1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, when can we end this JG experiment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zjcblord21, Feb 22, 2024.

1. marinara

marinara Member

Write me a list of 21-22 year olds that were complete players and could lead their teams to winning playoff series.

2. marinara

marinara Member

He is 22 years old. How many 22 year olds were effectively running a team into a winning playoff team?

justinh, highpost1388 and rocketchamp like this.
  3. Ancient Moabite

Another one of Green chapters should be....

Hopefully......He Can Keep This Up

Corrosion likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Going back and reposting old posts when they were viable at the time is useless. He looked horrible to start the year. He has thankfully for the franchise turned it around.

MadMax94$ and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This, people were begging him to have a decent 23 ppg... at that time.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The point is that some could see a turnaround is possible and others had shut the door almost completely willing to even just cut losses at that point. There’s a lot of meaning to being able to discern these things. It’s all we do here is predict how things are going to go.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Predictions are hard , especially about the future.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

9. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

To be honest, I never expect him to already lead the team into a wining playoff team. I just want him to improve his skill sets like shooting, like dribbling, like passing, step by step, year by year. If you look at his performance before this winning streak, you can easily find that he shows little signs of improvement and he even regressed. Regression is what feared and disappointed fans the most.

Same question to you, how many 22 years old's shooting percentage were worse than their first and second years? And it lasted for 2/3 of a season, I wouldn't call people have no patience on him. It is the 3rd year indeed, what he showed in the first 2/3, in my personal view, no mercy shall be granted, he did perform really bad.

The stats definitely are better now after his recent highlights. I hope he continues to improve and maintain this upward trend.

clutchdabear and daywalker02 like this.
  10. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

:eek::(:D:cool:

highpost1388 likes this.
  11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

People still need to be cautiously optimistic.. Jalen isn't out of the woods yet. Despite this run, he's still bottom tier/below avg in nearly all metrics for this season and there are countless examples of random NBA players having hot stretches only to cool off again. Keep in mind that he's also been doing this against some of the weakest teams in the league. I do admit, I feel like it is different this time but we'll see.

If Jalen shows up and plays great, or at least shows great effort in being a difference maker in that upcoming Warriors game, then count me in as a firm believer.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did you actually check or are you assuming? Booker is one person. And that was a quick 2 second search.

It seems like you have these arbitrary goals for Green where if he doesn't achieve them regardless of context it has to mean something to you.

Is the only point of examination to see if he improves is starting at a ts%?

Is that it?

And not only that you pretend you didn't make claims of giving up on him.

See there is a difference between saying you are disappointed which I even have said and just saying "we should give up on him and end this".

You made a definitive conclusion about him.

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Give me another example of a mediocre player averaging 35 points over a five game span. You know, since there are "countless" examples. Hell, Jeremy Lin didn't touch that average during his Linsanity run.

Ancient Moabite and highpost1388 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is not a mediocre player but this season has been mediocre.....check the wording and the difference.

He might not be mediocre anymore but his lows were bottom lows and his highs pretty high.....that spelled mediocrity for this season at least.

You call it slightly above average because the number of games where he sucked was a decent amount.

15. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

Of course ts% is not the only thing. I was just throwing an example. He regressed in other areas as well, JG4's Isolation PPP was regressing before year by year also.

What did I pretend? I was disappointed by him, that's why I think we should give up on him. I never deny that and I see no contradiction. And I will say that firmly again: "There has never been another Rocket players disapointed me this much like JG4." That was my exact feeling before this wining streak, period.

If you ask me my feeling about JG4 now, I still have doubts but I'd like to wait maybe one more season before I make another conclusion.

16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This whole debate is absurd. He started this season at 21 years old in a brand new system under a new coach and just turned 22. Of course he's inconsistent. I think this forum does not appreciate just how young he is. Michael Jordan entered the league at 21. Dwayne Wade at 22. Larry Bird at 23. Kobe didn't start blowing up until he was 22/23. There are prospects in THIS DRAFT older than Green.

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

They weren't viable, they were stupid then & now. He's 22yrs old & that's all too it. Luckily none of you idiots are making basketball decisions

Tato1971 likes this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

19. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

I think it's just different standards, that's all. Yes, new system, new coach, that's definitely contributing to his inconsistent. However, his efficiency level was too low that even if you list all SGs in the league that he can still stands out as 'inefficient'. At least to my own standard, his inefficiency and inconsistant for 2/3 of a season can't be justified by his young age.

Another personal view is that, I think If he goes to college instead of Ignite, he will definitely become more consistent and grow faster after entering the league.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Lin actually did get pretty close those first four monster games that started Linsanity when you factor in that the scoring environment is 10% higher today than it was in 2012. He scored 28.5 points and 8 assists, which adjusted to today's scoring would be the equivalent of 31.5ppg. But yes, not quite as impressive of what Jalen just did.

A more instructive example for what some of us fear could happen with Jalen would probably be Monta Ellis. In 2009, again, a lower-scoring era, he had a 5-game stretch where he put up 35.2 points, 5.4 assists, and 4 rebounds on 52.3% shooting. To be fair, he was also older and more experienced (age 24, 5th year). I think the downside and the fear with Jalen is something not exactly like Ellis, but in that vein--a guy who is capable of putting up a lot of points but not capable of doing it consistently and efficiently enough to be a winning player.

I'm always wary of touting "this guy did something special in [small sample size]" as a predictive metric because we've definitely seen plenty of chuckers throughout NBA history capable of occasionally lighting the world on fire. What separates them from the true greats is consistency, reliability, ability to do it in the playoffs. And as happy as I am that Jalen is playing better right now, he still has not proven himself in those areas.

clutchdabear and zjcblord21 like this.