1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. raining threes

Gotta get this fixed.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

4. raining threes

Notice that they did meet with Thomas though.

They touched all of the bases when it came to possible great players falling to 1-23. Great job by Caserio/Ryans.

houstonstime likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Unless Thomas or maybe AD are there, I agree they go defense. But maybe one of the speedsters falls to the 2nd or 3rd. Or they sign a Curtis Samuel type. I’m fine with that as long as the take care of RB and add some splashes on D.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39955777/how-patriots-legend-bill-belichick-end-nfl-job

On the morning of Jan. 25, Blank and executives interviewed a final candidate, Texans offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik. The meeting went 90 minutes longer than scheduled. They liked him but were worried about losing out on Morris, who was due to interview with the Seahawks. After Slowik left, Blank and the Falcons execs compared notes. Morris was the unanimous first choice. The team then discussed alternatives if they couldn't hire Morris. In that straw poll, Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald, eventually hired by the Seahawks, was the second choice. Slowik finished third.

percicles and jch1911 like this.
  7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Heard this story on the drive in this morning, but from the perspective of Most Over-Rated Head Coach in the History of the NFL Bill Belichick not making anybody's top three.

I think the jury is out...nobody really wants to hire a 71-year old egomaniacal, arrogant ******* that's 70 and 93 lifetime with 1 post season win if he's not bringing cheating Tom Brady with him.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I’ll give you the age concern at 72. But He has 12 Super Bowl appearances and 8 rings as a DC and HC. He had 2 rings when he met Brady.

It’s interesting that Folks never go in on Bill Walsh for only winning 3 Super Bowls with Montana. He never did anything with anyone else. They just call Walsh a genius and leave it at that.

To add to that Joe Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different starting QBs and no one calls him the greatest, so these things seem to be pretty subjective.

#688 TEXNIFICENT, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  9. Buck Turgidson

There's no ****ing way you can call Joe Gibbs an overrated coach. Bill Walsh too.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree Walsh was great.

Not what I’m saying, at all.

As a matter of fact I could make the case that Joe Gibbs is the most UNDERRATED coach of all time. What he did is more impressive that what Bill Walsh with the 49ers.
    4 Super Bowls, 3 wins, with 3 different QBs.
    He also was the OC for the Chargers when they had 3 -1.000 yd s receiving. (Winslow, Joiner, & Jefferson). At the time the league hadn’t seen anything like that.
    And he basically invented the H-Back position to help block Lawrence Taylor in the 80s. LT was ending QBs careers at the time. Gibbs was a Master that never gets any love for being the Greatest of all time.

But there’s no way you could call Belichek overrated either when the guy was winning Super Bowls as a DC since the 80s. He had a huge impact on Parcels coaching success and then built his own dynasty with the Patriots. And folks want to dumb him down to Tom Brady” carried” him? But we hear talking heads throw it out there all the time. Then they call every skinny dude wearing a visor, holding a Chili’s menu to his face, calling plays “a genius “ it just silly and so subjective.

#690 TEXNIFICENT, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  11. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

No denying Belichick was a successful coordinator, but I stand by my contention that he's the most overrated HEAD COACH in NFL history. The (lack of) results speak for themselves. He has done NOTHING as a head coach without cheating Tom Brady. NOTHING.

I would be FURIOUS if the Texans were to ever hire him as HC.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

And Bill Walsh won NOTHING without Montana
    Mike Shannahan won NOTHING without John Elway.
    Andy Reid has won NOTHING without Mahomes.
    Jimmy Johnson has won NOTHING without Aikman.

So that diminishes them? I think Belichek and these guys are all Hall of Famers.

Besides, I would hope the Texans wouldn’t want a 72 year old HC with NOTHING to prove at this point anyway.

#692 TEXNIFICENT, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Sooty, T_Man and red5rocket like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd hire Nick Saban as DC if he were willing.

red5rocket and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  14. plee

plee Member

add Jimmy Johnson...

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Bill Parcells is 0-3 in the playoffs without Bill Belichick as his DC. Super overrated.