn on Bagwell if this downfall continued?

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Abreu hasn't helped and he needs to not be playing anymore.

Reggie Jackson needs to get some oxygen and take his cane into the Crane manor and explode t
    homestly - what is he supposed to say? It isn’t his decision if Abreu is DFA or not.

Rather than asking about Abreu, they should have asked him why he is a ****ing stupid ******* that eats *** and then **** ***** ****.

IBTL, Fiah, Stephen66 and 2 others like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

They hope to retain some payroll flexibility for the trade deadline. They have advanced stats that show Belt is about to fall off a cliff? They are close to going with Loperfido? They really believe Abreu will bounce back?

I get the sense they have really tried not to panic looking at some of the Astros advanced stats and bad luck. The problem is they are showing no signs of turning it around.

They will be criticized but they may be close to the point of making a managerial change and using some of that flexibility to sign Belt.

I don’t foresee a fire sale unless the next 20-25 games are as bad as the first 20.

Lots of injuries and lots of talent on the team. However it really looks like they may need a change at the top (Espada). Soon there will be a player of two going public and complaining about the manager and that may be the final nail in the coffin. My guess is Hader or Pressly goes public just because of the misuse.

Jags, IBTL, Fiah and 5 others like this.
  16. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I think it will be Pressly's wife He's been really patient through everything and she likes social media. Hader really has nothing to say in my opinion. He knows what he signed up for and is obviously under performing

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Normally I would agree with you but this feels like a situation where Espada is over his head. If we lose another series or two and someone in the clubhouse chirps - I can see him replaced.

Hader didn’t sign up to be used how he has been used so far. He hasn’t pitched as well as expected - but his usage is poor.

Htown Stros, IBTL, Fiah and 2 others like this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Check the back of his baseball card, he'll be fine.

19. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

You know better than me so I'll defer to your expertise. He definitely isn't pitching to his strengths. I can't understand how poorly this team is managed. That said, if we split two with NY and get a series win (which was completely possible) it's a different conversation.

Brown really needs to do something significant at the deadline. It's early but I just want them to get to the wild card and take it from there. Hopefully JV comes on throwing heat although I suspect his first start might be rough

20. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely no argument there, I just don't see any way that it happens.

Hank McDowell likes this.