1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean yes it's more impressive and is skill that is important in tight games against playoff teams where offenses usually turn into iso mode due to switching but at the same time for Green and Sengun to work he also has to be consistent in the open catch and shoot looks Sengun provides with his gravity and vise versa.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely something he needs work on. Same with Alp. Just saying one seems harder to learn than the other

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. It should also be pointed out that Alperen was forced to play with pre-ASB Jalen Green. :eek: All the other starters should get medals and bonus pay.

Udoka, Alperen, and Fred deserve credit for ramping up Jalen Green's basketball IQ this quickly. Post ASB he has been absolutely fantastic. Thank you basketball gods. Suck it Evan Mobley lovers... :D (JK)

kspires999 and clutchdabear like this.
  4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I think there is some good discussion material to how the rockets game were effected by sengun's injury, beyond the shallow we are playing faster and everyone thrived because of that. Let me go point by point.

- There are many posts on how the pace hasn't changed since Sengun left, which I initially argued too. I realized there is a catch to it though. Although the rockets are playing at the same pace, the league pace has gone down significantly lately(I have no idea why). The fastest team in the last 8 games is Lakers and they would have been the 10th fastest team in february with the same pace. So it looks like we are probably the team that pushes the pace. On average it would require a higher pace from us to keep the same number. And also Cam is missing, which is another high pace player.
    So my conclusion is that we are playing at a higher pace, which meets the eye test as well.

However I don't think pace is the factor that drives the recent success. Sengun's post-ups or pnr setup with fvv slows the game down but they create very good shots. Sengun doesn't slow the fast breaks so there is really no reason to think that pace without Sengun brought better results.

- The main benefactor of Sengun's absence is Amen. He got more minutes and room to operate, and I think that is worth discussing. How much of Amen's success is due to more spacing leaving Amen room to operate? With this thinking it seems more important for Alperen to develop a 3pt, or an automatic midrange shot like jokic. I think it becomes much easier for defenses to close passing angles or go to help defense when Sengun is closer to the basket and the defenses can leave some space to defend him. Moving forward, I think playing Amen with this impact is a must but the question remains how, when sengun returns and it will be the main challenge that faces udoka and sengun. I'd like to see the Sengun, fvv, bari, green, thompson lineup.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

Lets not also forget that before Jalen's amazing resurgence he he was like a lead weight dragging everyone down. His turnaround, which started before Sengun's injury, has been truly amazing. He went from being a super net negative to a super net positive. If he had played at even half this level for most of this season the team would be top 4-5 in the West. Sengun playing with this current confident version of Jalen will be a terror. If Jalen keeps this up and Sengun comes back and picks up where he left off ,we might make some noise in the playoffs this year. This team is very young and has a chance to be a Warriors level dynasty.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perhaps Sengun could be this team’s Ginobli? For one full season in 2 years imagine a bench with

Bench:
    Van Vleet
    Reed Sheppard
    Dillon Brooks
    Sengun
    Adams

Starters:
    Amen
    Green
    Cam
    Eason
    Jabari

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nope.

clutchdabear, clos4life and cml750 like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Nice reasoning.

If you are not able to use your own thoughts maybe you have a Twitter response about Sengun, akin to why small children should continue to be killed by Israel?

Joking joking nope is enough for me!

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

1) Keep D&D out of GARM.
    2) Makes no sense to have the two best players come off the bench.

clos4life and cml750 like this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No debate let the kids die

12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

For one, Sengun will be too expensive to make him ginobili.

and regardless your starting five takes out not just Sengun, but also fvv without any replacement. You take two players sengun&fvv with both creating, playmaking and scoring capacity and replace them with two players caM&eason with no creation, vision or passing and in particular one is a complete tunnel vision player. And your center bari can hardly put the ball on the floor to create anything. Meanwhile you take amen from the role he is thriving now, I am assuming because somebody got to do fvv’s job.

edit: when I answer your post it becomes more clear to me that the main structural factor in the recent success is amen’s increased production and the question is how can we keep it when Sengun is back? Not how can we keep Sengun out? Neither by themselves will be enough for a playoff run.

#13552 AlperenSengun, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    AroundTheWorld and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m mostly just messing around. In regards to Amen though with the start of the 2025/2026 season (in which this post refers to) is most certainly not referring to the “role he is now” it is to the role he will be playing in then. Which will be with the ball in his hands more often. I’m not saying every play but he will initiate the offense to some extent.

14. invocux

invocux Member

15. invocux

invocux Member

I legit think that this fanbase do not deserve a player of his caliber. Most of you deserve watching Silas ball until the day you die for so quickly turning your back on your best player of the last 3 years. Any team would kill to have a guy like him but we don't.

Wood to Bruno, Lopez to Jabari and Landale, Claxton to Capela our best player loses every single versus that involves a 6'9+ guy. Just be as tall as him these idiots will pick you over sengun. Evey year he has to prove to them that he is a good basketball player. He can't even have a bad preseason game because they will go after him. We truly deserve the worst for not publicly humiliating and then banishing these people but i fear that karma will get us if we continue letting these people speak.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have been following the Rockets for about 3 decades now. I'll be a fan of the team with my own good health willing after Jalen Green and Sengun are long gone.

Good health for you can continue making crap posts about the Rockets and anything else bouncing around in that huge brain of yours for years to come. I can safely speak for all of Clutchfans and say we greatly appreciate your "legit" thoughts and musings though!!

17. invocux

invocux Member

Been a fan for 30 years and still think our best player should come off the bench like Ginobili did. This forum is cesspit even worse than Twitter at certain aspects. This kid is 3pt shooting leap away from being in MVP conversations and we should sit him for who? Jabari. A guy who doesn't have an impressive post game and definitely isn't a great defender. Why? To play just a little fast and win games that we already win with Sengun starting at 5. What's going to happen in the playoffs when defenses are set and it's easy to stop just 1 guy? Jalen? Teams will have enough time to prepare game plans to stop him, they are going to trap him, disrupt his game then who else will step up? Tari? Amen? 5'8 Fred? Jabari a guy who can't create his own shot? Brooks? Cam might be but it's too early to tell how good he will be. Sengun is clutch and we will need him more than anyone in the close games in the playoffs. Especially in the 3rd-4th quarters. He will get better at navigating double teams. Create so many open looks for others to just make their shots BUUUUT we should absolutely give up on him to play a little faster in regular season. 30 years of watching basketball and this is you. How sad man.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Again you do not know how to use the invention we call paragraphs so I’m not reading all that. You can go a few posts up though and read where I said I am messing around. I don’t want you to have a stroke over a basketball team that I have no control over.

19. invocux

invocux Member

Well if you are going to quote my post to tell me that you didn't read it then i don't want to interact with you anymore so i'm going to have to ignore you forever. Bye. Oh and Maradona and Messi will always be better than Pele btw.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]