1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. Buck Turgidson

Anti-Redding?

Put France's brain with Redding's arm and you could probably win a Cy Young

raining threes and IdStrosfan like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

This franchise used to be the smartest, most well run organization in baseball, I can't believe how unprepared they have looked after the last two offseasons. Going into this season....

They KNEW McCullers return this season would be iffy
    They KNEW Luis Garcia was coming back from Tommy John
    They KNEW Urquidy is injury prone every single year
    They KNEW Verlander is 41 years old
    They KNEW JP France and Hunter Brown's performance is unreliable
    They KNEW even healthy rotation guys could get injured at any point in time
    They KNEW a ton of innings of middle relief were walking out the door
    They KNEW Jose Abreu could suck balls this year, like he did for a large part of last year

Yet they did ZERO to address rotational depth, middle relief, or have a plan for 1B if Abreu was ass, instead they rolled with Pillsbury dougboy with a doo-rag Singleton.

What the hell happened to this thing? I think its Jim Crane, he freaked out after the scandal and instead of letting the geniuses work with just blessing some things here and there, he interjected himself and surrounded himself with the idiots like the boob grabber Bagwell and Yes Man Dana Brown.

And if they truly thought "well with all those pitchers due to return after the ASG we will be set" that is a TERRIBLE approach, if you can't hold water until then and you are out of contention then it makes no difference.

Man I'm pissed.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In our last 10 losses we scored 9 total runs starting from the 7th inning on. Our opponents scored 27 runs.

raining threes likes this.
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Don't forget listening to Reggie Jackson in which even the Yankees knew not to do.

5. astros123

astros123 Member

If we don't get better in the next few months we have to trade bregman for prospects right?!

AKVerse47 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Pringles

Pringles Member

Man this is honestly not something I thought of.

Would we not also trade away Tucker and Frambler? Stock up the farm, and try to compete in a few years? Makes me sad to think that we'd be potentially wasting Altuve's remaining years of his career.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

No, especially if there is hope to re-sign him in the offseason.

8. toby

toby Member

Bergman’s value can’t be super high right now. Only way he gets traded is if the suckage continues for 60 games and he gets going a little. The longer he sucks too. The more likely we can sign him in the off season.

raining threes likes this.
  9. raining threes

Should've hired Sig.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Give all of Sean Bergman's money to Tucker.

11. astros123

astros123 Member

With the expanded playoffs the price for players has gone up substantially. They'll be more contenders than ever before which only drives up cost. Supply nd demand

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Depending their trade value, Bregman, Tucker, Caratini, J Abreu, Valdez, Verlander, Pressly, Urquidy, and Montero would all be shopped if Houston actually fell completely out of contention this season. Bregman’s situation would be determined by whether or not his trade value exceeded the value of the comp pick they’d get by letting him walk in free agency.

While it would suck major balls for the ALCS run to end, if executed properly a single deadline selloff of short term assets could throw the window back open by stacking the farm and clearing off a lot of payroll.

13. astros123

astros123 Member

Wonder what we would get for tucker? More than what the Nationals got for Soto? Pressly has to have some great value seeing how he's had a fabulous post season record?

14. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I feel this captures our feelings now:

desihooper, RocketToVegas and jim1961 like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think they’d get an equal haul to what Soto brought the Nats; Soto is the better player. But I do think 2 MLB Top 50 prospects plus an interesting 3rd prospect is probably reasonable. So take the Soto haul and take out Voit, Wood, and Hassell (I.e. leave in Gore and Abrams and Susana). I think they’d get a similar haul for Valdez, assuming he’s healthy and pitching well at the deadline. That by itself would be 4 elite prospects which would vault the farm into the top 10 in the league. Add in the returns for Bregman, Verlander, and Pressly (each should bring in 1-2 Org Top 10 types), the prospects already in the system, another draft, and the odds of Houston having a top 5 pick in the 2025 draft, and the future would suddenly be shining very brightly.

I don’t expect any of that to happen. I expect Houston to right the ship and make the playoffs. But if they do fall out of contention, I hope they seize the opportunity to dramatically improve their medium/long term outlook.

AznH-TownFan, IBTL and astros123 like this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you are right.

astros123 likes this.
  18. astros123

astros123 Member

You think we could get Chourio & Misiorowski from the brewers for tucker? You rate Valdez and tucker at the same level in terms of value? You don't think you're a bit too high on Valdez?

The brewers would be a perfect trading partner. Loaded with prospects and a team looking to win now....

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

95-67 .589 winning% (43-30)

This is Astros opponent's projected record based on winning% in games vs teams NOT named Astros this season.

Meaning, the Astros have played a 95-win team on average every game in 2024. Not too shabby, right?

OTOT, while playing the Astros, their opponent's luck-meter was on full throttle on the positive side while Houston was experiencing the worst rotation injuries in baseball history. Tall task to overcome, especially with only ONE open date in 21 days which can kill a bullpen. Hope the league enjoyed it while they could because playtime is about to be over.

It doesn't matter much who the manager is (although he needs to and will do better), the Astros are about to turn this around pretty quickly. The entire bullpen rests tomorrow and will get more rest with all the open dates that are incoming. Verlander returns next game. Hunter and France just pitched well against a 100-win team. Ronel appears the real deal. Javier is healthy. And more starters are due to return.

SEVEN consecutive ALCS's, FOUR pennants, and TWO titles from a team with mostly prime or near-prime players. Only 4.5 back in the division. It's rather laughable how some posters are in a frenzy talking about this dynasty is over and trading stars for prospects after all the negative factors the team has faced this season. We're barely 20 games in out of 162.

Just keep JAbreu's ass out of the lineup for a while to heal or just leave him out permanently.

desihooper likes this.