1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some tidbits from Yao's book....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, Sep 10, 2004.

1. allforsong

allforsong Contributing Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by lost_elephant
    you should buy the book then, because yao is donating the profits to the world special olympics foundation.

Can you tell me where you read this?

2. allforsong

allforsong Contributing Member

3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

4. choujie

choujie Member

A question: No matter how many books are sold, Yao only gets 1.5M, the rest goes to publisher and author, is it correct?

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

No, according to what pryuen was saying, Yao will keep his $1.5 million advance. He still gets a percentage of book sales, but the publisher will want to recoup their $1.5m advance. Any profits that Yao would have received based on his percentage above $1.5m is what he is donating to the Special Olympics.

6. MADE

MADE Member

didn't think the book would be interesting, but thanks to the gatorfan76 I now want to buy the book and read it.

It seems extremely interesting, even the little teasers gator give us.

7. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I thought both some Chinese media and Pryuen said Yao donated the 1.5m.

8. m_cable

If you follow the above link that lost_elephant posted, you'll find Pryuen post stating:

I took it to mean that Yao isn't giving up his advance. He's only donating the profits that exceed this amount.

9. BigMan+Mac=Big Mac

BigMan+Mac=Big Mac Contributing Member

Yao said he will donate all income from the book.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Anyone know when the release date for this thing in stores is? Is it the 14th, 21st or 28th?

I went to Barnes and Noble this weekend and the 'tard at the info desk was no help.

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

That guy at the info desk is obviously not a YOF. :D

12. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

I was at Borders and I checked their Bookfinder - it's already at the Borders at the Fountains. It's expected to be in all the other Borders in 3-5 days - and that was yesterday.

13. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

"OK, Anyway, if you yellow people say that it's not so bad, but if a white guy said it. I'd fight with him." p.153 was a quote from Catino correct? I can't believe there no one is commenting that this isn't racist. You yellow people? Please!

14. TheFelderFirm

TheFelderFirm Member

What You say about my MOMMA!!?? Cuttino to Yao... page 187.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

why is that racist?
    he also says white guy, is that also racist?
    chineese people are Yellow,
    african american people are Black
    european people are white.
    so what is the problem with saying black people or white people or yellow people??

16. qrui

qrui Member

i think shaggylambda was just trying to pick up a fight.:D

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

in that case i apologize.:D

18. noize

noize Contributing Member

YAO-A life In Two Worlds

Wow, I just got the book from B&N and its pretty damn interesting. Its very in dept and informative coming from Yao's perspective. He pretty much tells his life story from when he was a little boy all the way through the end of the 2003-04 season. I love how he cracks jokes every now and than and actually shows a side of him that we never seen before. I recommend all Yao and Rockets fan(lots of rockets members mention) to purchase the book! It will be great looking back at the book once his career is over and see if any of his dreams come true. Thanks to Ric for making this book possible.

Pros
    -very in dept and personal(lots of interesting quotes )
    -200+ pages
    -colorfull photo inserts in the middle
    -hard cover
    -very etertaining
    -good collectors item

Cons
    -little mention of T-Mac(due to book's deadline)
    -Flimsy and thin cover sleeve(need to get in laminated)
    -kinda expensive(paid almost 25.00 for mine)

I will show a little tidbits of the book during lunch...

Heres a couple...

- Yao's mother said CD is like a grandfather to Yao and CD always had believed in Yao before pre-draft and never listen to the negative things that was said about Yao.

- Yao did not like the fact that Stevie ask him to carry his luggage as a rookie. He said don't matter if you're a rookie or not everyone should be treated equally, but understood that its how America is.

19. m_cable

Well the thing is, I don't think any Asian person (in the United States at least, with it's politically correct atmosphere and history of racial strife) wants to be called "Yellow". It's a term that many are uncomfortable with, myself included.

Whereas the majority of African Americans don't seem to have a problem with the "black" label. There are those that are outspoken about denouncing the term, but they seem to be a pretty small minority. I really can't speak for African Americans, but this is the perception that I get.

In terms of the "Yellow" label, I don't usually make waves about it, but it isn't a term that I'm fond of. I wouldn't say that the term is rascist per se, but it's definitely loaded with a bit of insensitivity.

On a similar note, I'm not sure why, but the term Oriental is also a no-no in the politically correct vernacular. It never really bothered me before, but a lot of Asian people really don't like it anymore. Whatever.

So if you're in mixed company with Asian people, and you're concerned with sensitivity, "Yellow" and "Oriental" are terms that you shouldn't bandy about freely.

20. parker2000

parker2000 Member

Initially, I think Oriental is used to describe anything of the Orient origin. Now a days, it is not politically correct because it should be used to descripe "objects' such as carpet, food, decor, etc...and not people.