1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Maybe? He’d have to go 1

kpdark likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well that's an overreaction, pending a larger sample size.

But it does show why it pays to not be too quick with this "redraft" stuff. Things are still shaking out.

saleem, BallSoHarden and roslolian like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh you still can make arguments for Sengun, Barnes and Cade also. The thing Rocket fans should only care about is we have two players that can arguably go number one in 2021 and that is a home run draft.

Still way too early to tell who is the definitive best player in that draft class is.

NewAge, Dobbizzle, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  4. kpdark

kpdark Member

5. fchowd0311

Also people have to keep in mind that for casual national media takes, Jalen Green has an advantage when he breaks out to be prematurely crowned because his play style is even when inefficient one of the most electric in the league. His highlights just pop.

You hear a lot of opposing team announcers say stuff like "it only takes a few seconds of watching Green to realize why he was drafted number 2". Green is easily the most "electric" player of the 2021 draft. Casuals love electric flashy guards. I mean I do to but it's just the most popular play style.

6. fchowd0311

Steven Adam stans joining in on the JG hype is something I would never predict at the start of the season but I love it!

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

This wasn't about him playing poorly; nobody with eyes thought he was playing well until recently (although I would argue there were occasional glimpses even during his bad games). The discussion I was replying to was about people who wanted him traded for peanuts, or just cut from the team (yes, there were a few). Lots of posters said he didn't even have NBA-level ability.

EDIT: Just read @BigMaloe's post above. Well said!

8. kpdark

kpdark Member

xaos likes this.
  9. kpdark

kpdark Member

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

do you think they will put Jalen back in the USA player pool for the Olympics?

Bo6, Carpe82 and kpdark like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I seriously cannot believe this is the same person we saw the first 60 games.

Even when things aren't happening for him, he keeps attacking until they do. It's night and day from the vanishing act we would see if shots weren't falling.

13. kpdark

kpdark Member

14. kpdark

kpdark Member

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hopefully, the best is yet to come. Jalen is quite skinny even right now. He can gain 10 lbs of muscle in the upcoming off season. This shouldn't come at the expense of his athleticism and explosiveness.

Carpe82 likes this.
  16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I do find it pretty hilarious that less than a month ago people were telling me to "stop bringing up irrelevant stats" from Green's first 2 seasons and how he'd shown more superstar flashes than everybody else on the team including Sengun. I was told he was a guaranteed bust. I was told I was delusional and Jalen being one of the most effective young scorers in history was a lie and he just wasn't at the same level of Sengun.

Good job I figured out Clutchfans as a whole knows nothing about basketball and mostly just parrots Morey lines about efficiency as if that's the only story worth telling. :rolleyes:

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

When your efficiency is bottom 5 in the league as a score-first shooting guard, it kind of is the only story worth telling until the issue is corrected. That kind of thing on high-volume shooting cripples your entire offense.

Which is why it's so great that he seems to have fixed the problem.

18. Summer Song Giver

I had a 'trade JG post' about a month ago and I would like to apologize for it.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Rockets are 16-6 in games where Jalen is above league average in TS%. That’s winning ~73%

Rockets are 22-29 in games where Jalen is below league average in TS%. That’s winning ~43%.

Don’t want to boil it down to JUST that, but it’s pretty obvious when a volume scorer scores efficiently it helps your team a lot when it comes to winning games.

harold bingo, BigMaloe and OremLK like this.