1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Underrated23, May 7, 2023.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

His OBP was always there... but at this point, his ceiling is Daryl Ward.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  2. lnchan

Why not Caratini and have Cesar Salazar called up? He has far more experience at first than when Dusty experimented with Dubon there... Loperfido is already 25 -- service time shouldn't be an issue, and another lefty bat could be useful.

The Beard and Nook like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think we already know this answer.

Htown Stros likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Caratini will give you an OPS in the 650-700 range.... that really isn't good enough IMO. They would rather wait and see what they get from Abreu.

As for Loperfido - it isn't just about service time, it is about him proving at the AAA level and to the teams player development staff that he is ready to have success at the big league level.

Right now it is hard to make meaningful trades. The one real "hope" is Belt, who had an OPS over .800 last year, but mostly was a DH last season and struggles against lefties. I don't know for sure if Belt wants too much money or if the Astros are afraid signing Belt would cause issues with Abreu, who they think could still bounce back.

Snake Diggit and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Loperfido has over 170 pa in AAA and has struck out in more than 1/3 of them. Anyone thinking the odds are good he could come up right now and have success is foolish. He needs to continue to develop in AAA and if he gets 150+ pa where his k rate is below 25% without sacrificing power then we can talk about him deserving to get a shot. Right now he would project to something like a .220/.285/.385 slash line and that’s not viable at 1B.

everyday eddie and Houstunna like this.
  6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

This seemed like an appropriate place to insert our current first baseman's slash line .067 .067 .219 into this conversation. Adding to that is his SO% of .333 and you can see why Loperfido looks like a better option.

7. Screaming Fist

I think Belt replacing Singleton is the only move that makes sense this season for addressing this problem, at least before the trade deadline anyway. I wonder if there is concern about signing Belt bumping them into the next tier of LT penalties? If it's simply a matter of not hurting Abreu's feelings, then signing Belt might make sense as at the very least you could platoon the two to get the most out of them.

IBTL and RustyHarden like this.
  8. lnchan

Not viable... but still a better option.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Meh. The point is not to replace Abreu’s past, it’s to make the most out of the future. For reference, Loperfido’s projection would be worse than not only what Abreu projects to be, but what washed up Yuli Gurriel would project to hit if Houston brought him off the scrap heap.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I see ZERO scenarios where the Astros add payroll to fix 1B.

Roxoff likes this.
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don't know how much longer Houston can keep running Abreu out there. Honestly. Anyone at all would be an upgrade at this point.

Stephen66 and everyday eddie like this.
  12. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

2.5 of these things can be true.. +/- .5 (sampling error)
    2.5 of these things can't have proven results... +/- .5 (sampling error)

...either way, its a no-win scenario.

13. Radricky

Radricky Member

14. lnchan

At least Yuli can still play defense better than Chris Carter.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

In Loperfido we trust.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was Abreu's biggest defender last season, but this is getting nuts. Maybe he can't recover from this. He looked good in Spring training before his injury, so maybe he's injured again? I do not know. Bregman still thinks that hitting for half the season is enough to get a big contract.

I think it's time to bring up Loperfido. At least we know he can swing the bat fast enough to get past the outfield sometimes.

Stephen66 and Radricky like this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

And people call me a pessimist.

19. Radricky

Radricky Member

I want to believe

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

HUGE difference between a 34 year old and a 37 year old. That’s typically the difference between the end of a guys prime and his retirement.