1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Apology Form

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamR, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I'm no cap expert, but let's try to break this down a bit.

A rookie can sign a max extension worth 25% of the cap. You can backload the contract, but let's keep it at 25% for simplicity sake.

First, let's say we sign Green and Sengun to max extensions this offseason. Those extensions kick in after we can decline FVV's third year. From what I can tell, we can technically sign Green and Sengun to max extensions and keep FVV while staying under the luxury tax, but it would be really, really right.

In my opinion, Amen has shown the most promise after Green and Sengun. Let's say he gets the max -- it would kick in after Brooks' money comes off the books. The same, obviously, would apply to Cam if he blew up. Our sheet is actually setup pretty well for extensions. Personally, I like the idea of building around Green, Sengun, and Amen.

So, realistically, we have room for three max rookie contracts (70 - 75% of the cap) AND probably one large, non-max contract. So, the big question not what to do with Sengun and Amen, but rather what to do with Smith. Do you give him a large, non-max contract, knowing we'll probably lose one of Cam and Amen if you do? Not to mention Eason's potential extension. These are valid concerns, but we won't have to worry about them for a while.

If I messed up anything, please let me know.

2. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

That's cute...missing 1 player...right. I already explained my reasoning behind what I think of the Sengun situation to someone who made that same arguement. I dont care enough to switch my handle I dont have thousands of post like some of y'all "weirdos" that spend all day here.

3. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Here is why MANY people need to apologize to Jalen despite him having a very rough offensive season most of the year.

The reason why he has been so good recently is not necessarily because he is making more shots - it's because he is making more shots AND he is playing better defense and being more attentive on the details - and all of that has been improving all year....even while his offensive game was lacking shot making. His effort as a defender, going after rebounds, fighting for the ball, fighting through screens, making better reads - ALL OF THAT has been improving all year and I have been reminding people about that all year but a lot of people here can't see past the makes and misses on the offensive end.

The reality is - if Jalen hadn't improved his defense, rebounding, making reads, we still don't win that game last night even if Jalen still has an efficient 37 pt night because the difference wasn't the points he scored, but was the points he prevented(and a steal and block late in the game) and the points he got others involved with(the kick out for Jabari's 3 was critical).

....and that is why you can't sit here and say "he sucked on offense earlier this year and therefore I don't have to apologize" because you missed all the places where he WAS raising his game and learning all year and the knuckleheads in this board were only watching part of his game.

6. xaos

xaos Member

This run the Rockets are on reminds me A LOT of the Pheonix Suns went on 2019-2020, the year before they made the finals. They finished the season on a 8 game winning streak and had a chance at the playoffs, after 3 seaspns of low 20-win seasons. Once this happened people started to switch their opinion of Booker from an empty stats guy to a legit force. Green is gaining that same momentum as the team is winning and inching towards the play in.

Next season finals? :p:eek::D

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly. These clowns were just boxscore watching (led by bobby lmao) with zero clue or understanding what is happening in the game. That's why I said multiple times Jalen would get unfairly blamed for losses even if he was playing great despite his low efficiency.

Stephen_A likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree the parallels are there the diff is we got 2 young "Bookers" in Alpi and JG and our "cP3" are also in their prime in their late 20s instead of washed.

xaos likes this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

Agreed... I'd absolutely add Amen in there with Green/Sengun in terms of young guys ready to explode over the next few years. Jabari is more of the Mikal Bridges type, which is amazing and I knew that going into the draft (6'11 Klay) and still wanted him. There's a lot of reason to be super excited about this young core. After this draft we'll only owe two picks from the CP3 trade and the Nets picks are projected to completely offset them (+ more).

I really am glad we didn't rush into anything or force anything this trade deadline. I'd rank our young core very high amongst other young cores. Will be a challenge for Stone to figure out how to keep the right pieces...

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I honestly think Fertita will do the right thing and open the checkbook when the time comes. He is already the 7th richest owner and both him and his son are crazy about bball.

Ancient Moabite and xaos like this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lol it was evident the talent was there. The skillset was there. The flashes of brilliance were there. Many fans were impatient not understanding growth and development and somehow creating a 3rd year leap myth that had to start at day 1 of the regular season. They even said a rookie SF that doesn’t know how to pass or play defense is better. They questioned his work ethic. They said he hasn’t grown or matured despite the fact that he is making the right reads on offense, passing better, defending better. They made fun of his alleged sexuality. His black nails calling him effeminate. Called him weak.

And a lot of it stems from judgement and hate instead of support and understanding. It ain’t love. It never was. Growth and development is different for every player. Lol it’s been hilarious

#231 Stephen_A, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Ancient Moabite likes this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Keep in mind The “bad offense” earlier in the year was caused by multiple factors. Offense was dominated by FVV Sengun high screen and roll/touches. Green wasn’t as aggressive and did not play thru contact as he does now. The driving lanes were closed off as teams stacked the paint against Rockets since their offensive set was heavy dose of FVV touches in high screens or elbow handoffs with Jalen as a 3rd option.

Ancient Moabite and glimmertwins like this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets lost a large number of games this year as a result of subpar performances from Jalen Green. Things were looking pretty bleak as far as his chances to become an all-star level player.

I’m glad he’s peaking now to end the season and it’s coinciding with winning. I hope what we’re seeing continues to be his new normal. But I’d like to see it sustained for longer than a 20 something game stretch for me to be convinced that he’s a star.

Richie_Rich, Easy and Patience like this.
  14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That’s the issue. Fans and writers that don’t understand the game kept judging without any i ln depth analysis on What’s actually happening on the court. Instead they kept citing normalized metrics (not stats) as the basis of their argument. Jalen’s passing has improved greatly. His assist avg is the same as last year but the quality of reads and decision making has improved and that’s not going to show up in the box score. That’s why pure statistic or metric watching is pointless and inaccurate.

Example: Green has improved his passing off the high screen as teams double him up. He is looking for cutters as he gets doubled on the wings. He finds the short corner (mostly Amen) as he drives in a stacked lane. We have seen multiple 10 assists games. And we saw how he helped us win with that corner pass to Jabari in that OKC game. A pass that Cam Whitmore likely wouldn’t make. And that’s why the “Cam is better” argument is so ignorant.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Right - it's ALL the nuance that goes into that. It's not just seeing the right man to pass the ball to, it's delivering that pass at the right time to maximize a players chance at the defender not being able to recover, it's delivering that pass at the right spot so there is economy of motion allowing those shots to go up quicker and more "in rhythm", it's how he keep defenders eyes on him by keeping a live ball dribble for as long as possible - because his "gravity" as an offensive player is based on his ability to get to the hoop quickly and if he stops his dribble, off ball defenders can direct their attention back to off ball players. He has been better at all these things this year and that's just one small area where he has been better. He's nowhere near the level of the guys like Sengun and Amen for sure(who additionally have the skill of being able to manipulate off ball defenders with fakes and look offs) but he is serviceable now and that's huge because a year ago, Jalen's passes to open shooters were not consistent, were often too late, etc.

Same thing on defense - Jalen isn't a great defender necessarily(frankly he lacks a lot of fundamentals about footwork and body placement), but the effort is there this year on most plays and his raw athleticism makes him a threat as a defender and just being a threat to block a shot or grab a steal is sometime enough to bother lesser players and that has a material impact on the score even if you don't record a block or steal.

Ancient Moabite and Stephen_A like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he can save the Spurs, Washington and Detroit, or just win 30 games with them, then he is a bona fide star....

Star also means he can lift a team to new heights without help from Udoka, just as you are cautious with coining players stars....

A Star does not have to be babysitted ......He is becoming a star but he is not one yet.

It was clear that Udoka went the extra mile to help players like Green, Cam, Amen and even Sengün.

17. Ancient Moabite

You antiJG4 associates are so stuck in the 1812 mud flood watching a fluke/scrub rise to stardom that your takes keep getting more comical by the minute

and to top it off JG4 meteoric rise is being hyped by the propagands media who can brainwash the majority with repetitive gibberish in 48-72 hrs flat

Now for one Green won't be able to show can He win 30 games or not with those teams, but I wouldn't expect any of the past HS to NBA p!Ayers like KG/TMac/Kobe to lead those bottom feeders to 30 wins either, and they are now HOFers, but they were not HOF level during end of their 3rd NBA season

I haven't seen Udoka take a shot or grab a rebound in NBA game for Rockets this season

I didn't see Udoka split defenders to finish acrobat MJ/AI style at rim, or hit clutch step back 3s, Udoka took this job based on the film he saw, and coaching JG4 was big part of that, which is why Udoka was allegedly at his pick up games, and of course the USA select team (practice) where Udoka was schooling (helping/babysitting) Green on what he expects etc, they have helped each other

Green wanted better structure/discipline, so they got rid of Silas etc and the Rockets hired Noble Ime, JG4 is a genius

Players who come straight from HS have to be closely monitored (so called babysit) being they are naive/deer in headlights etc, Kobe parents stayed with him first couple or so seasons I guess to babysit him, I call it Player Development/Asset(investment)

You become a superstar by first becoming a star....

Green went from a scrub to a bust to a fluke to now media pundits are Crowning him as potential superstar but surefire rising star

And to top it off he reached the clutch fan regulations 15 game achievement that makes this month plus stretch .....all NBA caliber

Usually the best tier coaches go the extra mile for their players regardless the age, but even more so when the players want it and are young n hungry(helps to be talented like they are)

So Ime is going the extra mile because those young players all want to reach their apex and Noble Ime has delivered thus far, and the players also

As Jabari said, they All have bought in to the Ime system

And it has unleashed the bball child of Swoopes/AI, a Fluke at that, who at this current super Saiyon version is way more valuable than a DPOY finalist or triple double threat in the all star Barnes

How many wins has Barnes led Toronto to?

Mobley is led by one all star guard and another who puts up All NBA caliber numbers plus he play with another big who made all star team on his watch, that's why his overall team W-L record is dominant to his class (top 3-5 )

But Mobley is not worth the max (for most teams) on defense alone, but right now to Cavs his def. may be worth it to them

Just like this current version of Green is max (MVP caliber) extension worthy, inclusive with Sengun and in a few yrs possibly Bari & Amen/Cam........that would be a beautiful problem to have

Just like Barnes will get max from Raptors, but he can't lead Raptors to 35 wins

Which I don't expect him to do that, he is too young plus his game is not based on taking over a game with buckets

The funniest part about you anti club members who whined about if Green plays better they will win more, and he would get the blame for losses

Now that he is playing at MVP level and carry longest win streak none of you are posting the stats/ts%/3pt % etc, and he has to get by default the lion share of credit, equal to the excessive (and silly) blame

HTownTmac1 and Stephen_A like this.
  18. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Im def not talking about you! Someone else I have in mind

NewAge likes this.
  19. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Anyone wish they hadn't signed this dumb ****?

I was honestly ready to sign it but I was confident I wouldn't have to.

Go Rockets

20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I think the people who created and promoted the apology threads need to now apologize. The reality is the only people who were right are the people who have been evaluating Jalen for what he is at that moment, and being reasonable about what his future could hold, and wanting to see a bit more to make a decision on him. I think 3 years is a significant sample size, and the fact he has one more summer and a few months next year to help us make a decision is going to be more than enough.

If we trade him before the deadline next year, and he becomes a super star elsewhere then he will become one because of that new environment or system or whatever reason, but whatever that reason is it likely would not have been replicated in Houston, so there is no need to feel bad about it if that ends up being the case. This is not a Harden from OKC to Houston scenario because Jalen has had the opportunity to start and be a primary focus, I think by next season we will have done everything we can to get it to work for us.

The only way I will feel like we messed up is if we see multiple guys leave and they become super stars elsewhere implying it is our development and not the player, I don't think this will happen. The guys we have gotten rid of have not really done great elsewhere, guys we thought were decent enough players.

HardenReturns, Tankeio and Y2JT like this.