1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

I hated how for years there were no good isometric CRPGs. I still prefer them over any other view, but for years you couldn't find any new ones being made until recently they had a renaissance (Thank you Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin, couldn't have happened without you), all because some dumbass publishers decided they wouldn't be profitable anymore. BG3 has made them look particularly foolish.

Creators hate Steam, but thanks to it and Kickstarter, now we have a huge variety of games being made in genres long thought "unprofitable". Sure, they take a huge cut from the creators, but as a consumer it has been a huge boon to gamers.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Due to having a family, work, working out and simply just having a life and other interests it took me almost half a year to finish BG3. Totally worth the gaming trip and I think you will feel that way too. Also, my mouth opened on a certain encounter with Raphael in Act 3, please share your experience when you do.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will do that. I've seen him, but definitely still have more to deal with him

clos4life likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Anyone playing Hentai Farms: The Mysterious Bush

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor

Balatro

TexasTofu likes this.
  6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I love to bash publishers as much as anyone (and I will later in this post), but just to play devil's advocate, I actually think it makes sense what publishers have done in this space. I've backed like ~100 different projects (plus early access stuff), but I think the vast majority of these projects end up with a product that didn't sell very well (if it even was completed). Even the "successful" ones aren't *that* successful. For example, from what Google tells me, Pillars 1 (which I backed) sold around 700K (maybe bump up to 1M or so if it had legs, not sure if it did). That's probably great for the budget it had, but then the sequel only sold around 110K (on a $4.4M budget). Obsidian seems to be going with a more mainstream style of game for the next game in this universe. :/

Admittedly, Larian's recent games typically sold pretty well (millions of copies), but if just about any other developer proposed a CRPG style game with a budget of $100M, I could see why some publishers might have been hesitant to sign a deal for it. And even if the budget was a fraction of that, they'd probably prefer to save that money for whatever project they think will make $500M in revenue (as a 5M game that gets twice its budget in profits is still a rounding error to them).

Having said all of that, publishers are at least part of the reason (maybe all of it?) for why these budgets are so out of control. We have some developers putting out award winning, chart topping games on a near annual bases, and yet that's not enough to keep these publishers happy. Instead of empowering creatives, publishers will try to keep up with fads by dumping tons of money in live service games or even blockchain nonsense (well that *didn't* really take off, though I'm pretty sure Square-Enix and Ubisoft invested heavily in it). None of this stuff is sustainable.

I do agree that Steam and other things have helped make it possible for these games with more reasonable budgets to find success. I think discoverability is still far from ideal for non-AAA games (especially outside the PC space), though you can still get the occasional huge indie hit. Perhaps if gamers weren't so used to (and easily bored) by games with insane budgets, some of these smaller games might be more attractive to the mainstream. Sure, I am very interested in a Chained Echoes, Octopath Traveler, Eiyuden Chronicle, Star Ocean The Second Story R, etc., but the average gamer would likely easily overlook those and just buy a FF16, FF7 Remake, Starfield, etc.

That's a whole lot of rambling to basically say...yikes this industry is a mess, but yes hopefully we can still get more of these games we like.

Anyway, as for what I'm playing, I still haven't picked up a new game from my last post. I bought a ton of games from the Steam sale (all indie/AA games :)), and I'm trying to figure out what to get to next.

FranchiseBlade and clos4life like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't that put out by Nocturnal Emissions Games?

KingCheetah and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Currently trying to finish BG3 at least I made it to Act 3 finally. Also spending a little time with some quirky indie games, Fabledom and Dorfromatik. the former is a medieval fairytale city builder. The latter is a tile building strategy game where you create landscapes. It is very low stress and I like the music. Will probably look into Stardew again when the new patch hits tomorrow.

clos4life and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

No one asked for this...but we all needed it...

Uprising and TexasTofu like this.
  10. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

deep rock surivor was funnnnnn, binged it over a weekend. only other survicor game i played was halls of torment

11. KingCheetah

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i actually ran into it while thumbing though my FYP page on tik tok, they will throw up live streams every so often while scrolling some dude was playing it. looked fun as hell, it has been.

brotato is good and vampire survivors as well

Invisible Fan and TexasTofu like this.
  13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Think I mentioned this game before, but I revisited Outer Wilds. Despite the praise, I initially gave up after a couple of hours due to some gameplay issues I had (sorta roguelike, didn't like the flying controls, etc). I tried it again, and this time I enjoyed it much more, though it still requires some attention that I can't really give it at this time. So I just watched other people play/explain it. I ultimately do agree that it is a top tier game (legitimate all-time great), and this is yet another example of an indie dev doing things that none of the AAA devs do. If you haven't played it and like space/sciencey stuff, I strongly recommend giving it a shot, especially if you can overlook the issues I had.

Along with that, I've played a bit of another indie (I think?) game called Haven:

Not an all-time great, but it is pretty charming and offers another unique experience not commonly found in mainstream games.

Also playing Final Fantasy 4 (Pixel Remaster) with my daughter in an attempt to brainwash her into liking the "right" games. :p

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. Poloshirtbandit

My coworkers have been trying to talk me into getting Helldivers 2 for a while now. How grindy is it? I usually don't get much time to game lately, maybe an hour or so a night.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It hasn’t felt too grindy to me.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

An hour will probably get you a level. It's fairly grindy if you want to be fully loaded. But if you're part of a team, you'll be fine. There are many difficulty levels that are fun and playable without having to use optimal loadouts.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not bad, an hour is maybe a few matches and how fun they are really depends on who your squad is.

I don't have very much time to play games either, and IMO is kind of the perfect game to play casually. You won't fly up the ranks to get the best stuff... but you can get most of the cool stuff pretty early on and it's still fun no matter what equipment you can get.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Helldiver's people- have y'all started to notice the destroyed vehicles on some of the planets? I think they're about to introduce usable ones with how ridiculous some the maps are with rock faces and cliffs everywhere that divide the map, leaving only one route to get to where you need to get to.

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I think I might give Gas Station Simulator a try.

20. KingCheetah

I need to give Outer Wilds another try I wasn't too thrilled with it after reading the glowing reviews then playing a game with some janky mechanics/ physics.