1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune: Part Two

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 3, 2023.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Butler's favorite song

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not sure how other people are interpreting this. I think she fears daddy is going to turn her little baby bean into a narcissist like his father.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That’s a very charitable interpretation. You are talking about someone who implanted elf ears, and agreed to name her child an actual math equation.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rebel Dune: Part Two

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I finally saw Dune part 2 yesterday and glad I saw it on the big screen. It is an epic and the visuals are outstanding.

While it follows the book pretty closely there are some changes that affect the direction and focus of the overall story.
    In the movie Paul threatens to destroy the spice using nukes. In the book it is Paul can metabolize the Water of Life but also transform it back into a poison to the Sandworms. He sees through prescience that he can cause an environmental chain reaction that will wipe out the Sandworms including their larval form, sandtrout who actually make the spice, ending spice production. While this might seem like a small change it emphasizes how interconnected the ecology of Arrakis is and also that Paul is superhuman.

The destruction of the spice seems to be downplayed in the movie with more focus on the political and religious aspects of Paul being the Mahdi. It is a more important plot and one that was much more emphasized in the 1980's movie and parodied frequently.

Without Melange the economy and society of the Imperium would collapse as faster than light space travel is only possible through the heavy use of the spice. The Spacing Guild stops the other major houses from attacking Arrakis because of the threat to the spice. Also the spice is addictive and if spice production where halted not only would the Fremen and Guild Navigators die from spice withdrawal most of the wealthy and powerful in the Imperium would die because they've been taking the spice to extend their lives.

While the end of the movie is with the Great Houses not willing to accept Paul and the Fremen launching to attack them in the book they surrender because the Guild will not let them. Paul will marry Princess Irulan and becomes the uncontested emperor. This is a spoiler for the next book as Paul see's his solution of becoming the emperor how Jihad is avoided but a Jihad still happens as the Fremen fanaticism can't be restrained. Oddly Frank Herbert doesn't go into much detail about it. My guess is that the Villanueve and the writers for the movie didn't like the lack of resolution or explanation about the Jihad and having the Great Houses not accept Paul was a good reason to have Paul unleash the Fremen on the galaxy.

On the Fremen fanaticism the book has very little conflict within the Fremen. For the most part all of them including Chani accept him as the Mahdi. Stilgar does say Paul should kill him to become leader of the Sietch but Paul does say it would be like cutting off his right arm and rejects it by stating he is beyond Fremen tradition and not just a leader of Sietch but a whole movement.

One interesting change from the book to the movie is that while in the book the Fremen do have giant cisterns of water. These aren't water taken from their dead but captured environmental moisture. They are doing so not for the Lisan Al Gaib but because Liet Kynes (the imperial ecologist who dies in the first movie) father was the first imperial ecologist and realizes that Arrakis once was a wet planet but actually has enough moisture that could reverse the desertification of the planet. He convinces the Fremen to engage in a multi generational project to terraform the planet and they regard him as a prophet. Paul and his mother as soon as they find out about that project hijack it by saying that they can bring about the change much sooner.

Finally in the book Chani never abandons Paul but accepts his marriage to Princess Irulan and the final paragraph of the book is:
    "“Do you know so little of my son?” Jessica whispered. “See that princess standing there, so haughty and confident. They say she has pretensions of a literary nature. Let us hope she finds solace in such things; she’ll have little else.” A bitter laugh escaped Jessica. “Think on it, Chani: that princess will have the name, yet she’ll live as less than a concubine — never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she’s bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine — history will call us wives.”"
    The point of this is that it brings the Jessica story full circle as she was the bound concubine to Leto and now Chani is the bound concubine to Paul. Jessica has played a large role in manipulating Paul to this position.

One other change is that in the book Paul's sister Alia is born by the time of the final battle. Because of the experience with the Water of Life though she is born with complete knowledge of her and all the lives of her ancestors. This plays a major point in the next two books. The Fremen are frightened by this and she is considered an abomination by both them and the Bene Gesserit. In the book and the 1980's movie she is captured by the Harkonnens just before the final battle and is the one who kills Baron Vladimir Harkonen.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Her Arya Moment . . .. or did Arya steal it from her :D

Rocket River

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bruh is a salty eboy with rizz and mint skills.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

One of the best movies I’ve ever seen. Def top 3 sci-fi trilogies all time

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I don’t watch movies anymore because a story so much better told over a show or mini series. This movie felt like - mini series

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

There's a third one already?

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Dilogy*

clos4life likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought this would have made a Billion by now
    Kind of surprised it has now.

Rocket River

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's much harder now that its available for streaming.

Saw this on imax and loved every bit of it.

It felt like 2 movies in one with the screentime and pacing. That usually dampens box-office numbers unless it's nonstop action like avatar or infinity war...

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I didn't know it was streaming already

Rocket River

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Hits premium VOD streaming today, $29.99.....

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, buddy of mine told our text nerd group that 'It's on Prime!' so I go to look and whomp-whomp it's $25 minimum to rent digitally. It's still playing at the local Cinemark for $5 at night. I gave him **** about it.

That's like telling the other kids 'there's ice cream at the park!' then getting there and it's the ****ing ice cream man. Not every kid has pocket money, rich kid. I just realized he was the rich kid growing up. Going to draw a dick on his face with a Sharpe at our next sleepover.