1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Adam Silver

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CCorn, Jun 4, 2020.

?

What does he look like?

1. White Tony Dungy

2. A teed-up golf ball

3. The upside down exclamation point at the beginning of an emphatic Spanish phrase

4. An Oscar statue before bronzing.

5. The next evolution of the light bulb.

6. A friendly plastic spoon in a children's book who teaches the children the importance of recycling.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What a friggin Puppet Master. Shadow reign.

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Reminds me of that German or Austrian dude from The Strain.

Buck Turgidson and Plowman like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

Adam Silver segment on CNN. Few different topics, bookmarked the section starting with TV deals.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

he's like the jewish jesus

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He is, isn't he
    [​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

MadMax and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's become clear to me that Silver's legacy will be that he prioritized short-term revenue gains for the league at the expense of longer-term stability. Jersey ads, annual jersey refreshes for 30 teams, the In-Season Tournament and the recently-announced live betting in the League Pass app are all short-term money makers that mostly degrade the long-term image of the league. I like the IST, but time will tell if it sticks around.

He has a unique problem among major sports in that his games don't usually demand real-time viewing. Regular season games aren't appointment television like the NFL and a lot of young fans are perfectly fine to watch short recap clips the next day. He has a looming generation of non-American talent dominating a league that's always been more personality, rather than team, driven. Time will tell how it affects viewership when millions of casual fans are supposed to tune into Jokic, Giannis, Luka, Joel, Shai, etc. instead of LeBron and Steph.

However, he's gonna get a few billion in expansion fees from Seattle and Las Vegas so maybe all of this is moot.

TexasTofu, Easy, BigShasta and 5 others like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Shadow of the Vampire is a great movie...Willem Dafoe as Nosferatu/Orlok

It reminds me of Adam Silver.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is very smart analysis

12. StroudAndYorDaddy

adam silver is just throwing sh*t at the wall to see what sticks at this point

the poster above said it best, adam silver is a short-term thinker and doesnt realize the implications for the long term health of the league. Just off the top of my head the IST was forgettable( half the players werent even in nba shape). Then the whole team lebron vs team giannis at the all star which was dumb. Also i know he doesnt have control on what type analyst promote the game of basketball but in year 21 for lebron , its way too much talent in the league( jokic, luka, edwards, haliburton, etc) to constantly talk about the 10th seeded lakers all year and their 40 year old dinosaur. Itd be like if the nfl had lamar jackson/patrick mahomes/josh allen and justin herbert entering their prime.. but instead of marketing those guys they focused on tom brady and aaron rodgers all season because tom brady being the goat was still an active player.

Its why mark cuban despite having perhaps the best young guard to hit the nba since jordan decided to sell his stake in the mavericks for 3 billion( why would mark cuban do that.. maybe he knew something)
    '
    Adam needs to instruct the NBA TV, TNT, FS1, ESPN partners to market their young talent, why is jokic, franz wagner or luka barely discussed in the media. Its all about the lakers. I dont even watch espn anymore its trash. I remmeber back in the early 2000's when you had a young tim legler and greg anthony with stuart scott on nba 2 night/ nba fastbreak doing breakdown analysis.

Maybe sports in general has just gotten worse since i was in my teens.. feels like defense is all but leaving the nfl and now this taylor swift thing they had last szn was really cringe as well. Maybe im just getting old

ElPigto likes this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Silver can only do so much, but like his schevy predecessor he's enabling corruption and turning the NBA into a joke. ESPN has a great hand in this too, so I pray they lose the rights to broadcast games and hopefully at some point the betting is combatted, because things are out of control.

Cannot remember a time where there were more crazy things happening, mainly coaches and players calling out referees left and right now, openly questioning the integrity of the officials and the whole Draymond saga - add another wild grabbing by the neck last night that I'm sure he would say is just clumsy and went unpunished even upon review - that is easily putting the NBA on notice.

Stern was more like a mob boss and managed to keep things in check, with Silver it's getting more out of control and I actually like that people are questioning and turning on the league. Let the drama continue to the point where changes will be made, because it cannot be allowed to continue like this. They have to put their cards on the table at some point.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He will always be...

[​IMG]

napalm06 likes this.
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and his minions...

upload_2024-3-27_16-15-55.jpeg