1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros at Royals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

It wasn’t just them three, it was Graveman as well.

Uprising and Radricky like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What the last 2 games have shown us is our bullpen depth is pretty darn good. One run over over 14 straight bullpen innings in pretty strong. If you go back another game, you have 2 runs over 17 innings. We just burned a lot of arms when our minor league starter couldn't get 2 outs in his debut. We had a bullpen game the day before and won. The issue is that we only got 3 runs from like 14 hits. It's time to move Pena up and Bregman down.

#402 rockbox, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    Viol8r, dholi_1, ROCKSS and 3 others like this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

That is what I am saying. Javier should not have come out for the 6th

rockbox and ROCKSS like this.
  4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Oh my bad, misunderstood you. I agree, definitely would have taken him out and started the inning with Montero as well. It didn’t cost us the lead though because we luckily got out of that inning without giving up a run.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need half the team to step up. We have 4 guys batting over .300 and a lot of others stepping up to the plate and performing poorly.

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Well that sucked.

Does anyone have an opinion whether the Witt triple would have been a different result if Meyers was in CF?

Personally, I don't see how he catches it - that ball was smoked, but Dubon played it off the wall terribly.

Is it a double with Meyers in there? Is it an inside the park HR because Meyers aggressive route running and trying to catch it so he is further away after the carom?

Obviously the Bregman error was the big issue, but I see a scenario where if Meyers was in CF, Witt doesn't score.

Tomstro likes this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Espada said postgame Hader pitches 2 innings if Astros had taken the lead.

Only 3 runs scored with 14 f***ing hits. Astros don't advance bases without homeruns. They can barely muster a productive out.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Watching the replay, I think Meyers might have had the range to get to the ball, but he would have had to suicide run into the wall to make the catch. It almost certainly plays out the same way with Meyers slowing down to play the bounce like Dubon did. The bounce was just a weird freak ricochet, can't really plan for the ball going hard left like that.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/746326/play/45

IdStrosfan likes this.
  9. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

F*** that dude. Tell him to return the 2017 WS ring and earn one himself. LOL

Radricky likes this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

11. Screaming Fist

Catch probability was 0% for that ball so I don't think Meyers gets to it. However, I think Meyers would have fielded it cleaner. Dubon for some reason crowded the ball when it bounced off the base of the wall so he had no chance of getting to it cleanly.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Witt legs out lots of triples... even if Meyers plays it clean off the wall, thats a big ballpark and we know the scouting report on Meyers arm would have suggested to force him to try to throw.

I know people don't like Dubon playing over Meyers, and are going to try and find every moment where that move could possibly backfire, but not seeing much change with a role reversal for this play.

I do like Dubon's bat off the bench in later inning situations better than I like Meyers trying to hit elite relief pitching... not sure what that says about who should or shouldn't be getting more AB's than the other, but I do think Dubon is more versatile in that sense. Ideally Meyers still gets the majority of starts (unless his bat starts to truly falter), but easily PH for in certain later game situations (which does weaken the defense).

IdStrosfan likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In general, I don't mind Dubon occasionally starting over Meyers, particularly when a GB pitcher is going.

I agree that play likely doesn't change, but on general principle against a lefty starter and with a heavy fly ball pitcher going for us, zero reason Meyers should not have started yesterday. It's the kind of stupid thing Dusty did all year, and I hate seeing Espada already doing the same damn thing.

If they want to get Dubon in some games then get him reps at 1B where we have worse hitters and fielders than Meyers.

bloodwings19 likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Perhaps. Or maybe the front office is no longer in the business of betting their job security on one Jake Meyers?

(this is a joke...)

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Pitching to Salvador is what Dusty would have done, he has the mentality of a long season.

2.5 out with an 4-8 record. And Red Sox is also 2.5 out from first place with a 7-4 record that to me is a positive from a oddball season so far.

16. Screaming Fist

I think people undersell Meyers' bat as well given how he performed coming back from his shoulder injury. He has much more pop than Dubon and can draw walks. Dubon generally does a good job of playing to his strengths as a hitter and maximizing what he has, but Meyers, imo, has the higher offensive ceiling given that he has a much more well rounded skill set at the plate than Dubie.

Meyers to me seems like another Astros success story waiting to happen if they would just play him as a starter in CF and let him rack up 2.5-4 WAR in the process.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah Meyers’ bat has looked fantastic this season and his production has been very high despite a very low babip. He has been smoking the ball a lot, evidenced by his exit velos. Like you said he’s a borderline star at his current output. He will always strike out a bit and have a weak arm, but he covers ground and tracks the ball in the outfield better than anyone in the league and he hits the ball very hard when he makes contact.

18. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

royals have won 4 straight against us (that late sweep at home last year). they have won 6 of last 7 against us

team needs to wake up

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I didn't like Dubon starting over Meyers yesterday, especially with a flyball pitcher on the mound and lefty pitching against.

I did not consider the late inning hitting issue. Dubon likely puts the ball in play when Meyers struck out.

I have few issues with Espada so far, but this is one I think would have been better in reverse.

whiskeyred likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If people are going to pretend Dubon would have thrown someone out every time Meyers doesn't throw someone out when he had to make a long run just to be in position for people to complain about his arm, Meyers so would have caught that.

Also, Meyers had a 0.1 seconds more to catch this ball a similar distance away...
    https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=629dfcd2-185f-441c-a1a7-7766c0c98c38

Not a guarantee Meyers makes that play. Probably doesn't, but a lot of defensive value for Meyers is going to come when he makes plays that he doesn't always/usually make.

#420 Joe Joe, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    Snake Diggit and Nook like this.