1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to trade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think that’s allowed here. Reported.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is why it is so difficult to assess Jalen.

People who said that he wasn't NBA material and would be out of the league in a couple of years were clearly wrong. Non-NBA materials don't play like this in the NBA for more than a game or two, let alone more than a month.

The question is not whether he has what it takes to be a star. He clearly does. The question is will he consistently sustain at this level for a whole season? This remains to be seen. I don't think he has earned a max extension this offseason even if he keeps this up till the end of the season. He needs to show the world he can do it long term.

Zen Tabak and duluth111222 like this.
  3. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Sell high - trade now.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think it will be interesting to see how Jalen finishes the season, still plenty of tough games left. I don't really expect him to be this hot for the rest of the games, but I don't want him to slump either. If he can come down to earth to like 56-57% TS while still playing defense, rebounding and limiting turnovers I will be more optimistic going into next season.

I was looking at the efficiency numbers of Jalen by month it's ridiculous. He was shooting below 49% and 42% in December and Feb. But then he was shooting 58% in November and a scorching 63% in March.

I think at this point we all know Jalen can hit all nba level highs, but it's more about leveling out the crazy slumps as well. I was looking at stats of other shooting guards, no one really swings as high Jalen, but then no one also swings as low as him.

Y2JT likes this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think he needs to sustain this at all, it's unrealistic even for MVP's. But it's more about maintaining a good baseline level of play, and not have it go so up and down. like 3-4 game shooting slumps are fine, 2 month shooting slumps not so fine.

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

For me, if we’re trading Jalen, it means we’ll build around Sengun. So we need a guard/wing player back. So

Luca
    SGA
    Halliburton

BallSoHarden likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think it was out of the realm of possibilities if the Rockets hired another mediocre coach that Green would be at least questioned more.......

So yup he was pretty close to being in danger but not out of the league though. That one was a bit extreme.

Easy likes this.
  8. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Maybe not but if he entered RFA this offseason somebody would definitely offer him the rookie max extension and we wouldn't really have a choice but to match it.

All that matters is whether one team would be willing to make the offer, that sets his valuation regardless of what we think.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Good luck on not offering a max, someone will offer it if we don't. I'm not sure y'all really understand how good Jalen is, it's a bit disconcerting seeing so many fans be so clueless on his achievements so far and where they sit in NBA history...

jcmoon and Zen Tabak like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is a restricted free agent it's all good. if somebody offers him the max then that's his market value you match that and keep him.

I'm a Jalen fan but we shouldn't extend him unless he accepts a contract discount. You don't want it to be a Wiggins situation where you pay him the max and he just disappears again.

The nice thing about having a lawyer for a GM is he knows the implications of these contracts that's why we have a lot of unguaranteed deals like with Jock and FVV.

#871 roslolian, Mar 28, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wait, I'm still confused when he will enter RFA. I thought it'd be after next season. If that's the case, why rush extending him? We have one more season for him to prove himself. If he keeps up the performance, then there should be no hesitation in matching any offer.

Am I missing something?

roslolian and Ancient Moabite like this.
  13. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

Yea sell high … hasn’t worked on his pull out game ! lol

burlesk likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

You aren't missing anything. There is indeed no rush that's why if you look at FVV contract unguaranteed deal starts after next year as well. Jeff Green also only signed for 2 yrs and will expire after next year as well.

IMO you only extend Green if he takes a sizable discount now.

Easy likes this.
  15. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

You're correct, I'm just speaking in reference to the comment that Jalen hasn't earned a max extension yet.

I have a very hard time believing none of the 30 front offices in this league would disagree. Somebody is going to offer him the max if he reaches RFA.

I'm not saying we should go ahead and give him the max this offseason.

Easy likes this.
  16. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Other teams will only offer him a max if he plays like a max player next year. And the Rox can match that regardless. It's a non issue.

It doesn't matter whether JG has earned a max contract or not, he will still need to prove he can play at this level for 1 yr cuz that's only when he will get offers from teams.