1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If you have a team that is winning more without their top player, then what is the point in keeping said player?

rocketchamp likes this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you can have two option 1s. Now what could happen, is the offense start through Sengun and end with Jalen. However, my only problem with that is Sengun likes to operate in the low post....AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM!

If you go back and look at all of my post, which I know you do, I have been begging for Alpi to shoot the 3pt shot. If he can do that and start the offense out further, thats going to allow them to mix better. Similar to Jokic and Murray

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

We heard all year ppl tell us Jalen is a bust & needed to get traded, that Stone should get fired for drafting him. Now it's wait and see? I think it's clear Senguns our biggest trade asset

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, you’re not important enough to look at your posts. Definitely not intelligent enough to pay attention to. You just say some of the dumbest things imaginable.
    Alp does what is asked, he doesn’t even lead the team in FGA. But he’s also our most efficient scorer too

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Has Sengun been watching tape on the Rockets new offense?

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you don't think Sengun and Jalen Green can work together, then I think you're wildly underestimating Ime Udoka. Besides, we've essentially already seen it work in Denver with Jokic and Murray and Sacramento with Sabonis and Fox.

topfive, CKent, persian hoopa and 4 others like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This is a weird take.

We have two very good players on our team that have shown at different point of the season that they can carry us to wins and yet we are ****ing debating which one we should keep lol.

We can't be worried about Eason's, Whitmore's, Thompson's, or Smith's contract when the two players that have been the biggest reason for us having this many wins are up for their contract extensions. We will worry about the other's later, for now let's focus on the upcoming eligible players. We can't keep them all, but we sure as hell don't need to start trading the players that have led us to win lol. Hopefully Jalen can continue this consistency and we won't have to worry about his ups and downs anymore.

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is doubting the archetypes can play together. They're suggesting Jalen Green specifically cannot play like this when a low post center with no range is on the court.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think that's also selling Sengun short. I feel optimistic about his 3 point shot coming around.

CKent, AroundTheWorld, OremLK and 2 others like this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's actually insane. None of these people are Rockets fans. Stop trying to ****ing trade the star players ffs, we've only just ****ing got them!

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Well, you are who you are and there's no getting around that. Tell Trump hello.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Huh?
    You throw some wild stuff out there at times. Where does Trump come into anything?

I guess, tell Biden/Kamala hello? ****ing weird ass thing to say.

tagedieb and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It really blows my mind. I want to win a championship and you can't do that by trading away your best players. If Jalen has really turned the corner, then we are on to something here. What Jalen is doing is superstar ****. It's not even just a hot streak, but it's actual superstar **** that we always believed he had in him. Alperen has done superstar **** all season long. We have a core. We suffered three years to have a core, yet people are focused on who we should keep. I'd like to believe they are trolling, but this is serious **** for them. They must not be Rockets fans like you said and just care about individual players. I wish they would GTFO.

clutchdabear, Dobbizzle and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sample size is far too small to draw any conclusions like that

cmoak1982 and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

The craziest thing for me is that they're clearly not enjoying seeing one of the players do well because it's not their guy leading the team right now. It must absolutely suck not being able to enjoy this, because I've been giddy with excitement seeing Green do what I always knew he could. We got to see Sengun bloom for the first part of the season and now we're seeing Green. This is what we put up with KPJ and Silas to get to, and these fake ass "fans" are ruining it for everybody. Themselves most of all.

clutchdabear, ElPigto and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. keeez

keeez Member

[​IMG]

This fanbase is so traumatized from the past 3 years that they think something must be wrong when we go on a win streak like this.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jalen Green breaks out and we still can't have fun because now people are like "trade the other star level 21 year old talent now".

You find a way to make it work. The adjustments needed aren't even that drastic. The main thing Alpi probably needs to change up to make it work is simply Alpi not hesitating on his outside shot. Don't worry about scoring efficiency. If defender sag off shoot. It's not like he's a baseline bad shooter. He's got a sound form and is a good ft shooter.

That's essentially what Jalen did. Defenders sag off or play under the screen and he just doesn't hesitate and let's it fly. Eventually you'll get consistent at it and now defenders can't play under or play drop coverage all the time on you.

18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I genuinely think the only other main adjustment is not running the ball up himself and just distributing it from our half as rapid as possible to continue to leverage our pace. Sounds to me like an instant fix adjustment, he's not exactly somebody who struggles with passing lol. Let's be honest, if we can develop that as a course of action he can likely hit any of our pace players in stride leaking out, he's our best passer.

BaselineFade, Y2JT and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Would be cool if he could pass like Kevin Love from full court!

Y2JT and Dobbizzle like this.
  20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I have no doubt in my mind that Sengun would be one of the best full court passers in the league, and between Jalen, Amen and Cam, he'd have one of the best and most athletic set of passing targets...