1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

To be fair, Bridges is under contract at $23M next year and $25M the year after--but it's extremely unlikely we'll be contending for a title in the next two seasons, so I don't know if that helps us. And when he's wanting a new contract (probably max money or nearly max money like you said) he will already be 30. Just don't think he's worth a big haul of draft capital. There's a price where he makes sense, but it seems to be nowhere close to what Brooklyn is demanding.

Corpusfan, roslolian and BallSoHarden like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

All the reports on what Brooklyn was offered, want appear to have come from Brooklyn. It really sounds like Brooklyn was trying to get Stone to make an overpay by creating an anchoring bias.

I like Bridges. I just think the Rockets don't have the assets to get him and a No.1 or No. 2 star. I think one of these lotteries, the Nets pick will hit big and while OKC may have a larger quantity of picks, that Top 4 pick will carry more weight in trades or to keep.

BallSoHarden and OremLK like this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I was just wondering which swap happened first. And yes, with OKC and Brooklyn's trajectories that kind of jump is a very plausible scenario next season. Considering the prospects at the top of the 2025 draft look to be better than 2024's I'd consider the swap invaluable.

vince and roslolian like this.
  4. Ish

Ish Member

We get bridges and no way he's not leaving for Knicks

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If you get him it’s for 2 years and you let him walk, he will be a total albatross on his next deal

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If you only get him for 2 years it's an absolute waste of assets - there's no championship window in those first two years and that's what expending the assets is all about - creating the opportunity to win it all.

kspires999 and BallSoHarden like this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He’s not someone who will impact if we win it all, I’m completely against trading for him unless the price is small

kspires999 and majicdonjuan like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

1/8 from the field in 29 minutes against the Pacers tonight (25th ranked defense). This dudes post all-star numbers are looking like Dillon Brooks on a bad month.

[​IMG]

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

CF loses their **** cuz Stone held Tate too long (omg missed out on an additional 2nd round pick) but if the leaks are true Nets turned down a King's ransom for Bridges lol.

10. MystikArkitect

So let's say the Rockets got the 16th pick, the Thunder 27 and the Nets 4. Then the Rockets would pick 4, the Thunder 16 and the Nets 27?

roslolian likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

According to Clutch's tweet, yes. Which swap goes first is extremely important. The difference is between getting the best and the worst of the three picks. Given OKC's high standing, we definitely don't want getting their pick.

MrButtocks likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

Jalen Green is trending and it's not due to hot older chicks or 28% shooting.
    Gotta love it.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thank you guys. I never considered how that would work next offseason draft.

Poor Nets. Glad I don't follow that team. NYC teams just can not get out of their own way. Always short sighted and not built for the long run.

roslolian and Easy like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Okc has the option to swap with Hou. Hou has the option to swap with bkn. Okc does not have the option to swap with bkn. So if Hou has a better pick than Okc, Okc would swap for that, and then we would swap okc’s pick for Bkn’s.

joshuaao and j@amc like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

16. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I know Mikal is probably tired, and I can’t deny that he played great last season…but I can’t help but to be reminded of that one season when we brought in Trevor Ariza, fresh off his championship with the Lakers, to be our star.

Just an excellent role-player being forced to do too much, in my opinion. I’m so glad the trade didn’t go through

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ariza was getting paid 7M a year so we never brought in Ariza to be a star otherwise we would have paid him more.

Morey paid 18M for Ryan Anderson. That dude was expected to be the star not Ariza.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would still love to upgrade from Brooks to Bridges. In that kind of role he would be a perfect 3rd scorer. If one of Whitmore or Green is set to become a big scorer alongside Sengun, can’t Bridges be the 3rd scorer? I definitely believe he can do that.

Adams, Bridges, Bari, Tari, Amen, FVV on the same team as defenders could be mind blowing. We could legitimately secure #1 defense in the NBA with that next season. Improving the shooting from 3 will open up more space for us too and we will more easily be able to punish teams for doubling Sengun. He’s offensively much better than Brooks who struggles sometimes when we increase the pace. We don’t need him to create so much, just to have his offensive role made way easier and get back to playing the type of defense he played in Phoenix (DPOY caliber). Let Fred collect 10+ assists per night and make everyone’s shots easier.

Would happily cash in Brooks for a frp then send that FRP plus their 2024 pick plus an expiring contract for Bridges. I doubt they get a better offer than that on draft night.

Btw Brooks has been amazing this season, nothing wrong with his contract. Just about the redundancy in wing defenders and I’d take Bridges, Tari and Amen for sure over him. Jabari for his size, that dude is going to be a strong, switchable 6’11 with 7’1 wingspan in his prime and under Udoka’s tutelage. Even if we keep Brooks, expect us to be a top 5 defensive team for a long time.

joshuaao and Y2JT like this.
  19. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

You're thinking of his second tenure, the first time when he came from the Lakers he was absolutely pushed to be THE guy pre Harden...he came back to be a 3 and D role player 4 yrs later after stints with the Pel's and Wizards.

Roomba, roslolian and Mathloom like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I vaguely remember Ariza's first stint but looking at this his salary was even lower at only 5M so I don't think he was pushed to be "the man" when Jeremy Lin made more than him:
    https://hoopshype.com/player/trevor-ariza/salary/

I remember pre Harden Morey tried to get LeBron, Melo, Bosh, Al Horford and when he got rejected by everyone he offered 4/72 to Kent Bazemore. That's the type of money you pay to someone you expect to be man back in the day IMO not 5M.