1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Sports media, writers & bloggers owe Jalen Green a apology

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 23, 2024.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

He's so far ahead of the development schedule. He shouldn't be this good this early. Sky is the limit.

topfive likes this.
  2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No, Udoka benching him is what taught Jalen Green a lesson.

3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Yes. And?

Ime held Jalen accountable. That’s what competent coaches do, as opposed to the clown Silas. It’s good for Jalen’s development. And it seems to have already made a big difference.

topfive and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I will say the hate for him here is way over the top. He was bad for the vast majority of the season and criticism is fair but not some of the comments. I don't thonk pitting Greeen's fans against Alpi's fans makes any sense whatsoever. They're both Rockets

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Literally the OPPOSITE. Jalen Green made the grown man decision to join Ignite against pros, taking grown man pay against grown men. Its not a culture clash like young overseas pros fitting into America. He entered professional expectations.

Jalen's home and road numbers are comically different, even worse than general home/road differences. His play is competent at home. He's dogsh** on the road, and for the first half of the season. That shows a player who plays to "hot dog" it for the crowd. And cruising on the road for the free travel, NBA Tour in your city where the h03s at

If Jalen approached EVERY game hard like a professional - basically if Home Jalen was every game - wouldnt have as much issue. If it wasnt for Jalen's own personal life matters bringing urgency to his play - nothing from actual game of basketball - it'd probably be the same inconsistency story. It shouldnt take that for him to play every game with same focus. Scrutiny is more than justified

Joe Rocket likes this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Jalen has been objectively a bad basketball player for the bulk of his career but you aren’t drafting Jalen Green for what he does during the years when he could technically still be in college. You drafted him for the potential. Where these discussions fall apart is in the absolute lack of nuance when talking about him or even most players. He’s either awesome now or he’s completely worthless and that’s a strange hill to die on. He’s demonstrated countless moments of elite skill that 99% of the NBA simply do not have and there’s no way you give up on that at age 22. I have no idea what Jalen Green the Rockets end up with but I think the lesson is really to tone down the rhetoric and be open minded to a lot of these players.

TheJet, harold bingo, Bo6 and 5 others like this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"he shouldnt be" Where on earth did you get that idea.

theDude likes this.
  9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

For months, I said Jalen Green was slacking. The reason I said this is that he was, in fact, slacking.

Lately, he's been playing better. His shot is falling, which is great but isn't my main concern. I'm still watching him off the ball and on defense, to see whether he's improved his level of engagement when the ball isn't in his hands.

So far, what I'm seeing is better engagement and effort. Still not great — I'm often amazed at how clumsy such a gifted offensive player can be when the other team has the ball — but better. So my assessment has changed from "He's hopeless" to "Let's see if he can keep this up and carry it into next season." If he can, then maybe he'll no longer owe an apology to the Rockets for failing to live up to his draft position.

We can't have any slackers on this team.

cheke64 likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

[​IMG]

Will likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

So under that line of logic, we're a better team with Landale at center than Sengun? Got it.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I look at this as an expert opinion from someone who knows a little about the topic.

13. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

Apologies for criticizing his play this year? No. Apologies for making moronic statements about his manhood, ability, and future might be called for if his development continues to destroy that narrative. But who really needs an apology from a moron? :confused:

Joe Rocket likes this.
  14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I will agree that Roosh should apologize to Jalen because he's desperately trying to make a living off of saying stupid **** about the guy. Everyone else just has to chill before deciding on the careers of young players.

duluth111222 likes this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

No I said Jalen Green can you not ****ing read.

16. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

This is why I've been saying on Rocketswatch that it's too early to consider trading Jabari, lol.

There will always be another knee-jerk take just around the next corner from people that want the BBS clout.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

People have suggested trading Jabari? We really have the worst fans possible.

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it's ironic that the same people who thought the kobe/mj stylistic comparisons were completely absurd are the same people who are holding jalen to that standard of play.

How dare a 19-21 year old player drafted on potential not be a finished product.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He just turned 22, you silly goof.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

It's a perspective from someone who works in sports with youth development. Just because somethings "always been that way" doing mean it has to continue. I dare you go to any girls sporting event and criticize them with "you play like a girl" and see how you are received.

You've missed my entire point about how the comments were not an actual basketball analysis or critique. It's quite easy to say "he plays like a girl" than give actual analysis but go ahead and triple down on being a bigoted moron.