1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by giddyup, Sep 13, 2004.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

What's the story behind all these rookie receivers wearing the number 11?

Roy Williams. Larry Fitzgerald. Kellen Winslow, Jr. Even some unknown guy on the Titans is wearing it.

Others? Why?

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The NFL now allows receivers to have numbers in the "teens". It used to be a WR could have a number in the 80's only I believe. Starting this year, they can have any number in the 80's or one between 11-19.

Just a guess, but given how so many receivers feel they are "number one", then double ones (#11) is the best thing they could get given the NFL requirements. Larry Fitzgerald for example wore the #1 in college I believe.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Clutch,

I don't think thats new this season. Keyshawn Johnson has worn #19 since he was a rookie.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point codell. I think he was the exception to the rule though. Here's an article a little over a year ago that briefly discusses it. I think it's accurate, but not 100% on it:

http://www.jaguars.com/Story/2953.asp

Pierre from Jacksonville: This isn't a Jaguars question; it's just something I've always wondered. How can Keyshawn Johnson wear number 19 and every other wide receiver in the NFL has to wear a number in the 80's?

Senior Editor Vic Ketchman: When Keyshawn Johnson was drafted by the Jets in 1996, he requested and was issued number 19. Immediately, a lot of veteran wide receivers in the league wanted to go back to their college numbers that were not in the 80's. The league realized it had a problem. Its solution was that it denied any player already in the league from switching his number out of the 80's, grandfathered Johnson's request for number 19, then put a rule into effect that required any wide receiver to wear a number in the 80's, if one was available. If a number in the 80's was not available, then he would be permitted to wear a number between 10-19. J.J. Stokes would like to wear number 18, but the Jaguars are not likely to be out of numbers in the 80's.

5. codell

So it that saying that only Johnson is allowed to wear a # outside of the 80s, or that a receiver can wear a # outside of the 80s, but only the # 19???

:confused:

6. giddyup

So are all these new #11s just a coincidence or is there some plan?

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think they all wore numbers that were less than 11 in college, so they probably just wanted to get as close to those numbers as possible.

9. codell

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Winslow just wore 11 for preseason. He has #80 now.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah ... he was working to buy the number (his Dad's number) from one of his teammates, which he finally did.

13. giddyup

He was my favorite non-Oiler of all-time. Damn, he was born in Houston, too!

I remember seeing the Chargers play the Oilers in a rain-soaked Jeppesen Stadium circa 1963. Go Bambi go!

14. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

What about those that wore 00?