1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. maypk

maypk Member

And? Where did I say he did?

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

"Jordan-esque." People gon get mad.

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nice responses, really mature. Your entire post is ad hominem attacks because you lost the argument. I wrote 100% facts. The Turkish basketball league is trash ball.

HardenReturns likes this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beşiktaş_J.K._(men's_basketball)

"Beşiktaş Basketbol, for sponsorship reasons Beşiktaş Emlakjet is a Turkish professional basketball team from the city of Istanbul. The team formed in 1967 as the basketball section of Beşiktaş J.K., which was founded in 1903. The team competes in the Turkish Basketball Super League and in the EuroCup."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroCup_Basketball

"EuroCup Basketball, commonly known as the EuroCup and currently called BKT EuroCup for sponsorship reasons, is an annual professional basketball club competition organized by Euroleague Basketball. The league is regarded as Euroleague Basketball's second-tier professional basketball club tournament."

Literally not good enough to play in the Euroleague with the ACTUAL stars in Europe. Sengun is not similar to Doncic, no matter how much y'all try and lie it into existence.

5. maypk

maypk Member

OK go to your room, masturbate, and let the grown ups talk.

6. maypk

maypk Member

Exactly, and Jalen is not similar to Sengun, no matter how much y'all try and lie it into existence ;)

7. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

That's a straw man. I said he needs to improve his shooting, not that he has to be a great shooter.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He shot 32% from 3 his last 10 games. He can’t shoot long range. After 3 yrs, let’s all just admit that.

while I’m not a big fan of Jalen with his emotional fragility and wild inconsistency, I believe he could become a great mid-range shooter and scorer. And that’s valuable. If you look at guys like DeRozen and SGA, that’s what I think Jalen’s ceiling is. But as good as those guys are, I worry that a mid-range scorer isn’t what we need next to Amen and Sengun, who we should definitely be building around.

can a DeRozen work with Sengun and Amen? Would love to hear folks’ thoughts on this.

charlieaustin likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When a player has 3 years they generally show you who they are -he is an inconsistent shooter who isn't great at anything.

Trade him.

DD

Y2JT likes this.
  10. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

My end of season review on Jalen: He was absolutely not good enough for most of the season, as as much as I tried to glaze over it with optimistic takes, the truth was the truth.

The last month and a half, including the bad games, showed me something different. He is still an inconsistent shooter, and his effort seems to wane when he’s unfocused, but Jalen finally contributed to winning and his game just LOOKS different now.

I think the Rockets saved themselves some money when Jalen ended the season coming down to earth (if they’re going to extend him at all this offseason) but I certainly think he deserves another season to show us that he is capable of putting in smart work during the offseason and taking steps towards becoming the player that we hope he can be.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a huge Jalen fan or you hate his guts—I know all of us hope he becomes a superstar for the sake of the Rockets. Realistically, I just hope he becomes a more consistent shooter and keeps improving as an all-around player. Instead of empty optimism, I now have real hope.

…And hope is a hell of a drug

Moe, IvanLCPM, charlieaustin and 5 others like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Boban outplayed Jalen, that is all I need to know, if it was only one game.

jim1961 and Roomba like this.
  12. thething

thething Contributing Member

He was hot to end his rookie season as well. Yes he has made some minor improvements in his game, but he hasn't shown the consistency of a star to this point.

I'm ok with trading him if you can get a really nice return for him, but otherwise make him prove he can do it for a full season before giving him major money.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Over the last 25 games - which is roughly when the HC said he started "getting it" - he's shot over 37% on 9.4 attempts. That's more than a quarter of the season.

When you're shooting 33% on the season on a crazy high number of attempts (15th highest in the entire NBA), it just means you're not an excellent shooter. That's not a bad overall shooter, that's a guy who's taking too many 3's especially because the paint is packed and the coach for some reason is telling him to stop attacking bigs too aggressively.

League average is 36.6% and on WAY lower attempts than Jalen. On a reasonable number of attempts - say like Ja Morant's 4-5 attempts - he would certainly be better than Morant and probably close to league average. We know for a fact most of his 3's are 4-6 feet open and he makes 39% of those. Imagine the staff that assisted Chip Engelaand thinking this is a "will never shoot league average" hopeless situation for a 22 year old.

DeMar DeRozan didn't take more than 3.6 3PA in 14 seasons and his percentages are worse than Jalen's. He's an elite mid range scorer unlike Jalen. Nothing similar between these two.

You seem to keep finding things to sigh and shrug your shoulders about with Jalen as though it's hopeless. Don't worry so much, that time is never coming. Just today - totally unprompted - two of his teammates mentioned his excellent work ethic in their exit interviews. Royal Ivey said he knows it. All his ex coaches. Tons of teammates from high school to date. It's beyond debate at this point that he puts the work in off the court. The chances of him not improving at this is as low as can be.

We have to open up the paint like a grown up modern NBA team that is interested in winning championships. His 3PT% always improves when we have more spacing because they sag off him and so he stops thinking he needs to take difficult 3pt shots.

All it will take is for him or Sengun to improve their shooting this summer. Hard to be pessimistic about that, these two are very responsive to coaching.

cmlmel77, cbass and JayGoogle like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I get that you are a Jalen fan. I certainly hope you are right about him. I see the talent. But the problem is that he’s not a good shooter, he turns the ball over too much, and he shows inconsistent effort. You say all he has to do is improve his shooting this offseason, but why hasn’t the shooting improved over 3 seasons? You have to agree that it’s strange for a player to shoot worse in year 3 than he did in his rookie season. If he finished up this season strong I’d feel a lot better about going into next season with him on the roster, but he didn’t. Why did he not play hard down the stretch? Why did he get benched again?

it’s crazy to go into year 4 and not know what you have in your highest draft pick since Yao. You certainly can’t pay a guy like that. If it’s him or Sengun, I know which one I’m keeping. I’m keeping the guy who’s improved every year and is the better player.

this is all a moot point because if Ime doesn’t believe in him, I doubt he’ll be on the roster much longer. If ime believes in him, I believe in him. So I guess we’ll see.

#574 Aruba77, Apr 15, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    charlieaustin likes this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He needs to lock himself in the gym and do nothing besides shoot threes. 1000 shots a day minimum

cmoak1982, IBTL and Mathloom like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing about true JOFs are that they are internally harsher on their target object than normal fans of the team.........

I am sure he has this superstar version of Jalen in his head for 3 years now that it could explode at any time.

I am glad I am not in that constant head space of worrying about this dude.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

To be frank I'm not interested in expanding the goal posts as there's nothing I'll say that you haven't read in my/other's posts already.

I was just responding to your specific deliberation that we are at a hopeless dead end with Jalen's shooting and should trade him because it's not going to change. This discussion has nothing to do with being a fan, I gave you stats and case studies and a working model. Can polish his shot, improve his selection, reduce his attempts or if Sengun develops a shot it won't even matter because he'll be eating teams alive at the rim like a Morant.

To say that he will be a low efficiency shooter forever is honestly a ludicrously cynical statement even if his shooting has been practically static so far (+/- ONE percent, which you describe as though alarmingly declining). Yes there are many players who don't improve their shooting their first few years and then do. I'll do the digging if you promise to change your mind upon me presenting 3 examples but really it's you who is making the claim so you should show evidence that if your efficiency is static for a few years you'll never improve.

18. maypk

maypk Member

• Over 37% percent 3p% shooter over the last 25 games
    • Packed paint
    • The coach is telling him to stop attacking bigs too aggressively
    • Excellent work ethic
    • Packed paint
    I understand you believe in Jalen but blaming literally everything around him for his own failure is not the way to go.

19. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

In his exit interview, Jalen talked about bad habits that he’s been working to break—and he acknowledged that it’s still a work in progress. I know words are just words, but it’s something beyond the normal sports platitudes we hear, and Jalen does tend to be more self-aware than the usual hyper-confident young sports guy (though that’s probably because he isn’t an irrationally confident guy by nature).

I really, really hope if nothing else that his shooting is a major focus this offseason. Sure, fashion week will come calling, endorsements and podcasts and events will eat up a few hours…but that still leaves a ****ton of time for working out, getting in the gym, and becoming a better basketball player.

I’ll put a nice, expensive, delicious dinner on Jalen becoming an all-star within the next two years. Do I really believe it? Truthfully, not quite yet. But hey, I live in Beijing and you’ll have to come all the way here to collect your bet anyway :p

Os Trigonum, Aruba77, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair take, if his parents actually did hire a speech coach during his childhood he would not have used his nose to speak ....

Little work big results type of effort.

Roomba likes this.