1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Don't like Arlington getting Lorenzen. That seems like a sneaky, under the radar, Charlie Morton like signing.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Sugar Land needs the attendance boost with Brantley retired.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They are a great team, but Spring stats are pretty meaningless.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

They won 100 games and won the AL east last year. Is that also meaningless?

lnchan likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's pray the rosary tonight.

Tomstro likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you has said that in the initial post this chain wouldn't have started. They are a great team, may be better than us.

The fact that they have been so much better than us in ST means absolutely jack s**t.

7. Radricky

Radricky Member

They’ve got prospects to trade at the deadline.
    Hopefully their inexperience hurts them in the inevitable Astros orioles alcs

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nope. That is very meaningful. I think the Orioles are the best team in the MLB going into the season because they should only be better this year. Though a step back before taking a giant leap forward would also not surprise me. They are easily the best setup team for the next 5 years.

I just don't care about Spring stats, especially when half the guys playing are minor leaguers and journeymen trying to find a spot. We ranked 26th in OPS in Spring training back in 2017. We ranked 29th in 2022. I think things worked out just fine those 2 years.

IBTL likes this.
  9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

agreed. The O’s will have a lot of pressure on them from the Yankees and Blue Jays as well … not an easy division to win for such a young team. We shall see

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Are we talking about the same Baltimore team that got DOGGED in last years playoffs? Lol. Let's have them win a playoff series before we anoint them as this years WS champions.

everyday eddie and The Drake like this.
  11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

That team but adding the equivalent of rookie Carlos Correa and rookie Kyle tucker to it while everyone else matures and gets a year better.

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I’m not even looking at their 20-5 record. Im just looking at offensive production. They are crushing the ball this spring and we aren’t. It might actually mean something. You have no idea what it means. We will see though.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's see them prove it in the playoffs first. I don't care if they added 9 more all stars to that squad over the offseason. Lol.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. Screaming Fist

Lorenzen had a great first half and then turned into a big pile of **** after his no hitter. He's filler.

everyday eddie, Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. Screaming Fist

Dude Justin Dirden mania was only like a year ago.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I lost track.

Who are the player's still in camp competing for spots?

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Their established players are crushing the ball. They have a Dirden this year and his name is Cowser.

what they did last year, they did without Holiday. He will smash the ball when he is called up.

18. Screaming Fist

And if they weren't, would it matter? You just can't put any stock into this stuff outside of things like pitcher's stuff that isn't subject to much variance.

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. raining threes

I would say that Chas has been way above what you're describing. I mean he was the starting CF on a WS champ. He hit well in the playoffs/WS and had one of the most iconic catches in franchise history. Now they're hoping to get Meyers to this level. I notice how you left out lower regarded at the time prospects like Yordan/Diaz who were after thoughts in trades. Hopefully Loperfido will become a player that's somewhere between Chas and Diaz, chances of him becoming Yordan is like.00001 %. But if he can become like Chas or better, Diaz then those are borderline all star type players and every org will take that all day any day. Fact is the Stros farm system has been underrated for yrs and yet they keep producing ROY or top 5 ROY candidates every yr. Hardly marginal.

everyday eddie and No Worries like this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Chas when he made it to The Show (2021), most were hoping for an average OF. I suspect most here would have labeled Chas a backup OF, OF4 or OF5. The question would then be ... when the Astros brought Chas up, were they concerned about his service time? I suspect not.

I would consider Yordan and Yainer prime prospects, where service time games would be an issue.

I did not mention Yordan, since my memory was a little fuzzy on his first year (and was too lazy to google it). IIRC when Yordan was brought up the first time (2019), he had made his first Top 100 prospect list. And his first year might have had some injury concerns ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I do think that more than anything Yordan forced himself into The Show. The 2019 Astros were obviously one of the best teams in the league (even without Yordan) and odds on favorite to win the WS.

I do not remember discussions here wrt the Astros playing service time games with Yordan in 2019. Yordan played one half season in AAA for 2018 and one third season in AAA for 2019. Thus, Yordan got called up to The Show with about a full season in AAA, which seems to be reasonable for both Yordan and the Astros.

WRT Yainer Diaz, I also do not recall if there were any service time games.

#1000 No Worries, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024