1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Victor Wembanyama as a Spurs thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. TimDuncanDonaut

60 (stay) / 40(go) for me. Might not be to a Cali team per se, but Wemby strikes me as a person who cares about personal legacy. He left Tony Parker's French team, to go to a no name team so he could be featured for the draft lottery.

So if Spurs fail to build around him, I can see him bolting. If personal goals don't align with the org, 'loyalty' takes a back seat.

#981 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    roslolian likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right.

Every rookie gives their team 9 yrs to do something (rookie scale+1 extension). After that anything goes.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Top 10 players take over games on a routine basis, which leads to wins, which is why teams with top 10 players in this league don’t lose almost all of their games.

How many games did they win in that timeframe?

A season is not just 35 games. How many games did the Spurs win in that 35 game stretch?

TEAMS WITH GREAT PLAYERS WIN GAMES, PERIOD! You can try to eliminate/ignore that metric for the player you like, but you sound like the idiot. Winning matters. Sorry, it does.

Again I ask, list examples of top 10 players that lost like 75% of their games. I’ll wait….

4. Icehouse

7 to 10 seeds don’t lose 75% of their games. All NBA players are from lower level playoff teams all the time. Historically, one great player in this league equals playoff contention, and the posters that want you to ignore a high level of losing know this.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure, using all NBA (which is top 10 or 15) as a proxy, here's at least 9 players.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=...eam+with+team+winning+percentage+less+than.35

Should add a special mention to Kevin Durant, who didn't make all-NBA but probably should have for at least his second season despite being on 20-win teams to start his career, and to Wilt Chamberlain who had a lot of 30 win seasons during his early 60's statistical peak.

Anyway, you asked a question, I answered it.

Now I'm asking you a question. Is any player on any team with a winning record is better, right now today, than Victor Wembanyama, is that really what you're saying?

So like, every single member of the Boston Celtics is a better NBA player, right now today?

6. Icehouse

All NBA teams are position specific. Being considered a top player at your position does not equate to being a top 10 player in the NBA. For example, T-Mac and Mcdyess didn't receive a MVP vote in the seasons you mentioned. King won 35% of his games in the season you mentioned. He just got injured and only played 55. The other examples aren't from the modern era of basketball.

I never said anything like that. I didn't equate being on a good team to being a good player. I said in this sport, one player can make a significant impact, and players that are considered the best (like top 10) will carry their teams to not lose the majority of the games they play. This is the one league where you can insert one of the games best players onto any team and that team will be competitive, and not gutter trash. And any person that is a fan of this franchise should know how impactful one player can be more than anyone.

#986 Icehouse, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Didn't like the Hype to this day, that is the NBA in a nutshell today.

8. SamFisher

"Not enough W stats GG Jackson u da real MVP"- @Icehouse

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. Icehouse

Top 10 players do that enough while leading teams to wins. Wins, the opposite of losing the grand majority of games with you on the court. Not complex. Not out of the ordinary.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we will see more great prospects landing with smaller markets and still losing unless they get a good enough supporting cast......

Times change and I think you will see a lot of guys just distributed evenly throughout the league......

The league is just too competitive to suggest otherwise....

I never thought you could pair a very good to great coach and a bunch of youngsters and they make a Play In team right away.

Suppose the Rockets are it......imagine a couple of Rockets every and each year!

12. Icehouse

We have seen top 10 players carry garbage rosters to respectable win totals often. In this sport, one top 10 player will have that type of impact on wins and losses. You don’t have to look beyond our own franchise for an example.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He also plays for the worst coach in the nba and with the worst roster in the nba, few players have been set up to fail like he has. The fact that he's playing like a top 10-15 guy right now as a rookie is insane.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Spurs 2022-23: 22-60

Spurs 2023-24: 15-55

B-Bob likes this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Spurs two most used 5 man lineups

Wemby, Vassell, Jones, Sochan, Champagnie : +3.6 net rating in 369 minutes
    Wemby, Vassell, Jones, Sochan, Johnson : +19.9 net rating in 139 minutes

When you boil it down to their 3 best players together

Wemby, Vassell, Jones : +10.2 net rating in 752 minutes

For comparison our normal starting 5 : +0.4 net rating in 754 minutes
    Our best 3 man lineup with at least 500 minutes : FVV, Brooks and Sengun : +3.0 net rating in 1151 minutes

I think it’s a mistake to just look at the record and say Wembys high end impact isn’t there. Spurs roster sucks and they seem to avoid using their best lineup, probably to ensure more losing.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Wemby is the new reality, folks. Some people need to get used to this.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. SamFisher

"Wins over losses is the only stat that I wanna hear about Ernie! "