1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 6, 2004.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The playcalling was too methodical IMO. It's like the AI on old Madden games. If you run and run well, keep on running and don't even bother developing a passing game. I mean we have a pretty good receiving corps in 'Dre/Gaffney/Bradford and not to mention out TEs are more than capable receivers themselves.

I liked how the Texans established a running game early and Davis had a good game except for the 1 crucial (that first one is kinda hard to put the blame on him when he had both arms/hands on the ball tucked away) fumble.

BUT c'mon...we have good receivers and the 2ndary of the Chargers ain't exactly the Pats 2ndary.

I still think that Dom Capers and Chris Palmer needs to go and we need someone that can bring in a colts O-system or a rams O-system.

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

There were some positives in today's game:

- Passes to D. Davis coming out of the backfield
    - Gaffney had some nice catches
    - O. Line held up well
    - Gary Walker was solid

Of course a lot of negatives too:

- Turnovers
    - NO pass rush
    - Vertical passing game (over 15 yards) is non-existent
    - Defensive backs struggled (especially Robinson and Coleman). Where was the safety help?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The O-line, although better, is still nowhere near where it needs to be to implement a system like that. Carr didn't have much time on plays where he actually tried to sit in the pocket, and there were still far too many holding calls (indicating that he would have been pressured even more).

I acutally think the offense executed a great game-plan today... other than the struggles in the red-zone, they moved the ball with ease (250+yards in the 1st half). It was the turnovers that eventually stopped them dead in their tracks.... they were well on their way to scoring 30+ points. You take that every time.

The side of the ball that deserves ALL the blame today is the DEFENSE! There's no excuse for letting any team score 27 points on you at home, let alone the San Diego freaking Chargers... especially when this healthy defense is supposedly a "strength" of this team.

If this team has no defense, forget about winning many games this year... there are plenty of teams out there with MUCH better offenses than San Diego.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Texans absolutely need to get to the qb. They cannot let qb's like Drew Brees gain confidence as the game goes on. They will need to get to Harrington early and often. He will be w/o Charlie Rogers (broken collarbone, again), leaving him with rookies Kevin Jones and Roy Williams. A road win would go a long way in helping this team, especially going into week 3 @ KC.

Also, please stop running the fake end around. Texas did it 15-20 times against Arkansas on Sat. After about 5 times of running it the exact same way, the defense tends to catch on. The Texans ran it quite a few times today. If you are going to do it, at least give it to the WR one time to throw the defense off.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i have to agree about the D. they 'contained' Tomlinson but fail to remember the other 10 guys out there. Our 2ndary was worthless today. Dunta Robinson had a bad game but it's sorta excuseable since he's a rook but Brown and the others.....no excuses.

6. mulletman

mulletman Member

the texans entire offensive playbook:

1. handoff to davis, run right
    2. handoff to davis, run left
    3. carr bootleg to right, two tight ends roll with him
    4. place d davis at wr and throw WR screen
    5. screen pass to RB

:(

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Is it Vangio or Capers fault?

I know DD fumbled twice and Carr threw 2 interceptions, but the defense was horrible versues the CHARGERS. No pass rush and weak 3rd down coverage. I though Capers was this defensive guru. Fangio sucked in Indy, and sucks right now. Who's fault is it?

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

9. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Turnover
    Turnover
    turnover

In the simplest terms, if you turn the ball over 4 times and the other team does not, you are most likley going to lose.

I would not blame the defense since they were put in a bad position all day long.

10. World B Free

World B Free Member

Positives ?

I know it is tough to think about...but there were some actual positives in the game vs the Chargers......

D Davis' fumbles were inexcusable......even he says so......but one of Carr's INT's was actually just a tipped pass that was intercepted, not too terribly bad..........

We actually have some semblence of an offense now....... if you think back over the last 2 seasons it was always so scrappy...... now it looks as if we atleast have a lot of talent on that side of the ball.......... Davis was running well........ Johnson caught some passes and Carr completed 77% of his passes..........

now the Defense.....

man this was pretty bad,,, but.........

Babin looked quick and like he could be a good player and Wong looked more effective on the right side..........

Dunta did pretty well in his first game......had the 1 pass route he fell down on, the rest wasn't so bad.........

I am a diehard fan....... and I won't lie it was hard to watch, but gotta find something good in it all...... GO TEXANS

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I've never been so dissapointed by a football game. That was a huge letdown by the Texans. I believed so much that they would win with ease, but they gave the damn game away.:mad: This game just really made the 3 1/2 hour drive from Dallas well worth it.:rolleyes:

Random Thoughts:
    Double D is looking good, he'll definitely have to pick it up a little, though, if he's to make good on that bold 2000 yard prediction (for this season alone).
    The playcalling does suck, stupid Palmer.
    Andre is the man! I kept thinking of the article in the paper this summer that covered how much he practiced his catching. I don't recall him dropping the ball today.
    Pass rush is pathetic, but we all knew that already.
    Glad to see Carr untouched for the most part. Like someone else previously said, the cons about him may not be so much his fault but the circumstances, i.e. not used to have much time because of a weak line, limited offensive playcalling, etc.

SO CLASSIC! One of the funniest things I've read on the BBS for a long time.

Hey now, hold up. That's just cruel. No one deserves that kind of criticism, NO ONE! Matt Stevens could possibly be the most worthless guy to have played on an NFL team. There are long snappers that do more good things for the team then him. At least Eric Brown has a reputation of toughing it out by playing through injury and being one of the league's hardest hitters.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This one hurt....

2 Carr Interceptions....2 Davis fumbles lost.....ugh.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Tough loss. But the titans showed some explosiveness and that bolds well.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

oops, I meant Texans.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Turnovers...can't win with as many turnovers as we had...

I think next week is a win...

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

This team is staring 6-10 in the face...I don't see any silver lining in losing to arguably, the worst team in football on opening day in your own stadium.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have to agree. You can blame it on the turnovers all you want, but giving up 27 points to the Chargers while holding LT relatively in check doesn't bode well for the rest of the season.