1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Just bumping this above that abominable thread that keeps rising to the top of the GARM. Carry on.

2. xaos

xaos Member

Bumping this thread in case anyone is interested in a Kevin Porter Jr discussion

3. MystikArkitect

Can someone shut that ****ing thread down. If mods want people to donate to the site set a donation goal that if met gets every KPj thread insta-locked.

4. monster

monster Member

Business is business, and I don’t see any current player as untouchable if the deal is right, but I hope we don’t sell low on JG. I know he’s a hot topic, but I think he’s going to continue his more recent trajectory and become the special player we hoped for from the start. Just a gut feeling, call me crazy. I don’t want to move Alpy either (unless they make us an offer we can’t refuse), but I think Alpy would net more in a trade, and his lack of athleticism is easier to get over than Jalen’s explosiveness. Yes yes, Baby Jokic, but imagine replacing him w a monster at the 5, and a 6’10” stretch at the 4. “Tall order”, I know, but Alpy is a tall “tweener”, and I think other teams are more likely to overpay for him in a trade.

ico4498 likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Cam will be better than Jalen (for the Rockets)

#205 AroundTheWorld, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  6. MystikArkitect

You're crazy.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trying to imagine what Green would have to do to average twice as many turnovers as assists for a season.

Probably would have to forget how to dribble a ball for that to happen.

IBTL likes this.
  8. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

If the team wants to compete, Mitchell clearly is a more impactful player than Jalen at this point in their careers, and will be all-star caliber for at least the rest of this decade.

We have one more year of Jalen on his rookie deal before he asks for $40MM+ per year. If you are confident he can give you 80% of what he did in March consistently, then yeah let’s let it ride with this group and save the picks for later. But if you have doubts, getting a sure top 5 SG in Mitchell when his value is depressed is worth considering

To be clear I’m not suggesting emptying the cupboard for him, but we can be opportunistic. Maybe two picks is too much, but are you telling me that getting Mitchell for Jalen, expirings, and this years Nets’ pick wouldn’t elevate this team? That you don’t see the value in consolidating assets? it’s worth consideration

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

This.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe but Desmond Bane also is probably nothing much without Ja Morant.......

He is as injury prone and has not done anything in the absence of Morant this year.

I have my money on GG Jackson though, that dude is younger than Cam Whitmore and balls out.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What monster? Embiid or Jokic? Okay...

After that, what C are you trading Alperen Sengun for? Let's get these names down on paper.

Give me 5 monsters that can put 45 on Wemby, and then 23-14-19 on a B2B...

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Subtracting Dillon means Tari, or Amen gets those minutes and Mitchell can fill it up.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is like asking:

"Getting Porzingis for Duren + a top 10 pick wouldn't elevate the Pistons?" Of course it would if you only look at immediate results but you don't do that deal especially if you're already at .500 in the rebuild. Duren is only going to trend up and Porzingis has plateaud for years.

You have to consider a longer window than just 'right now this instant' and you have to consider what that would mean in terms of renewals when we're in contention and don't have Mitchell's bird rights.

I keep telling people we are in PRIME position right now. We can just retain everyone, slowly get above 50 wins, all our players rights, plus all our own future picks and maybe 1-2 Brooklyn picks still coming. Lots of financial flexibility in the mean time. Who has that with 6 promising prospects? That's insanely rare. Why would we turn ourselves into the Mavs - capped out and no picks when we hit 50 wins? That plagued us forever under Harden/Morey. That team that's always a piece away with no way to get that piece. If they hadn't luckily gotten Irving dirt cheap they'd be in purgatory for years.

We have to get a better player than Mitchell if we're taking a hatchet to that plan. Damn at the very least a 2-way player. By middle of next season Green might be every bit the scorer as Mitchell and ten times the defender. Why not wait till we definitively know if that's going to happen with our prospects? Players like Mitchell are available all the time, it's not rare at all. He's exactly what we hope Green doesn't become: can't do anything if his jumper is not falling, can't pass, can't defend, can't rebound, can't carry a playoff series with his scoring.

#213 Mathloom, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think most people would trade Jalen for 5-time allstar Donovan Mitchell who is only 27 years old and has averaged over 37% from 3 his last two years. Come on man.

but I doubt the Cavs would do it. I don’t think they want to have to pay Mobley and Jalen the same year. And maybe they don’t even like Jalen. Would probably have to be a 3-way deal of some sort. So you’re probably safe ;)

#214 Aruba77, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    joshuaao likes this.
  15. Aruba77

would love to get Mitchell. But it’s gonna be so competitive if he’s available. The Knicks for example have a ton of picks and would probably go all in to pair Mitchell with Brunson and OG…which would be fierce. Mitchell is from the NY metro area.

I’m sure we’d have to give up much more than Jalen (who they might not even want) and a 1st in a weak draft. The question is, how far are we willing to go?

they’d probably ask for Amen. We’d say no. Then they’d probably ask for Bari. Bari Mobley front court could be appealing to them.

joshuaao likes this.
  16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Green will be in a contract year with all the motivation that brings. Mitchell is a good player but not one of those guys that can will a team to the Finals. You usually have to grow those on your own--it would be incredibly rare to find it in a player moving to his third team.

I advocate for patience. Another year with Udoka/staff and FVV, improvements from Amen and Cam, Tari back, Sengun and Bari getting better and more comfortable, and Green more mature and trying to earn top dollar--I don't feel any desperation to make a big move. (I would not consider a Brooks trade to be a big move.)

Looking at the West, it remains strong but there are no supernova teams, none that seem inevitable. No team in the West came close to 60 wins and all are flawed and beatable. There is a current lack of top-tier superstars not past their prime and we might as well see if one of our guys can help fill that void.

Nook, Rashmon, Aruba77 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Uhh, no. A contender would want that the most that's obvious. A rebuilder would want it the least. A high draft pick is not a guarantee that you will get a young player that Ime Udoka believes any team would love to have and has stepped into being a star. You want to trade Green AND a guaranteed top 10 pick.

You're basing this on your belief that Jalen is his averages and not what he showed us progressively this season. I mentioned in another post to you, that's looking like a fringe opinion now (btw you never addressed why you'd LOVE to get Murray but can't believe Jalen can improve his shooting). The only people who share that opinion is a tiny portion of the most cynical Rockets fan base and some NBA fans who have barely ever watched a game of his. Most of the media, our coaching staff, our players and other NBA fans are heaping praise on this guy. That's where we are as a matter of fact whether you like it or not. You're free to your opinion, but your opinion is not more reflective of his market value than our highly pessimistic and elite HC.

Of course I understand that Mitchell is worth multiple picks. By my estimation, he's worth 3 picks. He was previously traded for 4 picks and has now essentially failed to elevate a second team in a row. He's older and no better than he was in his 2nd season. So the price optimistically drops by 1 pick.So let's compare.

Udoka thinks Jalen is this promising young player under team control who showed he's willing to play net positive defense. He SURELY values this guy at more than one first round pick. For your cynical sake, let's call it 2 picks. So in Green + a top 10 pick to you are trading 3 picks. That's a wash to his HC who believes Jalen is more like his last 25 games than his first 65 games with an upward trend too. In fact we'd be trading 3 VERY good picks. Cavs are not getting 3 picks that are all very good. It's usually one or two good picks and some filler FRP's. Now we're older and improved our floor but took a hammer to our ceiling. Why would we do that?? We are automatically going to reach that floor just through development and minor changes.

I'm safe dude, our HC has player development background from the Spurs, doesn't dish out compliments easily and has a very high threshold of two way players for his roster. If that guy is fantasizing about what Jalen can do for us next season and proud of his defensive improvement and proud of his hard work and mental fortitude, I'm way safer than you think.

If the Cavs want to go young, we're better off offering them the Nets pick and 2 other highly protected FRP's. Trade FVV or Brooks/expirings and that will be a major upgrade with Amen/Tari/Mitchell ramping up their minutes. Jalen is worth 2 picks or more now and could very well be worth more than Mitchell as soon as the middle of next season (score just as well, defend much better).

It's a bad trade proposal for BOTH teams (I don't think the Cavs would accept Jalen + a top 10 pick), they will get offered more by some semi-contender. The fact that you don't like Jalen's personality is clouding your judgement. Try to think what it takes for Ime Udoka to say you are mentally strong. Try to take some comfort in that cause it's going to be VERY hard to pry Green out of this team's hands.

#217 Mathloom, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  18. xaos

xaos Member

Great post

Mathloom likes this.
  19. Aruba77

fair arguments but 1). I never said anything about Jalen’s personality. Let’s just keep it to basketball. 2). I remember Stone talking about Jalen’s mental toughness, but don’t remember Ime saying anything about Jalen that would give one the impression that he’s 1000% committed to him. Sure he’s complimented him, but not sure why you are so certain that Ime all in on Jalen.

I think Patience is a fair argument. And it’s definitely reasonable to hold off making big moves until we see how the team responds next year. I just think it looks like there’s going to be significant player movement this summer. And obviously I’d like to see better shooting out of our shooting guard spot. So if a guy like Mitchell becomes available, you have to consider that.

I’m only cynical about Jalen because he hasn’t shown any real consistency or improved shooting over 3 seasons. I hope that changes next year. But it’s not a fringe point of view bro. As I said before, I see the talent, and I hope he maximizes it. But he’s a frustrating player to tether your team’s future to.

cmlmel77 and joshuaao like this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was watching an offseason preview of the Rockets, and apparently if we don't pick up the option on guys like Landale and Jeff Green we'll have about 16 million and about 10 million to sign a couple guys. I think with adding a draft pick or two, it would be a no brainer that we let go guys like Landale, Boban, Bullock, etc and try to consolidate into two better players. I see a number of guys in free agency who could help our shooting issues, but not many of them are two way players.

Buddy Hield.
    Gary Trent Jr.
    Klay Thompson (ick)
    Malik Monk
    Malik Beasley
    Gordon Hayward

Other guys you could talk me into:

Kelly Oubre Jr.
    DeAnthony Melton
    Royce O'Neale
    Tyus Jones
    Kyle Anderson