1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will we do with the role players (Jeff Green, Landale, Tate, Holiday, Bullock, Boban)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 16, 2024.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i’d keep only landale, adams and hinton on the roster going forward… and package the remaining contracts we can for a legit shooter

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Like most here, I think the first on the chopping block is Boban. If he still wants to be a “player” let him walk, if he wants to be a coach and mentor, hire him.

With Adams healthy, how necessary is another 5? Sengun can shift to the 4 occasionally, so maybe you want a versatile 3rd big like a Jeff Green. But Jeff is like 39 next season. Even limited minutes can he provide much?

I really like Landale as a backup, but again, with Adams and he being a legit 5 and not 4/5, you can’t justify wasted salary on him.

Hard to say with Tate. Was he hurt most the season? Or did he fall out of rotation. Always felt he was a great 7th man on a championship team. Hustles, strong, defense, plays multiple positions, decent handle.

I’d pay Holiday a little more, he’s been excellent as a backup PG/SG.

Bullock, he’s been helpful but not worth spending more than minimum.

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  3. jogo

jogo Member

I feel like all of these bench players mentioned have reasons to keep them except Boban.

Jeff-He played great for part of the season and so-so for others. He is versatile and can cover for injuries. I can go either way on him as he is old and we have other bigs now.

Jock-I think he's a keeper even with Adams. When Jock wasn't hurt he was pretty good. That $8 mill contract is a bargain, I might keep him here for three more years because he is pretty good and really cheap.

Tate-He is good insurance if there's an injury or Dillon gets ejected. But I think Amen can fill that role now. He deserves to be traded to a team that will play him more. He's also super cheap, I would keep him unless we get an asset for him (don't trade him for cap room or something).

Holiday-Keep him. A good backup guard is needed on this team and he looked really good at times. He is an UFA so it may depend on cost.

Bullock-I thought he was bad this year. He's our best shooter by percentages but plays rarely and only shoots 1.5 3's a game. He can go.

Boban-coach?

Samuels, Hinton, Nate W-It's the ongoing problem of not enough spots for them. I like all three but don't know if there's any room. Keep one or two on two ways maybe. I like Nate a lot but how does he get playing time? Fred, Jalen, Cam, Amen, Dillon all solidify the G/F spot and that's not even including Tari (as a possible SF). I didn't see much of Samuels. Hinton can be an emergency PG maybe.

We keep the first round pick and trade the second rounder.

Sengun/Adams/Jock
    Jabari/Tari
    Dillon/Amen/Tate
    Jalen/Cam/NateW
    Fred/Holiday

Plus draft pick leaves one spot open for Hinton/Samuels/free agent. Hinton and Samuels can be two way contracts again.

4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

This is where I am at as well. I would keep an eye on opportunities to flip Dillon for someone with an offensive game. A 3pt shooter or an alternative to Jabari at 4 from the draft would be good as well.

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Uncle Jeff is a consummate professional and I hope he retires a Rocket*
    *or plays 2 consecutive years for the same team

Ancient Moabite and sirjesse like this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I would cash in our winning streak and combine Jock and Jalen into a trade. Maybe Jalen, Jock, and our #1 for some combination of Cade, Duren, and Ivey.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If they even find slightly better players, Holiday, Bullock, Tate are gone......I do not mind Landale gone or staying.

Holiday plays well but he would see less and less minutes....naturally.

I think it all hinges on what they do with the Nets Draft pick .....if they pick a big, wing or a guard or if a smaller consolidating trade crystallizes....

AlperenSengun likes this.
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

depends on who we draft.... but i'd keep landale for sure. having both him and adams backing up Sengun is a luxury. Adams can fufill the Boban role.

I don't care about the rest. Love what Tate has done for us but he doesn't fit on the team anymore. Holiday is a nice backup to FVV. Bullock is cheeks. Jeff Green can come back if he's okay with the vet min.

10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I totally missed Tate there. He is gone! Some who can shoot must take his place.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Keep em all except Boban, Tate , and the gleaguers .. . I'd use the same logic as the young core, let em grow together in their current roles..

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Landale is the only one of the bunch that you have to keep. Adams is an unknown at this point, and the Rockets need size. The way his contract was set up, he's a good insurance policy in case Adams isn't healthy. Jeff Green is just too old, despite how good he was last season, age is going to catch up to him at some point.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Cade, Duren, Ivey, Thompson is the Pistons Core. Jalen Green, Alperen Sengun, Thompson are the Rockets Core. Neither Teams are interested in trading for each other. Only the Thompson Twins both the Pistons and Rockets like them playing together.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Nate Williams, Nate Hinton, Samuels that is 3 Spots.

1 Pick, Maybe 2 - 1st Round Picks.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't think keeping Jeff equates to too many big men given that Adams is coming off of a major injury, Sengun is not matchup proof at the 5, and Landale is barely replacement level. If this team has hopes of getting a low seed next year there is no downside to having Jeff Green on this team. I think we as Rockets fans are too used to having a guard and wing heavy roster.

*This changes if another good backup big becomes available in free agency though and/or we can use Landale as trade filler.

#35 napalm06, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I would hate to be a pistons fan. As bad as we have been during this rebuild they have been worse. If they don't want to shake it up at this point, I would be upset.

17. PeppermintCandy

I don't know the salary consequences, but I'd be happy to see Landale back. With Smith, Sengun, Adams, and Landale, the PF/C rotation looks good for next season. Jeff Green and Thompson/Eason would also get some minutes when the Rockets go small.

As others have said, I think Boban's become redundant and the team may need his roster spot for the incoming rookie.

Holiday has been great as a stopgap measure at the PG spot. Not sure the team can do much better for its 3rd-stringer.

Tate and Bullock's been serviceable as end-of-the-roster guys. I'm sure an upgrade could be made, but they'd have to be players who stay ready while not simmering about spot minutes and DNP-CDs.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In a functioning NBA world, you would exchange 1-5 players every season, it is due diligence.......

The Rockets just have too many young guys they are probably not giving up easily and couple veterans that played above their head......

Hank McDowell likes this.
  19. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Landale showed enough in the end I would keep him. He is the energy big every team needs. He will also play for Australia at the Olympics. So I think he will have a great off season that leads into the NBA season.

Holiday I thought was good in stretches and stunk in stretches, I felt like he could pass the ball more. I'd say keep him if the asking price isn't too high.

Tate can go, he is now expendable due to the success of Amen and with Tari coming back.

Green I'd love back for continued vet support, but on a smaller salary.

Boban is Boban. I think there is a chance he retires, unless he returns to the Rockets. Would love to see him in person.

Bullock had a rough start, I thought he was better towards the end. He might be let go in favour of finding someone young to stash on the G league team.

20. MystikArkitect

I think the Rockets will be looking for immediate help in the draft with either Dalton Knecht or Donovan Clingan. Reed Sheppard is nice but he's too raw and his skittishness might scare me at the NBA level. This team needs to win now. Even if we got a Top 4 pick I could see us trading back and taking either of these guys. A Jaime Jacquez type who's more developed and on a rookie deal seems like a good idea. If Clingan is the guy we trade Landale/Tate for a shooter. We also need a backup for Jabari. We have so many 3's but Uncle Jeff is our only true 4. We also need a backup to JG.