1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Apple+ Series] Masters of the Air (Spielberg & Hanks)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 11, 2024.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I must say, I would hate to be the lead navigator on any of those missions. Thats probably the hardest job there is for this particular set of fighting. You got everybody depending on you and your calculations alone, to get them there and back. Wooh. Too much responsibility for me.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

And the bomber, bombsight.

It's weird how my old relatives talked about WW2

The guys on the ground, it took a long, long time for them to open up and say things. The guys in the planes (fighters and bombers) liked to talk about it.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is a great show!

4-5 years ago, I assumed Apple TV+ would never find a groove. Glad to be wrong.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched the first two episodes and very good. One thing I noticed is that the cinematography is much brighter and feels sharper than other WWII movies and shows. I had started to get used to the washed out look that started with Saving Private Ryan that most war movies use now.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No more weird than dumbasses asking if there's anything woke in it.

Looking forward to watching this. I still watch BoB on the regular. I couldn't get into The Pacific for some reason. Maybe because Brothers is so freaking good, it's too hard to live up to.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is worth it....and better than the Pacific.

DD

7. Buck Turgidson

All 3 shows are different, naturally, but I personally really liked The Pacific. The John Basilogne Stateside/Australia parts of it made it drag, imo. Not sure how I'd post it, or if anyone would be interested at all, but I have a .pdf of a cousin of mine's "oral history" of his time in the Pacific and then his time in a Japanese POW camp.

Reminds me of how I liked Letters From Iwo Jima much, much more than Flags of Our Fathers

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

all kinds of interesting stuff coming up in my feed, this is quite good

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This show is amazing, I think they should do one about the Tuskegee Airman as their next thing......the Red Tails......

DD

10. Buck Turgidson

Naval War in the Pacific

(also, you may want to watch ep8)

DaDakota likes this.
  11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I really want to watch this but I dont have Apple+..............a new series is coming to Prime and I don't have that either :eek: Can we friggin pare down all the dam streaming services or bundle more, this is ridiculous.

12. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Do you have a square to spare?

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Looks like they listened to you.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Was it my eyes being tired but seemed like last night's episode was darker than previous.

I love the cinematography of this show. Heck, I watch the intro every week.. even it is amazing.

15. Buck Turgidson

Didn't notice, but could the weather during that actual time have played into that?

If so, that's a pretty awesome little detail to include.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I could be in the minority here, but I've become increasingly frustrated and disappointed with this series. For a show that chronicles the triumphs and tragedies of aerial combat during WWII, it sure seems to have an aversion to the actual combat. I get you can't focus entirely on the battles or else it could become repetitive, but to skip and gloss over so many different missions only to focus on more character development seems like wasted potential. And sure, Band of Brothers and The Pacific (to greater extent) had those slower, character-driven moments, but I felt those two series balanced out the horrific battles with the calmer moments. Master of Air storytelling seems a bit disjointed and the show suffers for it.

Still enjoyable, but not the level of perfection Band of Brothers was nor did it reach the same bar as The Pacific.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Depends on what you are looking for.

I enjoyed the series very much and the balance of documentary vs. character was fine. IMO, the focus on combat in early episodes set the table for more emphasis on the characters later. That said, I wouldn't have minded more battle and bloodshed.

18. Buck Turgidson

How many minutes/hours can you spend watching the interior of a bomber?

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

will captain winters be making a cameo?

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Actually, probably quite a bit! But I get it, you can't spend the whole the time in the air. Wish we could have given a little more though as the show, as is, wasn't quite what I expected.