1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of player to target with 2024 Nets pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by peleincubus, Jul 27, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Has Reed Sheppard going 4th to Memphis

https://theathletic.com/5337105/2024/03/19/nba-mock-draft-2024-march-madness/

8. Houston Rockets (via Nets)

Ron Holland | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | G League Ignite

Holland was the Ignite’s most productive player this season, averaging 19.5 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game while being one of the team’s few sources of offensive creation. However, most of those points came in transition or inefficiently in half-court settings. He had a below-average true shooting percentage and more turnovers than assists as he struggled with his decision-making. That’s somewhat to be expected from an 18-year-old playing professionally for the first time, but it also has left evaluators in a tricky spot as they try to determine where to slot him. He’ll miss the rest of the G League season with a thumb injury.

Holland’s motor is what excites NBA teams most. He constantly plays hard, getting the most out of his terrific athleticism by going 100 percent at every moment. His energy can sometimes bite him on defense when he gets overaggressive and overly physical. But amid the Ignite’s poor season, Holland has at least continued to improve, showcasing a capacity for growth that impressed evaluators.

It seems like Holland’s range is from picks No. 4 to No. 12 right now. Some evaluators who have gone back through his tape now that his season is over have come away a bit more understanding and impressed with his play this season. Pre-draft workouts will play a huge role in determining his draft position, especially if he shoots the ball well in front of NBA executives.

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Unless the Rockets feel that a prospect available at their pick is a tier above, I would hope that they choose an older player closer to the age of the rest of the team and more ready to contribute. I also think they need shooting and a big to be Sengun's long term understudy. Again, if there is somebody Stone et al deem to be in a class above then go with that guy and let it shake out somehow. But I would probably be looking at walking out of the draft with Dalton Knecht and Adem Bona. I really like Knecht as a floor spacer off the bench and Bona could be a poor man's Time Lord (Robert Williams). I just dont think, unless the difference is marked, that it makes sense to add another guy who is a year or more away from contributing. I think Knecht plays next season and Bona probably is ready for minutes after a stint in RGV and after a few months with Steven Adams in practice.

Rokman likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Boy what a time to lay an egg Sheppard. and get bounced in the first round of the tourney lol

Knecht >>

Rokman and j@amc like this.
  4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

We still have picks? Stone's doing a fantastic job

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I sat down and watched a bunch of the game with my son telling him this is the guy the rockets may draft. He was not impressed

6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

You're basically drafting another Ferdette

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Was he really that bad ?

I didn't watch the game but noticed he only took a few shots. My biggest fear with him is if he doesn't have the frame or athleticism to translate with legit NBA competition. It would have been nice to see him in a long run in high stakes games.

8. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He was. He could get his shot off and had terrible shot selection when he did.

pmac likes this.
  9. j@amc

j@amc Member

NCAA First round notes

I don't see what others see in Cody Williams (Colorado). While he does have DNA going for him, Williams isn't even the third option for Colorado. He's been invisible in the tournament. Is that a top-five guy?

There seem to be many more impactful NCAA wings like Dalton Knecht or Tyon Grant-Foster (shout out to Grand Canyon!). At this point, I like Holland and Stephon Castle over Cody Williams.

I also wonder if Reed Shepherd just decided he didn't want to get in the weeds and risk injury against Oakland. He simply disappeared.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tyler Smith looks pretty good to me with his 6'10 height and long arms. He can shoot and dunk off the P/R. Tari is fantastic, but he will be coming back from an injury. Bari is a good defender, but he's inconsistent on offense. The Rockets are likely to end with the 9th or 10th pick from the Nets unfortunately.

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

Kevin O'Ccnnor's Ringer Mock (3/27) has Houston getting Stephon Castle at #8. What's far more interesting is that after Kentucky's flameout, Reed Shepherd is still on his board when the Rockets would be picking. Dillingham and Ja'Kobe Walter too.

Clingan (going to Memphis at #7), Buzelis, and Hollard have jumped up the board. Duke's Jared McCain is getting a lot of hype, but he's still down at #14.

If Houston doesn't beat the odds and move into the top 3, it's a perfect storm if you have to pick between Shepherd, Dillingham, or Castle. Given time, any of them would be a serious upgrade over Aaron Holiday.

By the time the draft rolls around, we'll have clips of Castle and others shooting in empty gyms. Any one of these young guns would be a terror under Udoka's leadership.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Was it Tyon Grant-Foster's skill or their head coach game design?

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

NBAdraft.net has Cody Williams as their current top pick (and Reed Shepherd as the #5 pick).

I suspect that in stronger draft classes in prior years both Williams and Sheppard would be mid-first round selections at best and would be tempted to stay in college to see if they could working their way into the top of the draft. They appear to be locks for the Top 5, so they will not be staying in college.

This is looking to be a NBA draft, where analytic heavy teams can mine gold outside of the top 10. NBAdraft has Virginia guard Reece Beekman as a late second round pick. I would not be surprised if analytic heavy teams have him as a late first round pick. His defense is already great and his offense should be good enough, for a backup 1.

14. j@amc

j@amc Member

The head coach is an exemplary recruiter who gets these guys with skill. Their lineup was just stacked with talent.

At times, they just rolled Grant-Foster the ball and said, “go.” He took 20% of their shots. Greattwo-way athlete. Curious to see how his pro career turns out.

No Worries likes this.
  15. TheBeastSystem

win the lottery take sarr trade jalen for reed

prs325 likes this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Can we talk about Tidjane Salaun? Anyone been watching this guy?

17. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

If we have a chance at RiseArcher that should be the pick. I call him Roland Garros because the dude is French Klay. Deadly shooter and smooth.

if he’s gone then select between Holland or Kel’el Ware. For us Ware makes more sense as he’s a lob threat and can hit threes at a good clip.

No Worries likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is such a terrible draft. The more I listen to people I trust that have actually been watching these prospects for a couple years, the more it’s clear…this draft is awful. The top level picks are mid-1st round or very late lotto in a normal draft.

I hope we trade the 24’ pick. We should be clutching our 25’ & 26’ picks like Charlton Heston clutched his gun.

19. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think most pundits are sleeping on Salaun at this point. He is an excellent floor spacer with legit Euro-3 point range. Not a ball stopper. Shows lots of skill and can finish. Nice size and length for a wing.

Defensively, you wonder how well he can guard NBA athletes, but my guess is that he figures that out.

Is 23-year old Dalton Knecht much better than current 18-year old Salaun? Hmmmm.

Does Salaun fit the Rockets? I guess that depends on if you want to give Amen Thompson an express pass to be the back up PG.

If Amen is playing in the backcourt immediately you could spend a pick on a wing/forward.

But if you want to keep Amen as a 3-guard (where he’ll do things like he’s been doing of late) then I would keep an eye on Castle, Dillingham, Shepherd, Holland, and Collier mix and see who falls.

Personally, I’d let Amen continue to grow as a finisher at this juncture and get a little more help with shooting or an initiator.

After 1/2 a season in the G-league, one of the guys above might be ready to help with a playoff push. Getting another guy in the pipeline would set up a strong trade deadline move as well.

If Salaun Is on the board and these other guys, we’ll get to see how good a GM/talent evaluator Stone actually is.

Many are down on this draft but call me an optimist, I think there’s strong talent in this space where the Nets pick will fall.

RedIsen and Aruba77 like this.
  20. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

If you are a team in need of your franchise guy this is not an easy draft to find one. Having said that, I definitely see guys that will be good players in this league and will contribute to winning. I identified three of them in my last post.

If we have an opportunity to flip this years pick into a pick next year or something of substance then I’m all for it. I keep the pick if we have a shot at Risarcher though as he’s perfect for this team.

Amel and cmoak1982 like this.