1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major bridge collapse in Baltimore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Mar 26, 2024.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has there been any reporting yet on what went actually went wrong with the ship?

TexasTofu likes this.
  2. CrazyJoeDavola

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That bridge looks old and sketchy -- it's hard to put your truss in something like that.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Idiot.

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KingCheetah and Sajan like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Mrs. Potter: What is all that stuff?

Fred Garvin: Oh, uh.. that’s my rather elaborate network of trusses. I will need your help with a couple of these. I got the old hernia truss here.. and I got a spleen truss, it opens up with a couple of snaps here in the back..

7. KingCheetah

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Hazmat can take I695. This is a pain for traffic but not an utter disaster. I drove to DC and back from NJ through Bmore yesterday and there was no Bmore traffic - and it was holiday Friday!!! Good for us cars....but yeah for trucks, they do have to go north and around instead of shooting directly across the FSK bridge. Or maybe people were just avoiding I95 because of fear of Bmore...but l doubt it. Amtrak was fully sold out which might have helped a wee bit.

Think of it like the Loop losing the leg between I45 to 610E, and the port is where the Budweiser Brewery is, so trucks coming from the south would have to go counterclockwise around the loop and approach the I10E from the north. A pain in the ass for them. However, I-10, I-45, 59 etc are free of those trucks so its business as usual for us cars, busses, etc.

The warehouses used by the shipyards are off I95 so shouldnt be an issue using them but they wont be getting product from Sea Girt for a bit.

The big issue is that that wreck is blocking a port that ranges from 8th-10th largest in the US, and cruises outta Bmore are cancelled. The good news is that in most cases NY, Philly Paulsboro, Norfolk VA can take a lot and they can move product via rail. But ~30 ships are trapped there. No bueno.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People generally don’t drive that segment of 695 anyway. I think 695 has close to a half a million drivers daily but the bridge would only see 30,000 drivers daily.

10. KingCheetah

The only certainty after this accident is you cant dilever using the FSK bridge ever again.

Ubiquitin likes this.