1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

It has more chance than you realize. All it takes is a bunch of rich-ass schools (ie the Big10, SEC, Big12, ACC) to partner with a couple of TV networks and say "let's do this"

...and then football at the NCAA level is destroyed (which it probably should be). I love the promotion/relegation concept.

Just don't **** with March Madness,.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think they can mess with March Madness as long as the Big East exists. Any alternative tournament that lacks Connecticut, Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, etc. would be illegitimate.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Right! Football does it's thing, Basketball does it's thing. I'm pretty sure St John's doesn't want to play Oklahoma at football.

I have no idea how this impacts women's sports, or track, or the 32 other ones.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think the goal is to unlink the Olympic sports from football so you can have something more like the southwest conference with easier travel for everything by football and basketball.

DonnyMost, mtbrays and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The idea of a super tier is quite possible. The notion it will have 70 teams is nonsensical. Maybe 30-35 teams. IMO, it would be the B1G, SEC schools + Notre Dame + maybe 2-3 more lucky schools.

If a super tier happens, March Madness would eventually be affected in a big way.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

30-40 teams is probably correct. This is all an inevitability, because this is a professional sport and has been for a long time. It's only natural that the top producers in terms of revenue would want to consolidate, increase their value, and capture more of it for themselves.

The cutoff point will always be arbitrary due to both the conference baggage and the fact that the revenue deltas are so insane. For example:

The difference in earnings between the top program ($161MM) and the #10 program ($95MM) is as large as the difference in earnings between the #10 program and the #70 program ($29MM).

Personally I'm an accelerationist. I want this to hurry up and get over with so we can start building on granite and stop building on sand.

Even if my team is left out (which it almost certainly will be), I don't really care. I will still donate and watch and attend when possible. Sharing a league with 41-80 sounds like a good time TBH.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Isn't FBS Football already separated from the NCAA? The winner of the playoffs does not win the NCAA National Championship. The NCAA Division 1 Champion is the FCS winner.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hell yeah, right on.

Hell no, **** that. I could 55x Bezos & Musk combined and not give 1 ****ing CENT to TAMU. Why we donating to for-profits? **** em'.