1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So in short, his numbers were better than Jalen's across the board AND KPJ was hitting 36.6% from 3 with a TS% that is significantly better than Jalen ever managed.... and they were both 22?

Yeah, there's a reason I was higher on one than the other. How old will Jalen be before he as good as KPJ was at 22?

Will it ever happen?

One of the excuses used for Jalen being awful was Silas.... well, all KPJ ever knew was Silas or worse.... yet he was still better than Jalen across the board.

You really need to pick your battles better.

Arda likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

lol Let that guy go convince some other fan base that Udoka is a straight shooter about EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE.... except Jalen Green.

For Jalen Green only, Udoka is willing to hand him a starting spot he doesn't deserve, make up a lie that he's a hard worker, say he figured things out when he actually just had a hot streak, say - unprompted - that any team in the NBA would love to have Jalen Green, say - unprompted - he's excited about the Sengun-Green pairing next season.

For everything and everyone else, he would never lie. For Jalen Green, he just routinely manufactures lies even if he's not asked about it. Makes a ton of sense.

[​IMG]

Bo6, Believe It!, Dobbizzle and 2 others like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just an objective fact that Jalen has been handed a starting spot he didn't ever earn and doesn't deserve

It's a fact that his game has barely improved in 4 years... and has regressed in some ways.... so if he's a hard worker, it doesn't show.

Udoka also said a year ago that he was excited about the KPJ-Jalen pairing unprompted.....

Sorry kiddo, you're reaching and the facts don't support your delusions.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That is incorrect, Jalen was 21 the majority of his 3rd year while KPJ was 22 the majority of his 4th year.

Just interesting that you were higher on KPJ after his third year as well when Jalen has significantly better numbers at the same point in their career. He is clearly on track to surpass KPJ by his 4th season which has been clear for years.

Wonderful comment, thank you.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They were both 22 at the end of the season and KPJ was miles ahead of Jalen in nearly every way.... Jalen is literally one of the worst shooters in the entire league.

The main reason I was higher on KPJ than Green is that KPJ was a very good shooter who had ball handling and playmaking skills well beyond anything Jalen could dream of. The issue with KPJ was that he needed to be coached to put it all together and that never happened because he's an idiot.

Jalen simply doesn't have anywhere near that level of talent. He has freak athleticism and nothing more... just like when he was drafted.

Arda likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The age difference is a technicality and trying to act like 10 months of development at a young age means nothing is a giveaway you're not arguing in good faith. Very interesting that you would call the difference in those stats "miles ahead". If anything, Jalen's year 3 stats are what's "miles ahead" of KPJ's year 3 stats - the delta is much greater.

We all saw the talent on display in stretches. Consistency is what he lacks - not talent. It's what they both lacked to be honest. KPJ did not increase his efficiency until his 4th season, Jalen is ahead of where he was, efficiency and otherwise, at the same point in their career. We'll see if he improves.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's fine, use whatever excuses for Jalen's constant dogshit performances you need in order to be able to sleep at night, it's comedy to me.

Kevin Porter Jr played a grand total of 196 games in the NBA, Jalen already has 225 starts....meaning he already has more NBA experience than KPJ ever had....yet he's still absolutely terrible and is one of the worst shooters in the entire league.

Also, I never said the difference in the stats were "miles ahead" with the obvious exception of 3 point shooting, I said KPJ's skills were "miles ahead" of Jalen's, because they were/are. He's a better shooter, better passer, better playmaker....despite never having a competent head coach to help him develop, ever.

Of course none of this matters because KPJ isn't a Rocket and he isn't even in the NBA as of right now....he's completely irrelevant to the conversation. The screeching about KPJ is just intended to deflect from how bad Jalen Green is at basketball after years of embarrassing takes like "Jalen Green will be the Rocket's numero uno"

xtruroyaltyx and Arda like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

KPJ has natural triple double talents but that was about it......

#2328 daywalker02, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're lumping me in with another group. I def don't see his potential as a number 1 option at this point. Just found it interesting how down you are on Green when his development pretty closely mirrored and even surpassed KPJ's up to this point in Green's career.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's not his skills that I question, it's his lack of motivation.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. His demeanor at the exit interview and his interviews during training camp came off like he just doesn't take the sport seriously.

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

You know you have a great take when Dumnutz is the only one that likes it...

:cool:

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

KPJ has never played at a level that comes even close to winning player of the month. Jalen Green did in March. Outside of a random hot game here or there, KPJ was consistently below average. I will take a guy that has lots of poor games but has shown all star potential, over a dude that is mediocre all the time.

Look at all the players that have won player of the month https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/awards/by-type/Player-Of-The-Month/29

Even looking at all the players that have won player of the week https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/pow.html there are no "bad" players there. Jalen Green has proven he has the talent to be there.

KPJ has proven that he is not that talented.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You know someone really doesn't have an argument against anything I said when they don't even attempt to make one, instead thinking that taking a swipe at a random 3rd party would be sufficient.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I saw potential in KPJ due to the skillset he had on top of the athleticism. Jalen lacks those skills.

To date, Jalen is still one of the worst shooters in the entire league....so I'm not sure what development you are talking about....unless it's just PPG or something like that.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The problem is his head, if you take his talents and give it to a mildly intelligent baller, it would become something....

But yeah you cannot live without your head.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, so now Jalen is amazing because he won player of the month once due to an unsustainably hot 8 or 9 games?

Celebrate his mini Linsanity all you want, but after those few games, he turned back into the complete embarrassment he's been his entire career.

When I look at players, I look at skillset over hyping up a fluke hot shooting streak.

Anyway, I get that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for ways to defend Jalen, but you have to admit that it's pretty funny.

Sure though, focus on those 8 or 9 games out of 200+ and ignore the rest so you can say there is "star potential" in one of the worst players in the league

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The way someone talks isn't an indication of work ethic.

He's the only player on the team who's played all 82 games while also having the most scrutiny on the team, being benched multiple games and still converted himself into a 2 way player without b****ing about treatment or not getting the ball more etc.

I understand coaches aren't going to say to the media that a player has bad work ethic but they don't have to say they have great work ethic either but his coaches including Ime and Ivey have explained how proud they are of how much he cares about things like game tape and combing through his game with detail and understanding his deficiencies and working on them.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen is ahead of KPJ in TS% as well as the other metrics I cited earlier at the end of their respective third seasons.

It's not the way he talks, he just comes off like it's gonna come easy to him. I didn't hear him mention once during his exit interview what he wanted to improve on (which should be three point shooting obviously). He just doesn't come off as a humble guy.

I'm very hopeful he will improve his shooting this summer and I do recognize he has absolutely improved on other areas of his game (defense, rebounding, decision making, shot selection) so I'm not saying he has no work ethic. It just want him to acknowledge that he should focus on maybe different things in the offseason than he usually does. Like stand still, catch and shoot 3s for instance.

20. MystikArkitect

I mean...it's more times than KPj ever won it.

Rocketeer likes this.