1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I never implied it was a guarantee. In the order of operations, your point is a non-starter until this current conflict is resolved. People in this thread are holding out to the idea that Ukraine will "win" by getting all their land back. so the expectations of resolving the conflict are all over the place...

It's more about giving open support will lend credibility to Putin's propaganda and whatever downstream consequences that come from it.

In case you haven't noticed, support for Ukrainians has decreased in polls whether it be Tucker's Moscow talking points, general fatigue for "forever wars", or people being more risk/financially adverse to supporting lost causes.

It might be a morale boost for our allies in Europe or Kiev, but we never gave full support to Ukraine for a reason. It might be worth it to examine that shift because the pivot could turn this into a bigger election issue than people expected a month ago or wanted to care about

2. Invisible Fan

3. Buck Turgidson

Sex Hair

Nook likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps I’m not really sure then what your point is. Ukraine joining NATO has long been a
    Talking point. If this was Putin’s red line well he already crossed that. In the meantime the conditions for Ukraine joining NATO
    Haven’t changed.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

fox news calls her out, she loses the impeachment effort, and now... large marge was having a really bad day...

dmoneybangbang, Xopher and ROCKSS like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

7. NewRoxFan

Hmm... then why has the maga republican house been blocking aid to Ukraine for so long?

Xopher likes this.
  8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I never thought I would see a time in our history where people like gaetz, mtg and trump cow tow to the ****ing russians....................Reagan is spinning in his grave.

You side with russia and you are a traitor, plain and simple. And let me be clear, the Russian people are not our enemy, the dictator that is putin and his cronies are the enemy, it is real and it is serious. putin is playing trump and company like a drum, but there to stupid to see it

Nook, Andre0087, MadMax and 3 others like this.
  9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I think Johnson is a maga wanna be BUT, he is going against the mtg`s of the world so I am gald he is doing the right thing.

10. NewRoxFan

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

April 17, 2024 - by Heather Cox Richardson (substack.com)

Yesterday on the social media site X, formerly Twitter, Miles Taylor wrote: “After 2016, I helped lead the US gov[ernmen]t response to Russia’s election interference. In 2024, foreign interference will be *worse.* Tech[nology is] more powerful. Adversaries more brazen. American public more susceptible. Political leaders across party lines MUST UNITE against this.”

Taylor served as chief of staff in the Department of Homeland Security under Trump.

Today, Catherine Belton of the Washington Post reported on a secret 2023 document from Russia’s Foreign Ministry calling for an “offensive information campaign” and other measures that attack “‘a coalition of unfriendly countries’ led by the United States. Those measures are designed to affect “the military-political, economic and trade and informational psychological spheres” of Russia’s perceived adversaries.

The plan is to weaken the United States and convince other countries, particularly those in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, that the U.S. will not stand by its allies. By weakening those alliances, Russian leaders hope to shift global power by strengthening Russia’s ties to China, Iran, and North Korea and filling the vacuum left by the crumbling democratic alliances (although it is not at all clear that China is on board with this plan).

According to Belton, one of the academics who advised the authors of the Russian document suggested that Russia should “continue to facilitate the coming to power of isolationist right-wing forces in America,” “enable the destabilization of Latin American countries and the rise to power of extremist forces on the far left and far right there,” increase tensions between the U.S. and China over Taiwan, and “escalate the situation in the Middle East around Israel, Iran and Syria to distract the U.S. with the problems of this region.”

The Russian document suggests that the front lines of that physical, political, and psychological fight are in Ukraine. It says that the outcome of Russia’s invasion of neighboring Ukraine will “to a great degree determine the outlines of the future world order.”

Putin critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky told Belton: “The Americans consider that insofar as they are not directly participating in the war [in Ukraine], then any loss is not their loss. “This is an absolute misunderstanding.”

Media and lawmakers, including those in the Republican Party, have increasingly called out the degree to which Russian propaganda has infiltrated American politics through Republican lawmakers and media figures. Earlier this month, both Representative Michael R. Turner (R-OH), chair of the House Intelligence Committee, and Representative Michael McCaul (R-TX), chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, warned about Russian disinformation in their party. Turner told CNN’s State of the Union that it is “absolutely true” that Republican members of Congress are parroting Russian propaganda. “We see directly coming from Russia attempts to mask communications that are anti-Ukraine and pro-Russia messages, some of which we even hear being uttered on the House floor.” When asked which Republicans had fallen to Russian propaganda, McCaul answered that it is “obvious.”

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think johnson understands how important this issue is but he’s also one of the weakest speakers in history.

Nook and ROCKSS like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

It's an issue because they bungled their ultimatim.

No one but Trump's lieutenants would've deeply cared about the aid package being snuck through, but now that Israel isn't getting their pie uhh maybe it's time to fight back the Russians?

Governering is hard. :(

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Mike Johnson on funding Ukraine (& Iran, Russia, Intel, his son, ...). Start at 8:30 (all caps transcript is how CSPAN does it)

https://www.c-span.org/video/?535006-1/speaker-mike-johnson-holds-news-conference

MY PHILOSOPHY IS YOU DO THE RIGHT THING AND YOU LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY. IF I OPERATED OVER A FEAR OF A MOTION TO VACATE, I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO DO MY JOB. HISTORY JUDGES US FOR WHAT WE DO. THIS IS A CRITICAL TIME RIGHT NOW. I COULD MAKE A SELFISH DECISION AND DO SOMETHING THAT'S DIFFERENT. BUT I AM DOING HERE WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE THE RIGHT THING. I THINK PROVIDING AID TO UKRAINE RIGHT NOW IS REALLY IMPORTANT, I REALLY DO. I BELIEVE THE INTEL AND THE BRIEFINGS WE HAVE GOTTEN. I BELIEVE XI AND VLADIMIR PUTIN AND IRAN REALLY ARE AN AXIS OF EVIL. I THINK VLADIMIR PUTIN WOULD CONTINUE TO MARCH THROUGH EUROPE IF HE WERE ALLOWED. I THINK YOU WOULD GO TO THE BALTICS OR HAVE A SHOWDOWN WITH POLAND ARE ONE OF OUR NATO ALLIES. TO PUT IT BLUNTLY, I WOULD RATHER SEND BULLETS TO UKRAINE THAN AMERICAN BOYS. MY SON IS GOING TO BE GETTING THE NAVAL ACADEMY THIS FALL. THIS IS NOT A JOKE. WE CAN'T PLAY POLITICS WITH THIS. I AM GIVING AN OPPORTUNITY FOR EVERY MEMBER OF THE HOUSE TO VOTE THEIR CONSCIENCE ON THIS, AND I THINK THAT IS THE WAY THIS INSTITUTION IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. I AM WILLING TO TAKE PERSONAL RISK FOR THAT AND HISTORY WILL JUDGE US.

15. Invisible Fan

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What an absolute ****ing shame and joke that he and the pro-war chumps are going back to "Axis of Evil" yet again. Unreal. You can't even satirize our foreign policy anymore.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It’s not a joke and poor NK.

18. dmoneybangbang

Communist Russia didn’t use Christian nationalism, Putin’s Russia uses Christian nationalism.

That’s what has changed and that’s a big reason why MAGA is doing what they are doing.

19. dmoneybangbang

So you think China, Russia, Iran, and NK aren’t working together? And they aren’t our friends?

Russia and China are increasingly controlling more strategic resources in Africa, Central Asia, and S America.

Andre0087 likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know how closely their visions for the future align, especially to the extent that they all envision working alongside one another, but I do know that we aren't giving them compelling reasons to work with us.

I suspect that while we remain hostile towards them they probably don't love the idea of US being the world's superpower.