1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Fantasma Negro

don grahamleone and Bigearz like this.
  3. raining threes

She's definitely PR savy.

It appears with adding a guy with Mixon's background that Cal's letting his football people add the players that Ryans/Caserio want to add to the team. A very refreshing change down on Kirby.

ROCKSS, Nook and 13 in 33 like this.
  4. raining threes

Not impressed with this after hearing the wisdom of Claudine Gay.

5. Qan

Qan Member

No matter what is said, there is synergy between Hannah and Cal. You can see that she respects her husband's words and follows through with his thoughts when she answers. I also like seeing how Cal, after he answers, look towards Hannah so she can give her own input into the questions. There's mutual respect, in public atleast.

In the end, it seems like they have a great relationship and works well together.

6. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I tried to put in the "u" and it wouldn't let me.

jch1911 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly at first I kind of laughed at this - and then I thought about it, having been with my wife for over 20 years, I think you are right.

Cal is obviously not terribly deep and not very bright. However, he wants to make his family proud and he wants to be a good owner and civic leader - and that DOES matter. Even if he isn’t dynamic and doesn’t always surround himself with the best people, the fact he wants to do well and feels a responsibility puts him ahead of some. It is also obvious over time that he knows his wife is smarter than him and that she is trust worthy and makes good decisions… and I am sure for someone that struggles with that, having a woman that is like that is really attractive.

I have heard Hannah speak and talk about her husband and she talks about his heart and him believing strongly in making a difference. I’m sure for someone fairly bright, that is attractive.

Also Cal could not hold back the pride when his wife pointed out that his mother wants him to lead the team- he showed genuine pride.

Cal grew up with a lot of advantages and his old man kept him out of trouble for basically associating with poor characters when he was younger - but Cal does seem genuinely grateful and aware of his good fortune sometimes.

ROCKSS, bumbum09, Fyreball and 4 others like this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I find it hilarious people still think academia is about intelligence. It's legalized organized crime at this point.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Whatever it is, it's working. I don't know how she does it, but Hannah seems to have a better feel and respect for the common fan than most. I have no idea how she overcame her academic training.

#950 Marshall Bryant, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Where's the DeMeco RED?

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

This was a really good interview. Usually, I can listen to pod casts for a few minutes and then move on. I listened to the end and really liked the questions and responses by Nico. Thanks for posting.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you also listen to her thoughts on the other AFC South teams on the long video, Texans appear to be in a very strong position.

OremLK, BMoney and don grahamleone like this.
  16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I have a lot of time for Mina, even when she isn't complmenting the Texans.

ROCKSS, zeeshan2 and raining threes like this.
  17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

We live in a world full of Fail Sons who let their egos run wild and are actively destroying a lot of what we used to treasure. You could do worse than Cal.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just thought I would speculate about the direction of the Defense a little bit.

We all know the NFL is a copycat league where coaching trees are all the rage. Right now Shanahan is "magical."

But we also know by looking at history that, just like a 20th generation copy from your copy machine, there is a limit to how far you can take it.

I think I'm detecting an innovation by Demeco and Burke toward bending less in the bend, but don't break defense popularized in SF. It involves choosing the in-betweeners, usually considered only for their versatility, as primary components in the defense. Caserio will like it because it is an undervalued group and he loves maximizing value.

The innovation is in stiffening the run game without telegraphing the defensive package to the modern QB. Employing these in-betweeners at DT in a 4-3 who give the benefits of a 3-4 edge capable of both rushing and disrupting the running game is the hope of this innovation. The NASCAR package might work well against an almost certain passing down, but is a little too cute against the run oriented teams in the playoffs who rarely get themselves out of the run game.

This appears to be an attempt to improve both offense and defense by reducing the opponents time of possession in the middle of the field.

We'll have to see how our newer DTs are utilized to see if it works or if this is indeed a deliberate attempt to innovate and not just a coincidence of opportunity.

Players who fit this category:

Denico Autry 6'5" 273
    A J Gaye 6'5" 265
    Dylan Horton 6'4" 275
    Damielle Hunter 6'5" 275
    Khalil Davis 6'1" 308
    Kurt Hinish 6'2" 300
    Foley Fatukasi 6'4" 318

Heavier DE and lighter DT. Hopefully the best of both and not the worst of both.

#958 Marshall Bryant, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    raining threes and ROCKSS like this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

DeMeco still pretty swole years after retirement. Coach Swole then.

raining threes, jch1911 and ROCKSS like this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's ****ing go! Go Texans :)

red5rocket, jch1911 and cmoak1982 like this.