1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McMahon thinks Sengun or Green could be traded "for a star"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

I don’t believe that at all.

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

https://stathead.com/basketball/ver...layer_id2=sengual01&p2yrfrom=2024&p2yrto=2024

3. StroudAndYorDaddy

tim macmahom is pretty well connected to patrick feritita

4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Goon was on track to possibly win MIP this season.

JG is currently one of the hottest players in the L.

One or maybe even both gonna get traded??? :eek:

That's worth many MANY laughs.

Thanks Tim!

Ramo$e, MadMax94$ and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Which is why when he takes a long pause and vehemently states, “IM JUST GUESSING…” we should pay attention.

McMahon gives 100 Rockets takes a year; how many times have you heard him with that strong of a preface/disclaimer?

Low basketball intellect. Confirmation bias. And a desperate need to feel right. That’s 80% of first page threads today.

Can’t wait for the game to start y’all (colloquially) are insufferable.

6. invocux

invocux Member

I wouldn't trade sengun for anyone over 26 years old i guess. He should be in his prime or near his prime but the thing is we don't have any options out there. Embiid is old and injury prone at this point. Reckon he will be out of the league in 3-4 years those knees are shot. We can't get Giannis, SGA, Jokic, Doncic or Tatum here. These guys are not realistic targets. Durant will be 36 next season. Kawhi will be 33 and as much as he's one of my favourite players ever, no. Honestly the best guy we could get with Sengun and picks is Mitchell. Maybe Markkanen and they are not worth the effort.

Ramo$e and Shark44 like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Same owner that pushed a trade for Westbrook that ended up unraveling the front office. Everything is on the table when impatience hits.

If we do a Sengun and Cam for Embiid trade I'll be sick for another 5 years.

8. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This seems like a lot of nothing. He said “if a star becomes available.”

Neither guy should be untouchable. Sengun has shown ability to be consistently good but he has flaws and it’s not impossible he could plateau as a top 35-40 player in the league. This stretch from Jalen is insane but his overall track record isn’t good.

If you can turn either guy plus some Brooklyn picks into a consistent top 15 player in their mid 20s who also fits well with all our other prospects then of course you do it. That trade probably won’t be out there, though.

Y2JT and Corpusfan like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stone needs to build a proper roster around Green

xaos likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

My statement earlier was a general reply because the thread's mood up until then made it seem like he was just a nonsensical talking head like a Skip Bayless, which he's not. Even if lot of people here don't like him because of his past Mavs association.

It's a non-news story because the 'vultures' he referred was outside non-Rockets people in not knowing about the fit. Yes they didn't talk about the contract stuff; because it never advanced to that point. And if they did, it'd likely be what this BBS have said at the beginning of the season and what Bima and others have echoed which is that we (Stone) still have one more year to make that decision. Doesn't mean Stone can't make moves this summer, just that he has that extra year.

On the hypothetical itself, which the aggregators made it the case, is if I'm Tilman, and an outside GM talks, I want my GM to always listen before weeding anything out. It's the GM's job to do so. People are offended because it's a possibility that their favorite young core are on the block or it's against their idea of how a team should be built. All this to me, is that Green and Sengun's trade value have gone up, because outside of the org, other FO's are not sure how Green/Sengun might fit, which can you blame them, because regardless which side you are on the fit issue, it's dominated the conversation here (in this bbs), RocketsWatch (yesterday's Clutch's session), Locked on Rockets (the most recent episode), and elsewhere.

#90 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Philip K. Nick and dream2clips like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Getting shooters around our best player is important. Alp is the cornerstone, Jalen keeps playing like this and we have our 1/2.
    The rest need to fit around those two.
    There is no other correct opinion

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry but I dont see any similarities between Jalen's game and PG's game. I was expecting you to say they fit together superbly but I guess you are here just to troll...

13. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I think McMahon is absolutely right. Rockets can pay one of these guys and pay for a superstar. They can't pay both near max extensions and get a super star. All the indications since 2021, whether Sengun fans, which includes me, like it or not, shows Rockets will move him and not Jalen...if not this year, next year...If they dont extend his contract this year, thats the most likely outcome, in my humble opinion.

...and let me add this...It would take nothing away from Sengun...he will still be a 25-10-10 guy in this league!

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The only star I think might be available is Trae Young.

In any case, Jalen has played himself out of getting traded.

Now, other building blocks might be less safe, along with Adams' expiring and Van Vleet's potential expiring (team option for third year).

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think any of these “insiders” have any idea what they’re talking about.
    Ime isn’t trading his best player, Alp is here.

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why are people caring so much about this when he explicitly says he's just guessing? McMahon is pretty clear that this isn't what the rockets are thinking, this is just what he is predicting to happen.

17. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I think Ime understands the business side of NBA better than any one of us!

xaos likes this.
  18. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I dont think anybody cares...or at least I dont but what he says makes business sense for Rockets! I respect your opinion as much as McMahon's...What do you think, Harold?

19. TimDuncanDonaut

When Green was playing badly. People criticized, which they're well within their rights to. If the player starts to play well, give that player praise.

When he played bad, few of us said (outside of just trade him), Stone should have tried to lock Green into a team friendly deal, that was potential leverage the org had. That's gone now, with the new glow-up.

GM and timings and knowing when he could have struck.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why not, hell the Timberwolves will have 3 guys on max extensions next season. Plenty of teams have done it, the hard part is acquiring 3 guys worthy of it. If a 3rd star wants to theoretically join you can find ways to make it happen with trades.

Neither of these guys have proven worthy of untouchable status, but the list of players I would trade them for is pretty short.

everyday eddie likes this.