1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Age of Cultural Stagnation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course I am the one posting this... I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I must post articles about the downfall of the internet and society.

The algorithms fueling social media and the internet at large have homogenized almost all culture for the last decade plus. This would explain why things feel like one continuous cultural blur since the mid 2000s.

https://newrepublic.com/article/179432/age-cultural-stagnation?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

The Age of Cultural Stagnation
    Has tech plunged culture into an era devoid of originality and surprise?

Filterworld devotes several pages to discussion of the generic industrial-chic template that Instagram has helped popularize across café interiors from Kyoto to Reykjavik. Other examples of the Live-Laugh-Love-ification of aesthetics that social media has engineered are not hard to come by. Over the past 12 months, I’ve seen neon signs used to create “feature walls” at a potato-focused restaurant in Sydney (IT’S POTATO TIME), a gelato bar in Istanbul (GELATO YES / YOU MAYBE), and a vegan ramen stall in Los Angeles’ Grand Central Market (#RICHASSBROTH: a strong candidate for the world’s most unappetizing hashtag, broth-themed or otherwise)

Invisible Fan and rocketsjudoka like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

My iPhone is my culture.

MadMax, Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Intriguing

Rocket River

Xerobull likes this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

If I picture the 2020s I picture this:
    [​IMG]

7. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

8. Xerobull

Big yikes, bro. Pam is snack fire, frfr

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's CAP. She IS mid. Simping for Pam is huge L. Karen though - she stood on that business.

10. Xerobull

drag me

11. Buck Turgidson

This conversation is definitely a sign of cultural regression

MadMax likes this.
  12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't feel that way at all

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. droxford

droxford Member

14. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I feel like we have had 3 epochs since 2000.
    9/11
    Great Recession
    COVID

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve read another piece talking about this exact same thing in design. As an architect and someone who travels a lot it is noticeable how a hip cafe in Singapore will have similar decor and cutesy signs like a hip cafe in Iceland. A lot of this has to do with globalization and also the spread of English.

I brought this up about Dubai but a lot of global commercial culture now is what the French Philosopher Jean Baudrillard called “simulacra”. That so much is referential that much of design and branding is a reference to a reference. Or a simulation of a simulation. A such at the mall of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai you can get Dunkin Donuts, Five Guys burgers but not authentic local cuisine. The very appeal of the mall is that it could be a mall in Phoenix, Hong Kong or Sydney. It is placeless.

Invisible Fan and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have stated before in conversations with co-workers and friends that fashion wise everything has been done. There is nothing you can really do. Everything to an extent is just an amalgamation of what has already been done mixed together. Music is like this to an extent as well.

17. Xerobull

Agree to an extent, there aren't huge fashion trends anymore. Piercings are getting crazier and crazier. Lots of hair colors. Lots of accessorizing. A LOT more tattoos than ever. I guess it's just more '**** it, Imma do what I want' more than any other time.

And those stupid broccoli-head haircuts.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No worries. I geek out about this topic too.

Your link is a book review of Kyle Chayka's book. If anyone is interested in it, Chayka wrote a thought provoking article on Guardian that explains enough to make the review make more sense: The tyranny of the algorithm: why every coffee shop looks the same

I'll cut my thoughts brief unless there is interest.

That one line explains away all cultural "progress" of past decades where tastemakers in Mad Men ad agencies or retail product rooms heaped onto us Bellbottoms, Furbies, and platform shoes. The internet democratized this. Ads in TV commercials and radios also lost influence, and the feedback for trends went from months in a city to days and from years in a state to days.

I can't blame Big Tech for the algos. Many are nasty that force you to either fight, ****, or go awww, but the algos in Filterworld generally follow the Power Laws described by Shirkey before this millennium. In a fully democratic system, the best "ideas" (websites by Shirkey) win the largest share rather than the equal share. FB, Google, Amazon, pr0n sites, etc get 90-95% of the traffic while the remaining sites get the remaining 5-10%.

Algos aggregate data, all data then funnel you into categories. A skeptic could complain about "Open Sourcing" the algo, but it's still a boatload of data that promotes winners and losers.

Definitely the latter for the writer. For all his talk about culture, he never really defines what consumerism is. Aside from it's nasty soul stealing, mercenary image of a boogeyman, consumerism represents aspirations of choice, time/cost efficiencies, with the glorification of leisure, luxury, and affluence.

Culture can be about the interaction of consumed products, but it's more focused on output and producing things. Something I didn't see this guy mention contributing to at all.

A lot of the latter part of the article makes him sound like a bored and jaded millennial who wants "deprived" Zoomers, aka Stagnation Generation, to "make moar culture." I don't use tiktok or get it, but to claim it has zero culture means I'm even older for saying that than admitting that I don't use it.

It's not that algos made Big Tech colonize culture. It's more like ads and the people who purchase ad space (baristas, airbnb tenants...) now have better tools to see what reaches the most people in the best way with stats to back it up.

If you don't like your results, then fine tune them.

Or if you a Culture Assteete, you could make your own culture. Those 50 to 500 people who subscribe and follow will appreciate you. But if you blow up to 500k subs, gasp...please don't sell out to the imperialist algo! Our culture is at stake!

#18 Invisible Fan, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Ubiquitin and rocketsjudoka like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was the piece I was referring to in my post.

This isn't a new problem and consumerist mass culture has been an issue since the 1950's and writers like Baudrillard, Jane Jacobs and Kenneth Galbraith have been worry about how such culture is both very successful but can wipe out local or coopt local culture. Other writers like Chuck Palahnuik have warned about how emasculating it is in both very much the gender sense but also in a wider sense of removing originality and

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

and... Meaning?

The latest challenge is different in the sense that cultural trends doesn't necessarily begin from the top to bottom and bottom-up influencers are just as relevant. With power scaling, there are more low level YouTube commenters than blog writers with a masters in literature.

I doubt crocs would be a thing without the internet. There's no way it would be in stores or for a star to wear something ugly from startup.