1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Meh. I’m not opposed to trading towards a good player, but not for future assets. And even the worst drafts in history have multiple All-Stars.

larry cook, roslolian and xaos like this.
  2. fattz

fattz Member

Neither are the answer. Green is not going to yield anything either. And here we are.

3. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

anyone knows if the Nets and Jazz finished with same record (likely 32/50) how to decide the 8th/9th pick?

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

Coin flip?

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He was played pretty much miserable, uninspired ball for the G-league ignite.

He might be outside of my top 10 .....

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There is a draw to determine rankings.

However, for the lottery, they combine the ping pong balls for both spots and give half to each.

Eg for 8/9 they combine all the top 4 chances for both, divide by 2, and then allocate the lottery balls for the tied teams equally.

So top4 odds increase if there is a tie, and if the pick is not top 4, the previous rankings draw determines who is higher

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

If scenario A is true you just played yourself losing Brooks AND multiple picks for a two year rental. I don't understand the point of that "vet player" we have FVV, Brooks, Adams, Jeff and Boban we are full of vets already. Bridges isn't a spring chicken, if he isn't a Mac player now why do you think he will be a max player when he is 30? Dude is 27 he will marginally improve at best and will be a worse player at worst.

On the risk reward scale it doesn't check out the upgrade from Brooks to 2 yrs of Bridges isn't worth multiple lotto picks let alone 1 lotto pick.

This is purely a "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome there is a limit to Bridges that's why they keep saying he is best as the 3rd option. Bro in 2 yrs Bridges will be a 30M+ for a 30 yr old 3rd option? Whut?

This is a move that is reminiscent of Chicago Bulls Vucevic trade but at least Vucevic was an all star when that trade happened.

8. StroudAndYorDaddy

weak draft

GOATuve likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

For sure. It makes no sense whatsoever to spend real, valuable assets on Bridges. I don't get it. Save your ammo for a real star

roslolian and kspires999 like this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this draft is cheeks. can we take Caitlin Clark? would sell a lot of uni's.

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm good with Clingan wherever we land.

Death to smolbol.

Lineups:

Fred - Jalen - Jabari - Alpe - Adams
    Amen - Cam - Tari - Landale - Clingan

I wanna be that big ****ing team for once.

12. fattz

fattz Member

Watch our pick that OKC owns hit and the Brooklyn pick so end up with two higher guaranteed salaries for role players we can’t afford to keep long term. We are the luckiest unlucky team.

13. Houston77

Supporting Member

Am I the only one who doesn’t hate this draft, particularly from our likely position? Like, look at the prospects commonly mocked to us. Knecht could contribute day one in a bunch of different ways. Williams has great upside and family lineage. We desperately need Sheppard’s shooting. Clingan would be a great rotational big. And that’s not even considering a guy like Topic falling to us, which has happened in a couple mocks. I really don't hate any of the prospects in our range. The issue with this draft isn't in the 7 - 10 range; it's that there's no top guy, or even top three for that matter.

#973 Houston77, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Even if we get a top 4 pick, it will be like drafting a late lotto or mid-1st round pick in a normal draft. The scouts evaluating this draft are saying Sarr would be a late lotto pick in a normal draft.

that’s not to say that late lotto or mid-1st round guys can’t be good players (Sengun, Tari, etc.), but the chances of getting a star out of this draft are extremely poor.

the scouting reports on the Intl prospects have not been very good. Not a lot of faith in Risacher or Topic. The G-League ignight prospects are also huge risks. How do you draft a Matas given the poor showing this season; yet I’m pretty sure if he was playing in the ncaa tournament he would be getting run as a high lotto pick.

I’m hoping our front office is turning over every stone to turn this pick into a really good nba player that can help us next season and in the future. Someone like a Dejuante Murray.

Even if we are drafting at #9, opinions of these player vary so much that someone we really like could be there. Moving back is even something to consider if we like a guy who we know we’ll be able to get a few spots later. if we keep the pick here are a few guys that are intriguing to me:

Clingan (not gonna be there at #9)
    Reed Shepard
    Dillingham (plays no D)
    Castle (drafting another non-shooter scares me)
    Salaun (upside euro-stash)
    Devin Carter

#974 Aruba77, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's an okay draft for roleplayers, and we're in the market for roleplayers I guess. Just not a lot of upside IMO. Total crapshoot in terms of star potential.

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

All those guys aside from Knecht have pretty strong upside IMO. I mean, how can you claim Williams doesn’t have upside when his brother is one of the best under 25 player in the league and Cody is actually bigger?

Corrosion likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

They're pretty different as players even though they're brothers--Cody is a much, much less-confident jump shooter, for example. That said, Williams is one of the only guys in this class I see as having legitimate star upside, you're right. Him and Sarr jump to mind in that category. Both are very raw though. Closer to a guy like Coulibaly in last year's class, who Wash surprised a lot of people by taking him so high

Amel likes this.
  18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I dont think this draft is that bad. Lots of fundamentally sound guys that could excel immediately.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member