1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Just putting this out there. Not saying we should make a play for him. But it’s interesting that a lot of credible people are saying Dame wants out of Milwaukee, and if the Bucks disappoint in the playoffs, there’s a real possibility that he gets moved this offseason. Miami may get their guy after all.

He’s gonna be 34 this summer and doesn’t play D. I don’t think he’s a good fit for Houston but I bet the bucks would rather send him west than east.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is the problem, all the stars that seem most likely to move are on the wrong side of 30 (or about to be). Doesn't make any sense for our team of 20-22 year olds to be paired with a guy like that. What would make sense would be a deal like when Morey landed Harden, a young guy about to break out into superstar status, but I don't see any obvious candidates.

I keep kicking around thoughts of what it would take to land J-Dub, Maxey, etc but I doubt their organizations would play ball.

cmoak1982 and Aruba77 like this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I think the most likely sub-30 "stars" - depending on your approach to that word - who may be moved are Trae Young, KAT, Spida, Markkanen, and mmmaayyybbbee Brown if the Celtics underperform again. I don't see guys like J-Dub and Maxey as being available.

saleem and OremLK like this.
  4. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Assuming everyone is healthy next season; Would you trade Brooks for Brogdon straight up? I think what the Rockets really need is a good vet back up PG so Fred can stay fresh. Having Brogdon, Fred and Adams expiring at the end of next season would also set the Rockets up with a ton of cap space.

FWIW: Tyus Jones with the full MLE is my top choice. Brogdon is a back up idea for a vet backup PG.

BaselineFade and Aruba77 like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I agree, but all of those guys except Trae and Lauri are already age 27-29, meaning next season is their age 28-30 season. Even that's a bit on the older side for our timeline IMO.

And Trae doesn't play defense, and Lauri only halfway does.

Just not a lot of exciting trade candidates right now. Maybe something surprising will happen and that will change.

6. Aruba77

yep I agree. And remember the only reason why harden was available is because they couldn’t pay everyone. I could see Giddy becoming available (who I don’t want) but no one else of consequence, (including Wallace). Maxey is Philly’s future and they know it. Orlando could move one of their complimentary pieces but not their 3 core guys. I think GS blows it up now, but they’ll probably move forward with Podz, Kaminga and Moody. There are no true stars in Chicago but they do have complimentary players I’d be interest in. I’m not a Trae Young guy; I am a Dejuante Murray guy. One of those guys is gone.

Lauri and Mitchell are realistic and worth considering. Lauri doesn’t play D though. I’m curious what the Pels to with Zion and Branden Ingram after their debacle. I don’t see Boston making any significant changes to the best team in the nba. Same with Denver, and the Knicks aren’t trading Brunson. Don’t want KAT or his injury problems. Would Miami blow it up if they disappoint? Bam would be a great target.

don’t sleep on Embid or even the Greek Freak becoming available. The only person on the Suns id be interested in is Booker. I don’t want the Clips aging stars, but what about Mann?

Cleveland is the most intriguing team to me for a chance to get the kind of up and coming player you speak of. They have several guys that I’d want if they blow it up.

#1806 Aruba77, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    saleem and OremLK like this.
  7. Aruba77

I’ve been pushing the Brooks for Brogdon idea for a while. And I actually prefer that to Tyus Jones because Brogdon can also play the 2. Of course if Jones would take the MLE, you jump on that quickly, but I’m sure he’ll have better offers.

I’m not sure if Portland wants 3yrs of Dillon at $20 mil. The coach and GM would have to love him. Portland has too much cap invested in long term contracts. They don’t have a lot of flexibility. They definitely want to move off that Grant contract. We’d probably have to sweeten the deal to get Brogdon. But I hope we pursue something there.

DM'sVP and BaselineFade like this.
  8. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Houston In: Anfernee Simons

Portland In: 2024 1st Houston (9th overall), Jordan Poole and Johnny Davis

Washington In: Jalen Green, Jeff Green and Jock Landale

9. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Wizards fan I see.

saleem, Aruba77 and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. HealthyHamstring

Would you do Brooks and #9 for Brogdon and #14?

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

lol

baller4life315 likes this.
  12. Aruba77

depends who’s there at #9. I definitely want to avoid giving up too much for Brogdon because he’s on an expiring contract. If there’s a guy we really like at #9 I probably wouldn’t move back for 1 yr of Brogdon. Teams could trade up in front of us and snatch our guy. If our top guys are gone I’d probably rather trade out of the draft for a future 1st. If that’s not possible and we think the draft is flat onward, sure trade back and improve next year’s team in the process. Not sure who the rockets like but Devin Carter would be a great mid-round pick in this draft.

but very interesting thought. Might be worth it to get off the Brooks contract.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. Houston77

Supporting Member

I’m guessing the Hawks are headed for a rebuild. Any interest in Young, Murray, Bog, etc.?

14. Houston77

Supporting Member

So, what about a Dejounte Murray for Brooks swap? Their contracts are basically the same in compensation and length. Murray would help our offense, and Brooks would help their defense. Murray would also provide solid Green insurance. I'm guessing the Hawks would ask for our FRP so they could build around Young, Brooks, Johnson, Okongwu, Hunter, and our RFP. Any interest?

#1814 Houston77, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Aruba77 likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What is your starting 5 if we get Murray?

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

Good question. I’d be tempted to roll with FVV / Murray / Amen / Smith / Sengun and let Green run the second unit until he illustrates consistency. If he earns it, deal FVV at the trade deadline and roll with Murray / Green / Amen / Smith / Sengun. I do think, though, we would have made the playin/playoffs this season if we had consistent play at the 2.

17. Strawberry Gum

I've seen Hawks fans saying that Murray is not the defender he used to be. He also seems like a tough character to deal with, I remember him having some issues with Pop and the Spurs.

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

You'd probably have to send them 9 this year, 1 extra 1st, and 1 more 1st to take on brooks dead money

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

True, though his defense picked up after the All Star break. I'd imagine Ime could help him regain his former defensive prowess.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  20. Houston77

Supporting Member

Meh, you and I differ with regard to Brooks. I don’t think he’s a negative asset at all.

xaos likes this.