1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final 20 games - what are your expectations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They definitely talked about phase 2. I don't actually recall anyone outlining what phase 2 looked like for us though. The only person I remember mentioning the playoffs as a goal this year was Udoka. Did he fail?

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Where is the evidence that Stone is pressuring Udoka to play Jalen? I really don't see Udoka as the kind of coach to just go along with the GM if he doesn't think it's the right thing for the team. Please show me the receipts. I'd love to see a link to an interview or legitimate article that even alludes to this theory.

It seems a lot more likely to me that you want to believe in Udoka, which makes Stone the easy scapegoat for you.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Because we are still so incredibly young. 5 of our rotation players started the season at age 21 or younger, and the 6th guy (who is only 22) missed nearly the entire season. We were, by nature, going to be relying on internal development for a lot of our improvement, and that takes time and experience.

Sure, if the mandate were "trade everybody and do whatever it takes to make the playoffs no matter what it costs", then you would expect us to at least have a winning record--and I think we could have, as dubious as I am about Stone's roster-building skills.

But if we're trying to build long-term around our young core, we're not going to be very good until they have more age and experience under their collective belts. There's only so much you can do when the majority of your team's minutes are going to guys who are so young.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

it'll b doggin it until our lottery position is locked... then maybe a couple wins towards the end once there are no additional ping pongs to miss out on...

6. dmoneybangbang

Don't need to make the play-in, but finish the season strong with some improved development.

ico4498 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

As crazy as this may sound the Rockets could win the next 6 in a row. Cavs are injured. Wizards are beatable. Not likely but very possible.

8. DJ

DJ Member

Looks like you are on to something! The Rockets are impressing me.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Uh oh, team is better offensively and defensively, if they finish like this…….

DD

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

We might actually clear that 35 win threshold in the next four games, yeah--maybe. Still have to take care of business and the Bulls and Jazz are right around our level. Problem is, we mostly play winning teams the last 10 games. So I can see us getting right there, especially if we win against the Warriors, but still struggling to close out a potential play-in spot at the end of the season.

Fingers crossed.

11. kpdark

kpdark Member

something clicking within the team and it's time for the youngsters to put in work to be the Rockets' franchise players

12. DaDakota

It is obvious what is different, a certain plodding center is not clogging the paint.

DD

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

These teams aren't even good. No real contender in sight. ;)

HardenReturns likes this.
  14. DaDakota

Yeah, but they look better on D, and O - more fluid, everyone's numbers are up with more fast paced action and the lane open to drive and attack.

I mean, it is obvious this team looks better without Sengun, but will they keep that up, and would the org pivot this summer?

To me, Jalen and Sengun don't fit....

DD

vince likes this.
  15. vince

vince Member

That’s my thinking too…. I really like Sengun and Green, but somehow those guys don’t produce synergy. Either Sengun excels and Green sputters, or Green goes on a scoring tear and Sengun fades into mediocrity.

But Jalen Green is showing he is a legit NBA SG, quite possibly elite. If the rumored Green plus all Nets draft picks for Bridges was true, then everyone at the Nets front office should be fired. And Tillman better realize that Stone isn’t the guy to lead this team’s player mauvers; he’s been saved by his own lucky chin chin instead of by himself being good.

16. DaDakota

They can fit, I just don't think they have yet.

DD

vince likes this.
  17. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Man, I knew we were a longashot for the playoffs at the beginning of the year, but I tell ya what....

I REALLY wish we hadn't blown that game to the Clippers.

Not only would it have been incredibly satisfying to beat Harden, but we'd be on an 8-game winning streak heading towards the play-ins and only 2.5gms out.

It is what it is, I expected almost .500 ball this year and that's about where we are. Expectations are met, but dayum I wish they were exceeded lol.

Ancient Moabite and BaselineFade like this.
  18. Ancient Moabite

Also tricky thing is certain teams like Miami rests multiple guys each game for whatever made up reason to meet load manage policy

So it will be interesting to see how teams treat their star players final week or so of season as far as rest is concerned

But with the injuries that last stretch may be too much, I just want to see competitive games, if they lose the 2-3 games that is progress

Hell its progress that you got a rookie like Amen saying he wants to win out n make playoffs(in)

That's a victory to this season in itself

peleincubus and OremLK like this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We would have a solid 2.5 game lead for the play in if we were in the Leastern Conference.

OremLK and Ancient Moabite like this.
  20. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Some of this is on FVV and IME. The offense did nothing but Fred to Sengun. Not AS's fault but they didn't use their assets properly. Lately they've taken Jalen out of purgatory and let him also handle the ball and you can tell his confidence has grown as well as everyone else's on the team. Play to this team's strengths by playing fast and aggressive and they look a ton better. You get involved in the offense and your defensive aggressiveness picks up, never get the ball in a position of your strength and you become frustrated and your overall play suffers